PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

James Fraschilla on Shake

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: James Fraschilla on Shake

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:39 am

Stallion wrote:Look Keith was a fundamentally undisciplined player coming out of high school-yes you need to break a kid playing sandlot basketball. He came out of high school with 2 assets athleticism and shooting. Couldn't dribble, couldn't drive or create, didn't play defense. After 1 year with Larry I thought he made improvements in each area

You can't compare Keith with Shake. Just like you can't compare Keith with Sterling Brown. Shake has better fundamental skills than Keith coming out of HS.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:41 am

smusic 00 wrote:Larry has to 'break' all his players. That's his method and why he can be frustrating a lot of times. To 'us' it looks like he gets in his own way a lot.

I don't believe he broke Nic Moore. Nic game was the same at ISU as it is at SMU. Let's just hope he does not over coach Shake.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 am

Wonder if james Fraschilla getting into coaching?
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:22 pm

he certainly redirected Nic Moore's "enthusiasm" last year. We absolutely could not afford for Nic to get in foul trouble last year like he did the year before. Rousing success. Discipline
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Stallion wrote:he certainly redirected Nic Moore's "enthusiasm" last year. We absolutely could not afford for Nic to get in foul trouble last year like he did the year before. Rousing success. Discipline

That was more decreasing the fouls not breaking him like you would do a wild horse. Sterling brown has always had the same type of game.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm

You are just talking semantics now
Good Coaches break down undisciplined players' game
Does this surprise you?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Stallion wrote:You are just talking semantics now
Good Coaches break down undisciplined players' game
Does this surprise you?

I think the Nic lowering his foul total was just him playing smarter. I don't think anyone really knows if Milton is undisciplined or not at this point. Going to fun to watch them play this year. Anyone heard how Foster and Barefield are doing?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am

I hope no one is suggesting that Nic hasn't been significantly shaped by LB. There's been conflict, good conflict, from the day they met.
ponyboy

Postby No Quarter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:35 am

A while back I seem to remember reading quotes from Nic about how LB had helped his game. Or am I confusing him with another player?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:11 pm

No Quarter wrote:A while back I seem to remember reading quotes from Nic about how LB had helped his game. Or am I confusing him with another player?

Helping and guiding him are not the same as breaking him. Sometimes if you break a player they can lose confidence. Coach K did try to break the 3 freshmen he had last year that helped him win a national championship, he just coached them to their strengths. I think LB will do the same with Shake.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:49 pm

I hear Keith >> Shake at this point. Great talent but inconsistent, lot to learn. Not wildly different than KF's first year.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm

tristatecoog wrote:I hear Keith >> Shake at this point. Great talent but inconsistent, lot to learn. Not wildly different than KF's first year.

I am hearing different. Shake's ball handling skills are better than kF's were as a freshman.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 am

Tweets are always too short. I think the word "break" is short of "break him of bad habits" which all great coaches do with young players. You don't want a guy shooting 3's every time he touches the ball. Remember, Larry is an inside out guy. He likes to see points in the paint (which is old school), but still better percentage wise. So, he wants to make sure players know how to pass, create and then shoot if open, or pass if someone else is closer and open.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:50 am

EastStang wrote:Tweets are always too short. Remember, Larry is an inside out guy. He likes to see points in the paint (which is old school), but still better percentage wise. So, he wants to make sure players know how to pass, create and then shoot if open, or pass if someone else is closer and open.

…and that would be Sterling.

If we had a guy like that on either side with kick outs coming from Markus and Tolbert? Wait a minute…WE HAVE THAT!!!!!

Holy mole.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm

ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball