PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tourney Dreams guarantee a letdown

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tourney Dreams guarantee a letdown

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:46 pm

People,

Let me help you locate the bottom line on this SMU-NCAA tourney issue.

SMU hoops makes a living of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I find it utterly offensive that some of you feel the mustangs have a legitimate shot at making the NCAA tourney by way of the WAC tourney.

Granted, I have not been following Pony hoops this year as much as I have in year's past. However, I know hoops, and I'm relatively familiar with our squad.

The fate of this squad shall be no different than that visited upon those legendary lineups that have taken the floor of Moody Coliseum in recent years. If giants of Texas Hoops like Jay Poerner, Steven Woods, Jeryl Sasser and Bobby Dimson cannot effectuate a WAC tourney championship, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that Quentin Ross and the gang can come close to an NCAA tourney berth.

Sure, there may be some renewed hype now that Fresno State has bowed out of the WAC tourney. But this is certainly no cause for genuine excitement. Witness our February 19th debacle at the hands of our constant nemesis - Tulsa.

There comes a time when Mustang fans must admit and take full responsibility for the team's utter inability to win a big game.

Admittedly, Mike Dement is a respectable college coach. And I have unlimited respect for the kind of program he runs.

However, there comes a time when you have to acknowledge that winning in College Hoops requires some Harrick-like maneuvering.

There are certainly pros and cons associated with adopting a Harrick/Fresno State-like system of deception and subsequent admission. But perhaps it's time the SMU campus started debating this very topic, as our current squeaky clean methodology is clearly not producing the desired result of an NCAA tourney berth.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating that the Ponies undertake any of these tactics. But, you have to recognize the current landscape of college hoops in which we compete.

The alternative is that we continue to exist under the malaise of disappointment the program has provided its fans in recent years.

Having said all of that, Mike Dement must remain the head coach at all costs. The guy is simply a legend in the making and posseses an amazing ability to mold young players into men.

I'm out

Re: Tourney Dreams guarantee a letdown

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:17 pm

Uh, yeah, and stay out. Jeez..."offended" by showing some enthusiasm around tournament time? What a helmet.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby GallopingGuy » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:22 pm

Inability to win a big game?

You really HAVEN'T been watching them this year, have you. Let's see...

* Victory over Tulsa IN Tulsa IN overtime

* Victory over TCU at home for the first time in a LONG time

Two big games, right there. And those are only the biggest games. We've also beaten Hawaii, at home.

These guys have shown more life and potential than we've seen in a while--and our starting five have FOUR people that will be back for the next two years.

I'm excited.

--GG

[This message has been edited by GallopingGuy (edited 03-05-2003).]
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:49 pm

I'd rather be excited and think we actually have a chance to make the NCAA Tourney...and then be let down rather than know we are in the same position as UTEP...with virtually NO HOPE for anything other than maybe a 1st round win? Think about the alternative to "fearing" being let down.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:01 pm

Tulsa was a fairly big win. TCU was not. Look at their whole season, its a disaster. The Frogs are locked into the C-USA cellar, and they've already been eliminated from even appearing in their conferences tournament.
Hawaii is a hapless road team.

Mr. Corey is an amusing individual. In the same post he outlines how SMU has never won a big game, but then says Coach Dement must be retained at all costs because he's a "legend in the making"? I would ask him to explain that seeming contradiction, but I think I'd prefer just to not hear anymore of this.
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PX:
<B>
Tulsa was a fairly big win. TCU was not. Look at their whole season, its a disaster. The Frogs are locked into the C-USA cellar, and they've already been eliminated from even appearing in their conferences tournament.
Hawaii is a hapless road team.

Mr. Corey is an amusing individual. In the same post he outlines how SMU has never won a big game, but then says Coach Dement must be retained at all costs because he's a "legend in the making"? I would ask him to explain that seeming contradiction, but I think I'd prefer just to not hear anymore of this.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on - this post is crazy and basically makes no point at all. Saying Dement must be kept at all costs is completely ridiculous...."a legend in the making"??? what a joke.

The only real 'big game' to me was the TU win at TU.(and they aren't even that great this year)

To me beating La Tech and making it past the 1st round is a huge step based on past years. I don't feel like we have enough consistent firepower to win the tourney.
Pony_Fan

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:01 pm

jonathancorey500: call now and get that prescription renewed.
Bergermeister

Return to Basketball