PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU's Brown Faces 'Lack of Coach Control' Charge

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU's Brown Faces 'Lack of Coach Control' Charge

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Comparing Boheim, who cheated for 20 years, to Brown who has been here for 3 is absurd.

And if what I have heard that our assistant and the secretary did is true, to accuse Larry of lack of coaching control is a huge joke. This is the problem with the NCAA - there is no distinguishing between something minor that happened at a small school versus ongoing infractions at a large institution.

The reason I tend to believe what I have heard is that if there was really anything bad, we would have kicked KF out of school for violating the honor code in about 5 seconds, and we would have fired Ulrich instantly.

If what I have heard is true regarding the secretary, we should make that public as soon as humanly possible because it will show our school has a heart to the public and recruits, not that we were trying to "cheat" or provide improper benefits.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:I was surprised by the number of pro-SMU (or maybe they're just anti-NCAA) comments on that article.

Yeah...sadly...a whole lot more SMU will always be cheaters or Larry Brown is scum comments than anything else. This is getting annoyingly bad enough...someone posted a seemingly pro JJ comment. This crap has to stop.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 pm

JasonB wrote:Comparing Boheim, who cheated for 20 years, to Brown who has been here for 3 is absurd.

And if what I have heard that our assistant and the secretary did is true, to accuse Larry of lack of coaching control is a huge joke. This is the problem with the NCAA - there is no distinguishing between something minor that happened at a small school versus ongoing infractions at a large institution.

The reason I tend to believe what I have heard is that if there was really anything bad, we would have kicked KF out of school for violating the honor code in about 5 seconds, and we would have fired Ulrich instantly.

If what I have heard is true regarding the secretary, we should make that public as soon as humanly possible because it will show our school has a heart to the public and recruits, not that we were trying to "cheat" or provide improper benefits.

Obviously need more info. You aren't going to kick Keith out for honor code violations so quickly if Larry is saying he will leave if you do, and he preaches the team is family pretty strongly. Same with Ulrich. Wanted to believe keeping him on with Keith indicated this was minor, and it still could be, but I can also see Larry putting that family before anything else. Need to get the info out, and if there is something that we can use to curry public favor against this crap, we must use it.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 pm

Que, Brett Shipp....
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 am

JasonB wrote:Comparing Boheim, who cheated for 20 years, to Brown who has been here for 3 is absurd.

You do realize Larry left both UCLA and KU on probation as well too, right? I mean, this has been his MO for some time, it's not something that just started.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 am

It is what it is - or - It will be what it will be!

If Larry would be suspended for x number of games - then we could see if our coach in
waiting can coach. That would be interesting.

If Keith doesn't come back and if Larry misses a few games - this will still be a very
exciting season. Plus it cannot erase the exhilarating times we have had in Moody for
the past two years.

It may be that Keith is learning a very important lesson and he might not be able to
wear the red & blue again. Just trying to be realistic and I hope that neither happens.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:39 am

The Falcon wrote:It is what it is - or - It will be what it will be!

If Larry would be suspended for x number of games - then we could see if our coach in
waiting can coach. That would be interesting.

If Keith doesn't come back and if Larry misses a few games - this will still be a very
exciting season. Plus it cannot erase the exhilarating times we have had in Moody for
the past two years.

It may be that Keith is learning a very important lesson and he might not be able to
wear the red & blue again. Just trying to be realistic and I hope that neither happens.

We've known about everything for quite a while. Keith is still on the roster, and that speaks volumes about what we believe happened. If he had someone take tests for him, or if this was about the HS stuff, he would have been kicked out by now. So I don't believe that. I think the change in policy to give the athletic department their own tutors is going to prevent most of what I heard about from ever happening again. That and a little more understanding about what improper benefits are.

For those who want to read about what happened at Kansas: http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-02/ ... -probation

Larry is a really good, kind-hearted person. I don't know why the NCAA doesn't like him, but if you read that article, they essentially threatened KU with the death penalty over something that happened over a 10 day period, cost 1K, had something to do with a kid's grandparent being ill, and the kid didn't even stick around to play at KU.
JasonB

Postby lwjr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 am

Meanwhile, UNC's of the world are laughing
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby SMU Grid Iron Madman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:07 am

While I understand we have to wait for the facts, at this point, this math looks easy:

1,000,001 LB positive qualities > 3 unintended +/or inconsequential indiscretions re-characterized as threats to Free World

I make three mistakes before lunchtime on a daily basis. If we are going back to the 1980's and include Saturday nights, the list gets longer. Guessing those who latch onto this train live in a Quarry next to a Glass Panel plant.

Still proudly a member of the SMU Family!
SMU Grid Iron Madman
Recruit

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:17 am

We suck at cheating
smupony94

SMU's Brown Faces 'Lack of Coach Control' Charge

Postby lwjr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:26 am

I don't my think we suck at cheating per say, it's more like selective enforcement
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby gostangs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 am

well - on the bright side - you know you have been kicked asses when you see a bunch of hate come out of the woodwork. We just need a fast answer cause this has stirred it up for sure.
gostangs

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:38 am

This has been known for three years and is not a surprise
smupony94

Postby smusportspage » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 am

lwjr wrote:I don't my think we suck at cheating per say, it's more like selective enforcement

Seems to really smack of selective enforcement when you have institutions such as Syracuse and UNC cheating for 20 some odd years and not even a whisper from the NCAA. SMU gets going for one year and the NCAA is on them like grandma's girdle. I have no respect for the NCAA enforcement division.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:56 am

give him a few game suspension and move on.
Pony ^

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball