PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC Tourney seedings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WAC Tourney seedings

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:26 pm

Right now SMU is 9-7 and tied with La. Tech. It appers that the first three will be Fresno, Nevada and Tulsa. If we run the table we could end up 4th or 5th and play probably Rice in the first round. If we lose to La. Tech we could end up 5-6 and play Rice, Tulsa La. Tech or Nevada in the first round. Tulsa has the ability to make up some ground on Nevada and could overtake them if they run the table. Rice has a very tough schedule left and could fall to sixth. It should be a WACy weekend.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: WAC Tourney seedings

Postby Hoss » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:51 pm

Based on this season, shouldn't we be hoping for a matchup with Rice?
Hoss
All-American

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:04 pm

Looks to me like 2-6 seeds are up for grabs. Nevada is currently in 2nd but could easily slip down the ladder. Mathematically we could still end up as the second seed if everything fell right. From the 3rd seed on down it's going to be tough to advance.

Favorite is Fresno but Tulsa as the home team could win it. All others are longshots with Boise, UTEP and SJSU as prohibitive.

Are other sites ever going to get this tournament? Seems unfair for Tulsa to get it every year. I can see it going from an east to a west site on alternate years. Whatever happened to Reno as a site? Tulsa one year then Reno the next seems fair to me.
Nacho

Postby TUfan » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:10 pm

Fresno was supposed to host the Tournament this season, but the SMC wasn't going to be ready in time, so they passed it back to Tulsa. Next year the Tourney will be in Fresno. And the year after that in Reno.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:11 pm

The key is for us to be on the opposite side of Fresno AND Tulsa. I really don't care if we finish 3rd or 6th (obviously would prefer 3rd, but it doesn't really matter).

In my opinion, the big thing for us is for Tulsa to finish 4th or 5th, and us NOT to finish 4th or 5th.

Something just tells me this is our year. It doesn't make sense, but it just seems to me that it finally is OUR turn.

F___ Van Horn.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:48 pm

RI, I think the 4 vs 5 game against Rice is most likely right now and the best matchup we can hope for. La Tech lost bad to Boise today and appears very beatable at Moody all of a sudden. The problem with playing Rice would be trying to beat a team a third time when the talent is very comparable. Gotta avoid playing Tulsa in the first round, it sounds terrible but I would rather lose Q's last game at home than have to play Tulsa in the first round.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball