PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isham

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Isham

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:45 am

It was good to see the I-Man have a solid game. I hope he is back after disappearing for a while. When he plays well, it really takes the pressure off of Q to do everything. BHop had a great game, Simpson and Csatro had very good ones and the bench contributed, especially Kelley on D giving good rests for Castro and Simpson. It was particually nice to see a win when Q had a rare off shooting night
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Isham

Postby PonyGirl » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:26 pm

You know, I'm glad you mentioned Jibran Kelley. He's played his tail off, and has always worked really hard. When Coach Dement pulls him, he never seems to complain, and he goes about his job with an energy and enthusiasm that should be copied by his teammates. Jibran has been a lot of fun to watch, and he's been a really underrated player.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:02 pm

Jibran works hard and I've always liked his attitude. I had hoped to see him get an offensive game going but he is a big contributor to this team because of the way he plays defense and hustles. I wish he was going to be around another year.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:04 pm

Me too - JK plays the game the way it should be played: hard, but fun.

Remember last year at the beginning of the season when he suddenly concluded he was a 3-point shooter? He tossed in a bunch of 3s with the most effortless flick of the wrist -- and has hardly tried any since. Has Coach Dement told him not to shoot? I thought he looked good out there last year.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:50 pm

This post was started about Justin Isham and the focus switched to Jibran. While I agree Kelley has gone about his work and played his role with class, I'm very impressed by Isham and see him as a big key to our success these next couple of years. Last night was the 2nd game this year he's been PERFECT in his shooting: 2-2 FG (one trey) and 4-4 FT. In addition, he pulls down 7 defensive boards (suggesting he's playing good D and blocking out well) to go along with a blocked shot. He also dishes out 4 assists vs. only 2 turnovers. Justin has the best FG shooting percentage of all of our guards and has the best assist/turnover ratio at 1.5 to 1. The guy knows his role and is not out to carry the scoring load, but he's a solid contributor who shows good judgment in terms of when to shoot and he's an unselfish player. I look for Justin to be the kind of player who improves every year.

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 02-28-2003).]
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:10 pm

Isham also plays with a lot of enthusiasm and hustle. He's going to be a great Mustang for us over the next two years.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyte » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:33 pm

With a little luck, our bench is starting to gel at the right time of the season. I wonder if our recent improvment in defense has help Isham and Kelly's game?
ponyte

Return to Basketball