PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Since we are talking eligibility...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Since we are talking eligibility...

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Any news on Markus?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Since we are talking eligibility...

Postby smupony94 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:35 pm

No worries
smupony94

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:56 am

No news is good news.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:09 pm

So far everyone is eligible.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby friarwolf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:52 pm

He good, he real good........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:49 pm

No if only the team will be eligible for the tourny...
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Hear that he is good for the fall - but we should be hoping that his class selection for the fall is not too overwhelming as we will need him in the spring - big time.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:56 am

PonyTime wrote: but we should be hoping that his class selection for the fall is not too overwhelming as we will need him in the spring - big time.

Same thing for KF; just because he's cleared for Fall doesn't guarantee we have him all year. Hopefully we have some advisors looking out for these guys and keeping them in a workload they can handle.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am

These discussions are borderline demeaning to these kids...
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:59 pm

whitwiki wrote:These discussions are borderline demeaning to these kids...

Football team had a GPA this summer of 3.346......wonder how that compares to the basketball team?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm

I can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to demean anyone at all. Let's face it, these guys have heavy commitments to the team and have had some trouble balancing school, team and life obligations. It's part of the university's job to help them do that as best they can, and part of that falls on advisors to make sure the classes they take help their SAP and other academic standards and don't put an undue burden on them. I went to classes with guys on the bball team (back longer than I care to admit) and they struggled from time to time and it rarely had anything to do with effort or intellect; it's just a helluva lot to put on kids and some respond to it differently than others. Let's just make sure they all get what they need to reach their goals while on the Hilltop.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:

I can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to demean anyone at all. Let's face it, these guys have heavy commitments to the team and have had some trouble balancing school, team and life obligations. It's part of the university's job to help them do that as best they can, and part of that falls on advisors to make sure the classes they take help their SAP and other academic standards and don't put an undue burden on them. I went to classes with guys on the bball team (back longer than I care to admit) and they struggled from time to time and it rarely had anything to do with effort or intellect; it's just a helluva lot to put on kids and some respond to it differently than others. Let's just make sure they all get what they need to reach their goals while on the Hilltop.

Well said.
ojaipony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Not really when they have already put themselves in situations where they have not been eligible.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:54 am

RyanSMU98 wrote:

I kind of see what Whitwiki is talking about depend on the intention of the comment but I also agree with Ryan. Again just depends on the angle of the comment.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:21 am

So, having their academic advisors assist in scheduling a class load commensurate with their schedule is demeaning...but saying they will all have issues and fail if they don't have athlete specific tutors is just being kind? Guess we are looking for excuses to be offended again. This type of counseling is available for all students, but takes on a higher level of importance for busy athletes due to travel and scheduling. Lord...offensive...WTF.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball