PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ojeleye and Emelogu Also in Europe

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ojeleye and Emelogu Also in Europe

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:11 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ojeleye and Emelogu Also in Europe

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Interesting that Bernardi is on the team. And speaking of snipers, I've heard that Jank's son can fill it up from deep. I saw a short video and he's got a nice stroke. I believe he's a sophomore at HP.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 am

Just wondering why we were angry about Nic playing summer ball bc of injury potential but not with these 4? Or is everyone just distracted with the KF news?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 am

Well 1.) Nic is utterly essential; without him, there's nothing; and 2.) the optics are a bit different. It's not a good look for Self to take Larry's best recruit (Vick will be a complete beast), after taking his assistant coach (Howard), and then take his All American point guard to the far side of the world to play sub-par competition. Now, regarding Vick, it was his decision to reclassify and he likely could have gone to most other blue-bloods, so it's optics, not necessarily reality. But the optics are that we look like KU's JV training grounds and it's doing nothing to help the program, so to speak.

That is an opinion.
PonyKai

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:Well 1.) Nic is utterly essential; without him, there's nothing; and 2.) the optics are a bit different. It's not a good look for Self to take Larry's best recruit (Vick will be a complete beast), after taking his assistant coach (Howard), and then take his All American point guard to the far side of the world to play sub-par competition. Now, regarding Vick, it was his decision to reclassify and he likely could have gone to most other blue-bloods, so it's optics, not necessarily reality. But the optics are that we look like KU's JV training grounds and it's doing nothing to help the program, so to speak.

That is an opinion.

Interesting point.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:04 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:That is an opinion.

What part? It's all true just as you state it. Here's a little something extra for ya, What program recommended and sent their best secretary to us? You know, the one at the heart of the NCAA investigation.

I'm tired of LB deferring to his blue blood roots. I can speak to this far better than most, as a born and raised Terp. To get what you want, you have to kick them in the effin teeth, make it a street fight and simply be tougher. It's time for LB to get off his horse, schedule his friends, move this program forward. We aren't the JV or lil brother program. Stop loaning our best to other programs, not all-star traveling teams etc.

When guys like Dean Smith die, we don't wear tribute warm-ups like we're freaking related. We're not. Tremendous coach and human being by all accounts but can we embrace our tradition instead of always deferring to others.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43 am

Well, it is several facts followed up by my opinion. I'm in agreement with you here.
PonyKai

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:49 am

Funny how people gloss over the point that it's never done, ever. We do it and everyone becomes a KU fan. IF Maryland lent Melo to KU b/c of Turgeon's KU history, there would be firebombs on Rt 1
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:27 pm

hoopmanx wrote:

What part? It's all true just as you state it. Here's a little something extra for ya, What program recommended and sent their best secretary to us? You know, the one at the heart of the NCAA investigation.

I'm tired of LB deferring to his blue blood roots. I can speak to this far better than most, as a born and raised Terp. To get what you want, you have to kick them in the effin teeth, make it a street fight and simply be tougher. It's time for LB to get off his horse, schedule his friends, move this program forward. We aren't the JV or lil brother program. Stop loaning our best to other programs, not all-star traveling teams etc.

When guys like Dean Smith die, we don't wear tribute warm-ups like we're freaking related. We're not. Tremendous coach and human being by all accounts but can we embrace our tradition instead of always deferring to others.

And we have a winner. Perfectly said
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Have to agree with Hoopmanx on this. Living and growing up in ACC land, you don't lend your best to KU, UCLA, or any other school. If any ACC coach did that (not just Turgeon), he'd be fileted, especially if one of the kids got hurt. I know that Self is part of the LB coaching tree, but....
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTime » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Seriously - stop complaining about this.

Larry did this in the interest of Nic. - not in the interest of the Kansas Basketball program and Bill Self.

If it helps Nic's profile, exposure, draft position, etc then I am all for it. My guess is that Larry thought it would - otherwise he would not have suggested or done it. Sure - it could have backfired - but it did not. So chill.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 pm

you guys are complaining like little girls. Added experience against quality competition is a positive. Nobody confuses us with Kansas or even Maryland. The Kansas spotlite raises the profile of our players and program. A lot more people have Nic Moore on their National recognition checklist. Do you really need to second guess a Hall of Fame Coach on this. Larry Brown is our profile
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Stallion wrote:Larry Brown is our profile

The money our core hoops booster put worth is the profile. That commitment keeps us winning no matter who the head man is. Larry couldn't be more temporary
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:59 am

hoopmanx wrote:

I don't mind it but I get both sides of the argument (the loaning of the players). I think it can help certain players if it's done right.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:31 am

Here's the thing, I get the double edged sword. Larry brought culture and family which are things he learned at UNC,then UCLA/Kansas. You don't get the culture we have this quickly. It's really the most incredible aspect of the Brown regime. Now that he's running through his own SMU players, he's mentoring them, putting them on the staff etc. It's an amazing amazing thing to watch, really is.

I just think it's time to say SMU can play w/any blue blood, stop acting as a feeder program. After re-reading my last post, I sounded ungrateful about LB and that couldn't be farther from the truth. He's a Godsend and greatness overall, but a lot of decisions go into making a program and we're at the point where you don't just accept things cause Larry says so. He's had tons of off the wall comments the last 8 months or so
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball