PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU's Brown Faces 'Lack of Coach Control' Charge

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU's Brown Faces 'Lack of Coach Control' Charge

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:40 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:the news is old b/c you know the charges well before presenting your case, which is well before penalty stage, which is now. We self-reported and have been making moves, at their advice, to clean this up, for a year or so. The fact that DISD wasn't mentioned and it's confined to SMU is a blessing, even though they know about the secretary. Our goal has always been to avoid penalty for institutional control. Seems that we weren't even facing that, just coach control, which is also a blessing.

Just need it to play out quickly so we can capitalize on our new street cred

So how bad is the penalty going to be, in your estimation? Are we talking bad as in Larry is going away and we are relegated to the Doh years again? A couple of games suspension? Slap on the wrist and a scolding?

I'm also assuming the street cred you talk about is/would be our ability to skip past this with little to no punishment. Thus solidifying us as players that know how to work the system with the handlers and the AAU circuit folks. Or am I way off base there?

I don't think the penalty is going to be ridiculous for a lot of reasons. Loss of Ulric and secretary, a ship or two, possibly some Larry suspension time? As long as 'Frazier' is proven to be an isolated incident, it'll be ok.

As for street cred, that's a fairly white narrative, but sure. Essentially, we'll now have a rep for treating players the right way, while they learn to play the right way.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I'm not going to say anything more than I have about her involvement but she was an SMU employee, since removed, much like Ulric. Slippery slope. As RGV said, all of this is old, cause we've long since faced the music and been cooperating. It was self-reported and everyone other than the general public has long since thought they've known the charges. Since this comes on the coach, not the institution, better yet.

No need to say more.

I wonder if Jon Schumate knew that all of his players were selling their textbooks back to the university for cash...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't think the penalty is going to be ridiculous for a lot of reasons. Loss of Ulric and secretary, a ship or two, possibly some Larry suspension time? As long as 'Frazier' is proven to be an isolated incident, it'll be ok.

As for street cred, that's a fairly white narrative, but sure. Essentially, we'll now have a rep for treating players the right way, while they learn to play the right way.

Thanks for the reply. By any chance were you around the program during the late Dement years? Sasser, Q Ross, etc.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Smulaw90 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm

It seems to me, without any factual basis whatsoever, that the NCAA knows it has very little in this case. Part of the sanction, if you will, is the "hardship" of going through this recruiting season with this hanging over Larry Brown and SMU. They know that therein lies a signficant punishment even if they don't have a whole lot to hang their hat on. So let's say they decide Brown has to miss the first two games--big deal. The real punishment is the possibility that one/two recruits passes up on SMU on the basis that (1) they hear its going to be worse; or (2) the appearance that once again, SMU (or LB) is back to their old shenanigans. Afterall, for whatever reason, I feel the NCAA still has a bone to pick with SMU even though we may very well be the last school to ever receive the Death Pen. Leave us alone already....
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. By any chance were you around the program during the late Dement years? Sasser, Q Ross, etc.

By chance, yes
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm

By chance, yes

I worked in the office. Was in school at the time. Worked several camps. Worked closely with Simon. We might have crossed paths a time or two then.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:01 pm

By chance, yes

I worked in the office. Was in school at the time. Worked several camps. Worked closely with Simon. We might have crossed paths a time or two then.

Its very likely that we have in that case. I was a lot more active back in the day
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

okcponyfan wrote:has the Gonzaga game been announced? if its later in November maybe LB should just sit out like the 1st 3 games vs like Lamar, Abiline Christian, and Ark St, or whoever

There's a free site that has this information, it's buried in a post that really counts. Suffice to say, if LB faces a suspension it should not affect the Gonzaga match.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:38 pm

ESPN has more detail on the burden of proof required and the standards for imposition of punishment on a Head Coach

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... violations
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but how much of this lies with the DISD?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Stallion wrote:ESPN has more detail on the burden of proof required and the standards for imposition of punishment on a Head Coach

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... violations

Here is the thing, though:
"Frazier was declared academically ineligible in January and did not play the remainder of the season for the Mustangs. The source said, however, that Frazier's suspension this past season was related only to his pre-enrollment issues."

We know that statement is absolutely not true. KF was declared ineligible after his grades for the Fall semester came in. That discredits a lot of what the "source" is saying...
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:50 pm

I think it has to be wrong too. Otherwise, SMU would have had to declare him ineligible upon first getting credible evidence of the allegations and apply for him to be reinstated.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:40 pm

My money is that this DMN article is a better characterization of the facts

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... e-on.html/

Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Knuckleup will be glad to know Kate contributed to that article
RGV Pony

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Kate will always be mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball