PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Breakout player

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Breakout player

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Sterling already is a 44% 3 point shooter-which is freaking outstanding. He should have the confidence in the future as an upperclassman to find and let those 3s go more often.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:07 pm

I would argue his percentage is that high because of how selective he is with 3 point shots.

I can remember multiple times when he passed an open 3 because his feet weren't set in time, or a defender had a chance to close out.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:06 am

its time. Ben is already going to be a junior. seems like yesterday he threw down that dunk against Rhode Island at the Garland Events Center announcing his arrival as a freshman. i look for him to take the next step in maturity and have a huge year.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony147 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:01 am

Hoop Fan wrote:its time. Ben is already going to be a junior. seems like yesterday he threw down that dunk against Rhode Island at the Garland Events Center announcing his arrival as a freshman. i look for him to take the next step in maturity and have a huge year.

Let's not forget the first time he checked into a game, he took off his warmup jacket off and he wasn't wearing a jersey underneath :D Had to run back to the locker room to grab his jersey
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Stallion wrote:Sterling already is a 44% 3 point shooter-which is freaking outstanding. He should have the confidence in the future as an upperclassman to find and let those 3s go more often.

Fair point but I was meaning more in quantity. I want him hitting them enough to respect his shot and have to keep a guy in his general area so that the interior guys have more space to work.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Nice to have recruited four year players that by the time they're upper classmen know the system inside and out
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:31 pm

For Ben to breakout, he has to have something more than length, effort and put-backs. Kid needs a mid range or reliable go to, over at least one shoulder. #realtalk
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm

He needs a f this game where he takes it up and flushes on someone trying to body him. He had a good game vs [deleted] competition (Lamar) last year then got timid when the Zags were banging him around
RGV Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball