PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boise

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Boise

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:53 pm

Big game tonight at Boise.
Boise is favored by 1.
We could use this one. If we are going to make any kind of run in the WAC tourney we need to finish strong and secure a 3-4 seed.
Play that 1-3-1 zone a little if you have to but only man will stop the 3 consistently.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Boise

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:29 pm

If history is any indication, SMU will lose by double figures. Dement always loses important games towards the end of the season.
Johnny Rock

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:45 pm

I dont like the 1-3-1 either for the most part. The only time I have seen it work is when we play all out on the traps trying to actually create turnovers. SMU cannot play a 'soft' trapping zone, it gets carved up outside and from the baseline too. The argument about not having enough depth to play man all game is fine I guess, but I think you have to take your chances being aggressive on defense. Man is hard when you dont switch on screens, but man to man can actually be easier than a 1-3-1 if the guards switch on screens.
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:13 pm

I am boldly predicting an SMU win tonight, even though it is a big game. Boise's best big man, 6-7 Aaron Humphrey (?), is hampered by a sprained wrist. He had been averaging about 14 ppg. Their other top scorer is a guard who also averages 14 ppg. To my knowledge he is not injured. Is Tonya Harding anywhere near Boise? We could use her about now.
Nacho

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:09 am

I like the prediction Nacho Image Dement has involved the bench early, I love it.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:05 am

yea, we win ON THE ROAD...wow!!!
Hopkins 19pts!!
Pony_Fan

Postby Arkpony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:40 am

A win is a win is a win! Go Ponies!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:01 am

right you are, Ark Pony. I will take winning "ugly" any day vs. the alternative. Our guys seem to be playing more determined defense. After Boise hit those 1st two 3-pointers, sounded like we got in their faces and good defense lead to some transition baskets that got us going.

I will be quite content if we put together a 7 game winning streak and shock everyone by being the WAC's representative in the Big Dance. This is one of those year's where it just might happen, although Tulsa looked good last night. I'd like to at least see us win these last 2 regular season games and a 1st round tourney game to have something to build on for next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:37 am

UTEP beat La Tech last night.
Seems like nothing is easy in the WAC.
Need that UTEP win which seemed like a sure thing a couple of days ago.
Good D will carry a team a long way.
BTW congrats to BHop on a great game.
Nacho

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:34 am

It's amazing how much better this team is if BHop hits 40% of his FGs. If he can keep shooting and playing D like he did last night, this team can be good. Another good game by Simpson and the always valuable Q. Overall a very good road win.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby mulletmike » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:56 am

I'm happy w/the "w". Take'm how we can get'm. Need to close strong and make a run in the WAC Tourney
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby PonyGirl » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:18 pm

With every game I see or hear, the more confidence I gain that Patrick Simpson is going to be a top-flight player in this league. He has to really take over offensively next year.

Great win - Go Ponies!
PonyGirl
Varsity

Return to Basketball