PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports) Q&A with Larry Brown

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports) Q&A with Larry Brown

Postby PonyPride » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:17 am

On NCAA investigation, loss to UCLA, strength of AAC, etc.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ct-for-aac
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports) Q&A with Larry Brown

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:32 am

Remind me again how this isn't hurting our recruiting? I mean, Larry says it is...but I guess he isn't posting on PF so he doesn't know what these recruits are thinking. The part about us having 3 good incoming freshmen...should have been 5 but 2 decided not to come...that is very telling. With the leaks and the time, almost like the UT board and Dale Hansen are running this investigation.

This crap needs to end.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Blvd_Stang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Great interview.

Please let us receive our punishment and get passed this already. Such a buzz kill.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:33 pm

No joke. Enough already.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:00 pm

I've contended all along, to anyone who will listen, that this is part of the NCAA's punishment. Harming recruiting for 2015-2016 is an informal/indirect punishment when it doesn't have the proof it needs to make its case. Look, the NCAA has much bigger fish to fry right now with North Carolina and Mississippi State. So rather than close the books on the insignificant cases, it allows them to linger so that the overall effect is magnified.

There needs to be a rule that states that if its a Class 1 infraction the investigation beginning to end has to be no more than "x" number of days, Class 2, "y" number of days. Otherwise, they drag their feet and impact the University above and beyond the athletic program that is being investigated. If you're the Cox School of Business or Dedman Law School, all this negative inuendo does nothing to help with fundraising, admissions, etc....
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:Remind me again how this isn't hurting our recruiting? I mean, Larry says it is...but I guess he isn't posting on PF so he doesn't know what these recruits are thinking. The part about us having 3 good incoming freshmen...should have been 5 but 2 decided not to come...that is very telling. With the leaks and the time, almost like the UT board and Dale Hansen are running this investigation.

This crap needs to end.

How much interaction do you think Larry actually has w/recruits? Very little. He's handed the phone once in a blue moon. You know what hurts recruiting? Hiring a guy like Hobbie over someone who will definitively bring you players. It's not about who you miss, it's about who you sign that can't play at this level. So far, that could be Hobbs. FWIW, the sanctions hurt more last year w/locals than it is this year nationally.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:I've contended all along, to anyone who will listen, that this is part of the NCAA's punishment. Harming recruiting for 2015-2016 is an informal/indirect punishment when it doesn't have the proof it needs to make its case. Look, the NCAA has much bigger fish to fry right now with North Carolina and Mississippi State. So rather than close the books on the insignificant cases, it allows them to linger so that the overall effect is magnified.

There needs to be a rule that states that if its a Class 1 infraction the investigation beginning to end has to be no more than "x" number of days, Class 2, "y" number of days. Otherwise, they drag their feet and impact the University above and beyond the athletic program that is being investigated. If you're the Cox School of Business or Dedman Law School, all this negative inuendo does nothing to help with fundraising, admissions, etc....

Spot on. I too quickly took note to the leaks, timing, and delays and could easily see they intended for their delayed final decision to be part of the punishment. This wouldn't happen with a larger school in a larger conference.

That being said, having specific and set timelines without exceptions being delineated creates the situation where institutions will just obfuscate and delay until after the deadline. For small and mid-sized schools like us, the NCAA would hammer us for it. For the P5's of the world, they would be rewarded with minimal impact restrictions and punishments.

The problem truly is the organization and it's management...established and set-up in a form that facilitates the larger programs automatically getting much more preferential treatment. The solution....no [deleted] idea. The one-school, one-vote idea is there...but do we really want FIFA and the UN General Assembly as a model for anything?!?
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:41 pm

It's really an incredibly easy solution, stop serving two masters. The NCAA has two responsibilities; policing and accounting. Those two fly in the face of each other, so band together and create another body that handles either the money or the punishments, not both
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

My 2 cents. F$ck the ncaa. Sue their [deleted] and use penn state and Nc to point out the wide discrepancies of the punishments meted out by the ncaa. Seriously, can you see a judge agreeing with loss of scholarships, coach fired, and the head coach having to sit out games as being equal to penn state having a child rapist operating out of penn state facilities for years????? And only making Penn Stare serve one year of the original penalties applied???? We smoke that case and the ncaa in the process. Repeat, f@ck the ncaa.......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Hoop... do we have anyone in mind to replace someone if our current guys cant get the job done in the recruiting trail?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:02 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:Hoop... do we have anyone in mind to replace someone if our current guys cant get the job done in the recruiting trail?

I would sure hope so as it seems like we are really getting kicked in the 'nads in this recruiting season.
redpony

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:23 am

Good article and great interview as always with the candid LB. I like everyone else want this NCAA mess behind us so we can move forward. Recruiting for next year will determine the staying power of our program and I haven't seen us have much luck as of late.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 am

@JonRothstein: The basketball purist needs to make SMU appointment television. Ponies share the ball, defend, & make the extra pass. Sliced up Stanford.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:48 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Remind me again how this isn't hurting our recruiting? I mean, Larry says it is...but I guess he isn't posting on PF so he doesn't know what these recruits are thinking. The part about us having 3 good incoming freshmen...should have been 5 but 2 decided not to come...that is very telling. With the leaks and the time, almost like the UT board and Dale Hansen are running this investigation.

This crap needs to end.

How much interaction do you think Larry actually has w/recruits? Very little. He's handed the phone once in a blue moon. You know what hurts recruiting? Hiring a guy like Hobbie over someone who will definitively bring you players. It's not about who you miss, it's about who you sign that can't play at this level. So far, that could be Hobbs. FWIW, the sanctions hurt more last year w/locals than it is this year nationally.

One thing about Hoopmanx is that he speaks his mind.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Return to Basketball