PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jimmy Patsos

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jimmy Patsos

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:49 pm

What do you think of Jimmy Patsos, Gary Williams 13 year assistant at Maryland? Is he going to get a head job anywhere or does he even want the headache?

Nacho
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jimmy Patsos

Postby mulletmike » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:51 am

Nacho, I know Jimmy Patsos quite well and have for some time. He's a helluva guy and a truly sick recruiter. As for him and SMU, here is the problem.

1) He spent 10+ years on the Terp staff as a 3rd assistant or grad assistant type. Developed tremendous ties, but never hit the recruit trail or X and O'd until two years ago. He's still the #2 assistant at Maryland behind Dave Dickerson.

Not entirely sure you want to hire a guy who has that little experience in diagraming offense/defense etc at crucial times. may need grooming as a #1 guy first.

He was bumped up after Billy Hahn took the LaSalle job and has been seamless. His recruiting expertise will become legendary at Maryland. He recruits the west coast and Texas for the Terps.

He is best friends w/the Pump Bros at Pump'N'Run in LA. They handed Maryland Nik Caner Medley for pretty much bumping up Patsos. Nik wasn't that highly regarded b/c he played HS ball in Maine. However, he's Adidas and spent summers in LA. He D'up Lebron James in the Pump and Run Easter Tourney a few back and did very well. Medley is Patsos first recruit and the first, from a recruiting perspective, from the West Coast in a looong time. People at Maryland love Patsos eye on this one b/c Gary offered w/o really even seeing Nik, just took Patsos' word. Nik is an ultra athletic hard [deleted] at 6-8 220.

This year, Patsos killed LA and got both DJ Strawberry and prize recruit Ekene Ibekwe. Maryland has never had such presence in LA and its all Patsos.

As for taking the job, Jimmy would definately listen.

2) If any assistant is ready from the Terp staff, its Dave Dickerson. He'd contemplate the SMU position, is Marylands #1 assistant and spent a long stint at #2 as well as being recruiting coordinator.

Was offered the College of Charleston job last year and turned it down for a variety of reasons. Virginia asst Tom Herrion took that post and is doing very well.

Dickerson gave Indiana the Maryland gameplan in the NCAA tourney last year before Indy played Dook. Peaved many in the ACC that Dickerson would help a non-league foe, but Terp faithful loved it. Indiana coach gave Dickerson all the credit after the victory.

Lastly, both these guys would be great prospects for SMU for several reasons. One, the timing is right. Both would love to jump the Terp ship for a good mid-major opportunity. Neither expects to get offers from major majors yet and w/Gary Williams getting up in age, both need to cut their teeth and be successful as the head man, before being in the list of candidates to replace GW.

Both Patsos and Dickerson would get serious ballers to consider SMU. Dickerson is a very good X's and O's guy, not to sure about jimmy yet.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Mullet. CBSsportsline has an article regarding assistant coaches and up-and-coming mid-major head coaches. Patsos name was mentioned. I knew you would have the true Maryland scoop.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:16 pm

Mulletmike:

As a fanatic Maryland fan (dad played there a zillion years ago), it's good to read some Terps talk! Thanks for your insight.

I saw an interview with Gary Williams a couple of months ago .... what is he, 60-ish? He said then that he could see himself coaching another 10 years. If that's the case, maybe these assistants should take a head coaching job someplace else, or they'll turn into Bill Guthridge, 50-year assistant coaches.

Good stuff!
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby mulletmike » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:45 pm

whatasteve, thats somewhat the point, I think. Gary loves staff continuity, but these guys, Dickerson in particular, are ready. If they are ever to get a chance at the Terp job, post GW, they need to take the resume a step further. Also, many players that GW would like to add into the coaching pipeline. See Duane Simpkins etc. After a few years in the NBA, hopefully, Blake is a 3rd assistant candidate from what I hear.

For the first time in forever, the Terps have lots of major D1 coaches that have out-clauses for Maryland. See Mike Brey at Notre Dame. Finally being regarded as a top 5 coaching job. anyway, it'll take a serious candidate to ring it up. Many would like to see Dave Dickerson get that shot, but he needs seasoning as a head. SMU would be a great fit.

He'd recruit like nobodies business.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby mulletmike » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:09 pm

BTW, the only reason I know Jimmy is b/c for all those years as 3rd assistant, to make ends meet, he'd bartend at 3rd Editions in Georgetown. My Dad went to school w/Gary and they are long-time golfing buddies, so Jimmy and I knew each other a little, before his bartending stint. My penchant for all things basketball and booze made me regular and we became friends.

Believe me, Jimmy is a fine mind and should be considered for jobs like SMU. After I went out west and got started in AAU, it became very clear who the real players were, and what colleges they were sweet on. To see the in-roads Patsos made, in basically no time, was sick. By his efforts, Maryland recruiting went truly national in one year. Thats high-praise.

If he ran SMUs program, he'd vastly improve the talent level quickly. He'd also recruit Texas and supplement w/SoCal.

Can you tell, the ideas growing on me. LOL!
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby whatasteve » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:50 pm

Duane Simpkins? Wasn't he run off the team when he was at Maryland for having hundreds of outstanding parking tickets? Or was that someone else?
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby mulletmike » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:31 pm

That was him. he's now the radio color commentatorfor the AU basketball team. 4 year starter for Morgan Wooten and 3 for Gary. cleaned up his act a ton. Got his degree, paid his tickets and is a real positive influence in PG County.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Return to Basketball