PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wednesday night in the WAC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wednesday night in the WAC

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:46 am

Fresno 59
Tulsa 62

Nevada 86
Rice 68

Neither a surprise to me.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Wednesday night in the WAC

Postby The CPC » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
<B>Fresno 59
Tulsa 62

Nevada 86
Rice 68

Neither a surprise to me. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, neither were surprises, but it clears up the picture some. Nevada and Tulsa play each other on Saturday, and the winner will be the #1 seed and the loser will be #2, because both hold a tie breaker edge over SMU. Mustangs are pretty much locked into 3rd, barring a loss to Tech, because they have a tie breaker edge over Rice. Most likely SMU will play Hawaii or Boise in the first round of the tourney.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Stampede » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:15 pm

CPC,

While you are one of the most knowledge folks on the board, I think you are off on this one. Let me explain:

If SMU (beats LT), Tulsa (beats Nevada) and Rice (beats Fresno) on Saturday, Tulsa would be the No. 1 seed with a 12-6 league mark. SMU, Nevada and Rice would all finish 11-7 in the league. SMU would gain the No. 2 seed by way of its 3-1 record against the other two, Nevada would be No. 3 with a 2-2 mark and Rice would be No. 4 based on its 1-3 record.

That is the only way SMU can get the No. 2 seed as I see it.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:53 pm

The only thing that matters seeding wise at this point is avoiding a second round matchup against Tulsa. I think Nevada will most likely beat Tulsa at Reno. If that happens, a win over La tech will earn the Mustangs a spot in the same bracket as Tulsa. Talk about conflicted.
Hoop Fan

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:29 pm

SMU needs to beat LT and hope that Tulsa beats Nevada.

The tough thing about the draw is that the number 2 seed will play Boise, and the number three will play Hawaii. I would MUCH rather play Boise than Hawaii in the first round, and would much rather play Nevada than Tulsa in the second.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:39 pm

What's the deal with these Wednesday Nite games lately in the WAC? SMU played Tulsa on Wednesday Nite too? Traditionally the WAC plays on Thursday which is "the start of the weekend" for most students. I sure prefer Wednesday Nite games to Thursday Nite games and I'm sure the students do too.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:51 pm

Boise St. plays Hawaii tonight - if they win - don't they get the 6 seed (and play us assuming we win on Sat?)

Go Broncos! I want no part of Hawaii.

Go TU! We want Nevada in our bracket!

We are likely to be in the bracket with Nevada, Boise, and Hawaii if we win.

If we lose, we will likely be in with TU and La Tech (this assumes that TU takes care of business)

I think that it is already assured that Rice will NOT be in our side of the bracket.

If we lose to La Tech - we will likely play La Tech in the first round of the tourney.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The CPC » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:19 pm

Stampede is correct, in a 3 way tie that included Rice, Nevada and SMU, SMU would have the tiebreaker edge becuase of their season sweep of Rice. CPC has been assuming that Fresno would beat Rice, but that cant be counted on anymore.
If CPC were a gambling bird, though, he would put money on Nevada to win at home against Tulsa.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball