PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Building the Program

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Building the Program

Postby pwnyxpress » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:15 pm

We can dream
pwnyxpress
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:01 pm

smupony94 wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:I would name my first born LB if he won a title here. Mark it!

You have a couple of kids running around Thailand and Amsterdam

Who doesn't?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:06 pm

smupony94 wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:I would name my first born LB if he won a title here. Mark it!

You have a couple of kids running around Thailand and Amsterdam

They are named Phil Bennett and Mike Dement. I was a little too excited.
smusic 00

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:26 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I've said it before, but we're making a move towards the sustainable. The first few years were hot and heavy, build from nothing, leave a trail of vapors. It worked on the court, it's just chaos everywhere else. Now, we've been tagged by the NCAA, gotten the tourney monkey off our back and have radically changed the types of kids we prospect. Some of that is settling in to what this job and program is and isn't, some of it is staff turnover.

That said, the '15 class was really good. IF Carter gets cleared, he's a steal and we may still not be done in '15, imagine that. Most of the kids are legit students from quality families. If '16 goes that way, we're in the best shape we've ever been in w/regards to year to year success. The first 3 years were a blast, but that methodology will crash and burn eventually. Glad we've started to do what makes sense for keeping us top 20 competitive as opposed to white elephant hunting
interesting thoughts - yes I guess we can hunker down and figure out who we are now. Those transfers were solid and hopefully we can snag some tough ones for '16 and beyond to sustain
GiddyUp

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Bottom line, and I'm reiterating what hoopmanx has said before, we're better off going for guys in top 50-150 range who can qualify, stay in school, and develop for 3-4 years than going for the quick touchdown strikes like Mudiay and Frazier. More often than not we're going to strike out on those kids (Tyler Davis, Elijah Thomas, Myles Turner, Marques Bolden, etc) and a lot of times you've got to go through some shady hurdles to get them (see: Frazier). Or they go play in [deleted] China like Mudiay.
East Coast Mustang

Postby The Falcon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:58 pm

I am excited about Jordan Tolbert. I think he will become one of our stars this year.
I have watched him shoot around prior to SMU home games and the young man can
score. In fact - he led Tech in scoring and rebounding as a freshman and in his Jr.
year, he was 2nd on Tech in both scoring and rebounding.

Along with Kennedy, he will be a rebounding machine. He is very active and rugged for
a 6' 7" forward.

Actually, I am excited about the whole team. This will be a very good year, and that
is saying something in that '14/15 and 13/14 were outstanding. I can hardly wait to
see Moody rock n roll this year.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:00 am

The Falcon wrote:I am excited about Jordan Tolbert. I think he will become one of our stars this year.
I have watched him shoot around prior to SMU home games and the young man can
score. In fact - he led Tech in scoring and rebounding as a freshman and in his Jr.
year, he was 2nd on Tech in both scoring and rebounding.

Along with Kennedy, he will be a rebounding machine. He is very active and rugged for
a 6' 7" forward.

Actually, I am excited about the whole team. This will be a very good year, and that
is saying something in that '14/15 and 13/14 were outstanding. I can hardly wait to
see Moody rock n roll this year.

Agreed. We won't have the inherent size advantage that we had on many teams last year, but Kennedy and Tolbert together will push a lot of people around in the paint. Also, having two incoming PGs will take some of the ballhandling responsibilities off Nic and should allow him better scoring opportunities. And when Semi gets eligible in December -- watch out!
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Would have been great to have Semi play against Gonzaga and Michigan...
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Bottom line, and I'm reiterating what hoopmanx has said before, we're better off going for guys in top 50-150 range who can qualify, stay in school, and develop for 3-4 years than going for the quick touchdown strikes like Mudiay and Frazier. More often than not we're going to strike out on those kids (Tyler Davis, Elijah Thomas, Myles Turner, Marques Bolden, etc) and a lot of times you've got to go through some shady hurdles to get them (see: Frazier). Or they go play in [deleted] China like Mudiay.

Then you've resigned yourself to never having a final four team
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Blvd_Stang » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Then you've resigned yourself to never having a final four team

See Butler, Wichita State, VCU....

And with LB it's not to say we'll never get a 5-star. Just not the only priority in building the program.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Play the right way
smupony94

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Lock arms. Keep hitting the tree in the same spot. And it would be nice if we could get a rebound
RGV Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Bottom line, and I'm reiterating what hoopmanx has said before, we're better off going for guys in top 50-150 range who can qualify, stay in school, and develop for 3-4 years than going for the quick touchdown strikes like Mudiay and Frazier. More often than not we're going to strike out on those kids (Tyler Davis, Elijah Thomas, Myles Turner, Marques Bolden, etc) and a lot of times you've got to go through some shady hurdles to get them (see: Frazier). Or they go play in [deleted] China like Mudiay.

Then you've resigned yourself to never having a final four team[/quote]

That's crazy talk. To really have a shot at winning it, you need roughly 3 NBA prospects and a bunch of successful overseas types. Developing pro's is something this staff can do in the 35-150 range. '16 is so deep, the top 250 is like most years 150.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 pm

We aren't prepared for top 15 so let's enjoy what we have
smupony94

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 pm

smupony94 wrote:We aren't prepared for top 15 so let's enjoy what we have

Prepared in what way?
hoopmanx