PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another one that got away

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Another one that got away

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:08 am

I'm watching the ASU/Oregon game on FSN and its hard not to think what it be like if we could have kept Garland's Ike Diogu around. He is everything SMU has been missing in a big man. As a freshman he is already one of the best players in the Pac 10. The announcers said he's a great kid and comes from a good family, father's a doctor and mother's a teacher. Not sure why he went to arizona st??? Its just unbelievable what these Dallas area freshman are doing in college basketball this year.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Another one that got away

Postby PG » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:12 am

I keep thinking the same thing every time I see him play. Seems like he kid of slid under everyone's radar. He didn't get any attention from the local media the way the "Big 6" did so maybe that motivated him to go out and show everyone what he can do. It is remarkable that the Dallas area is going to likely produce the Big 10, ACC, Pac 10 and WAC Freshmen/Newcomers of the Year in the same season/
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:05 am

he didn't slide under the radar-he was a legitimate Top 50-75 in the nation. Its sad because there was national championship potential for any Texas team that could have signed 3 among Hopkins, Derron Williams. Diougu, Bracey Wright, Daniel Horton, Brad Buckman and a couple of more of the outstanding class of mostly Metroplex Texans from the class of 2002. The Metroplex class of 2002 was probably better than any metropolitan area in the US in 2002. Texas despite what some on this board think is now a hotbed of High School Basketball players.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mulletmike » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:17 am

Stallion, hotbed implies some duration. Nobody considers the Metroplex or Texas a major hotbed in hoops. Sorry, its just fact.

The Metroplex class of 2002 was phenomenal. Everybody has known that since '98. Still, its one year, my friend.

You seem to forget HOW FREAKING BIG the state of Texas is. For its size, they don't really put out the high end numbers. Chicago/DC/Baltimore/LA all put out as many players as the state of Texas most years.

Texas has improved light years in ballers. They'll keep coming. Certainly, no hating going on. To say they've arrived after one over the top class is premature.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:14 pm

you're an idiot-Texas is not a hotbed in BB recruiting? For the year after the 2002 class which you admit was one of,if not the best class in the country, Rivals-with no correspondent residing in Texas to overate Texas' class-has the number of 3+ star recruits as follows: 1) New York 40, 2)(tie) Texas 39, 2) California 39, 3)Illinois 25, 4) New Jersey 21, 5) Mich 14, 6) Florida 13, Penn 10. Note I just checked selected states with reputation as having good basketball or a large population. But for you to suggest that Texas doesn't have the 'ballers these other states have is simply wrong and its been that way for awhile. Maybe you've been checking the jockstraps of your "ballers" from up east too long.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 03-07-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NCPony » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:22 pm

Let's not confuse "Texas" for "Metroplex" or vice-versa.
NCPony

Postby Eddie P » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:23 pm

The stars at night
are big and bright...

Postby PX » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:07 pm

Stallion is correct about one thing, Ike Diogu didnt fly under anyones radar, at least not anyone who is legitimately involved in recruiting. The DMN didnt give him much publicity, but every college coach in the country knew who he was, before his junior year in high school. To a player of that caliber, his high school performance, stats and publicity dont mean anything compared to how he performs in the summer leagues against other national competition. Big schools know who they are going to pursue before September. Target lists are mostly made up in July and August. There are a few exceptions of guys who bloomed their senior year and wound up at good programs, such as Charlie Davis at Tulsa, but for the most part the best players are scouted and recruited and signed before their senior season begins. How they play their senior year is usually just window dressing.

The 2002 class in Texas and the Dallas metroplex were probably the best in the country, and easily the best this area has seen. It goes in cycles, though, Dallas wont produce a class like that every year. The Houston area was much stronger this year than Dallas, and several states had better prospects than Texas. Next year should be another good one in this area.

I'll give you an example of a guy who really was under the radar, and I think Mullet will appreciate this one. Ryan Randle averaged about 10 points a game his senior year at Duncanville. He was a good looking player, but badly overshadowed by Brian Boddicker and Chris Owens while he was there. To my recollection he wasnt recruited by anyone, I know that SMU had zero interest in him, and he wound up signing with a junior college.
Now he's a starter for a top-15 program, the defending national champions. He's Marylands leading rebounder and shot blocker, and second in scoring. He averages more points now than he did in high school or junior college.

In reference to a previous discussion, Duncanville crushed Kimball in the state title game that year. It wasnt a last second buzzer beater, D'ville won by 20.
PX
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:32 pm

Mulletmike, your facts are simply wrong. Let me throw some names at you: Keith Langford of Kansas (2001), Emeka Okafor of Uconn (2001), Daniel Ewing of Duke (2001), and TJ Ford of Texas (2001). All of whom are top 10 sophomores in the country.
And in this year’s class Texas has 2 of the top 5 players, Kendrick Perkins and Ndudi Ebi, along with 2 other top 20 players, Vakeaton Wafer and Taurean Minor.
Of course, last years class was loaded with 6 of the 20 best freshmen in the country with Wright, Diogu, Horton, Williams, Bosh, Hopkins.
So, over the past three years Texas has produced arguably 14 of the country’s top 60 basketball players. That sounds like a trend rather than an aberration to me. And if you think I’m wrong go to good 4A or 5A game next year in the Dallas area and see how many big-time scouts are there. That’s the ultimate proof.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:33 pm

Gee- Stallion's list looks a lot like which states have the most people. Hmmm. Could it be that the states with the most boys has the best basketball? What a revelation!! If you want to see who really plays basketball, you would have to go to a comparison by population. I think you might see some small states which stand out then.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PX » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:40 pm

Should mention a couple of things here. Its unlikely that Kendrick Perkins will ever see the inside of a college class room. He committed to Memphis, but everything indicates he's going to declare for the NBA draft in a few weeks. Vakeaton Wafer was recruited by alot of schools, but it was based on what he did before he moved to Texas. He's only been here for about 8 months.
Ndubi Ebi and Warren Carter are probably the best players leaving Texas this year. This was a pretty good year for post players in Texas, but softer in the guards. Michael Umeh and Acie Law might turn out to be better than than Taq Minor and Dez Willingham, 2 guys who got more media hye.
PX
Varsity

Postby mulletmike » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:09 pm

Its funny how you "Don't Mess w/Texas" people jump at any perceived slight of your beloved state.
I've got no axe to grind w/the state and think it has become a reputable recruiting haven for national programs. I've stated it twice now.

However, that doesn't mean its considered a hotbed for recruitng year in and year out. Thats not the national perception or the prevailing attitude in AAU /HS circles.

Never said Texas recruiting was an aberration, Just not as seasoned as other stomping grounds. Its coming around thanks to years like last years and to a lesser extent 2001. However, thats two years. To say Texas has always been a hoops fertile recruiting mecca just isn't accurate.

Its great for local HS hoops and the universities in texas b/c they have more quality ballers to choose from. Soon, Houston may be an elite town year in and year out. DFW is a long way away. Right now, the state of Texas equals some of the best basketball towns.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Return to Basketball