PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Go Back In Time in the DeLorean....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Go Back In Time in the DeLorean....

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm

For you older guys, take a trip back to 1982 and we're all sitting at Cardinal Puff's on Greenville. I lay down some dough for a friendly wager and make this proclamation:

In 2015, SMU and Baylor will have the two best college basketball teams in Texas; TCU and Baylor will be the best college football teams and TCU will be in the mix for a national championship; and RICE, TCU and DBU (Dallas Baptist) will have the three best college baseball teams in Texas. The strong state schools, TU, A&M and TTech wont even be in the discussion.

What would you have said?
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Re: Go Back In Time in the DeLorean....

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:04 pm

"wow! 25 years strong at that point..Bliss will have a statue out in front of Moody for sure."

"Teaff obviously will have laid a strong foundation...I'd have to think SMU would still be going strong too...A&M sounds like they will still been doing what A&M does, languishing away as a middling team just trying to compete with UT every year..and yeah, sounds like UT never really got over the hump...that's the foundation Akers laid. I can see how Tech probably won't recover after Gerald Meyers retired..as for football, yeah way out there in Lubbock is kind of an afterthought so I don't see much changing there."

"and baseball..well, if the Maine Black Bears can get to the CWS all these times I suppose those three can in the future"
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:19 pm

Ah Puffs ! I helped Ahearn (RIP) open Puffs (i think summer '70 or '71) when it was a drive-thru at the NWC of Greenville and University. The good old days, but back then we didn't wager. Just spent a lot of time studying !
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Wonder what the conversation would be 25 years from now...
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:47 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:Ah Puffs ! I helped Ahearn (RIP) open Puffs (i think summer '70 or '71) when it was a drive-thru at the NWC of Greenville and University. The good old days, but back then we didn't wager. Just spent a lot of time studying !

wasn't there a bar called the "Stables"? outside sitting. bought 6 pitchers and the 7th was free
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:07 pm

I'd be 2 years old. Why would you bet with a minor?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Yes, the Stables was The spot. Two frat brothers were the owners. Its' life was from about '68 to '78, as I recall. One of the owners then opened The Railhead, just off Greenville at Park
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:22 pm

I "illegally" worked at the Stables. Scholarship players could not have jobs at that time, but I was not good enough to warrant a paycheck.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Ginnie Bear's and the Waterhole too. Loved Cardinal Puff's when it was a beer garden
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Rhythm Room
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Daddy's money?
gostangs

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm

bubba pony wrote:
panhandle_pony wrote:Ah Puffs ! I helped Ahearn (RIP) open Puffs (i think summer '70 or '71) when it was a drive-thru at the NWC of Greenville and University. The good old days, but back then we didn't wager. Just spent a lot of time studying !

wasn't there a bar called the "Stables"? outside sitting. bought 6 pitchers and the 7th was free

At Stables you labeled your own plastic beer mug, washed it out and hung it up for your next visit. You sat on bales of hay and kicked the straw around the floor. Yep, was an old barn or stable at one time when there was nothing but open land along Greenville that was farmed or ranched. Good old days.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:08 am

I remember what a "meet market" the Stables was and seem to recall a 10 cent beer night
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU89 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:For you older guys, take a trip back to 1982 and we're all sitting at Cardinal Puff's on Greenville. I lay down some dough for a friendly wager and make this proclamation:

In 2015, SMU and Baylor will have the two best college basketball teams in Texas; TCU and Baylor will be the best college football teams and TCU will be in the mix for a national championship; and RICE, TCU and DBU (Dallas Baptist) will have the three best college baseball teams in Texas. The strong state schools, TU, A&M and TTech wont even be in the discussion.

What would you have said?

Let's go get our hand stamped at Confettis; so, we don't have to wait in the line later.
SMU89

Postby longbuzzer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 pm

How about the Lyon's Pub on Yale (north side, several buildings east of 75)? Owned and run by Gerald Smythe of Highland park, it featured a beer garden in the front behind a wooden fence, with loose rocks on the ground and wooden picnic tables. The building was a converted house.

The bar had beer on tap, sometimes Lone Star bottles on ice.

Other amenities: Hamburgers and sandwiches from a kitchen in the back. Fussball and pin ball in the game room. Speakers on the walls, usually blaring Moody Blues or Hendrix.

An SMU law school grad, Avril Sweitzer was the pin ball king. He also went on to fame as setting the Guiness Book of Records mark with the most simultaneous, non-contested divorces at one time.

There was also a smoking loge, outside next to the bathroom room windows, for those that were taking a minor in Colorado Agriculture. Rumor was the ladies window, painted over, had a small hole scratched out for settling bets on color of underwear.

I used to park across the street on the South side of Yale, for a clear view of the street. Saw Mickey Mantel many times in that parking lot, as he was also interested in safety when leaving the Executive Tower bar where the Playboy Club was later located.

I bar tended for two years at the Playboy while in graduate school (finished three degrees in EE). More stories on that if asked.

Boy, that DeLorean ride sure does work.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball