PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

jc500's legitimacy cannot be challenged

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

jc500's legitimacy cannot be challenged

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:15 pm

Gents,

I appreciate the criticism of the former threads authored by me about the Pony's NCAA tourney hopes. My points are extremely powerful, and some react negatively to them at first glance. However, my credentials and knowledge of the SMU hoops program are impeccable.

First, abezontar is justified in questioning my credentials. BUT HE IS WRONG IN HIS ASSUMPTIONS.

I possess legitmate credentials which justify my Pony Hoops bragadoccio. For instance, in 97-98 I covered the Men's Hoops program for the Daily Campus, where I served as Associate Sports Editor. (I'm sure the DC is online. Check it out.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming the legitimacy of what is essentially a jack rag publication. However, in the process of covering the team (which entails attending practices, interviewing Dement and other assistant coaches regularly, talking to other coaches around the league, etc.), you get a real sense of a coach's abilities both in motivation and pure hoops knowledge.

Let me tell you, Mike Dement is a dedicated professional who deserves the respect of the fans. His practice-time intensity is the stuff that legends are made of. And his game time coaching decisions are consistently excellent.

NCPony makes a good point - merely coaching under Coach K doesn't mean Dement is a good coach. But that fact, combined with the inherent sense of discipline and attention to detail in Dement's coaching style prove his abilities.

Further, I would like to think I have a knack for telling when someone is expressing a sincere opinion. In that light, there were many in the WAC coaching fraternity that praised the ability of Mike Dement. In particular, Bill Self (then the Tulsa HC, now the HC at Illinois) had the highest of praises for Dement and the competitiveness of the Pony program despite its apathetic environment and lackluster talent. (And those comments were made when Jeryl Sasser was a Pony.)

The bottom line is that SMU is fortunate to have a coach of Dement's caliber. Certainly, Dement has had a good deal of time, and the program might ought to be in a better position by now. But there are factors beyond Dement's control that have inhibited progress.

For one, the WAC is now a garbage conference. With the creation of the Mountain West, and the departure of UNLV and Utah from the WAC, recruiting became that much more difficult.

In addition, the Athletic Department is not committed to doing the things necessary to turn a program around. In order to attract quality non-conference opponents, schools like SMU usually have to fork over gate receipts or pay a hefty fee just to play a top-caliber team. The SMU athletic department has not been willing to do this.

Dement, through his coaching contacts and the contacts of old SWC pros in the AD, has been able to secure some good in-state non-conference games. But outside the Wake Forest game, good non-conference opponents are not going to come play or even host SMU because of the AD's stinginess.

Also, I don't like to get upset with people. As much as I've thrown a lot of smack around this board in the last few days, I'm really not a negative person. But this constant, unsubstantiated abuse from Pony_Fan has become almost unbearable in its total lack of truth and its general pathetic nature.

PF, please prove yourself by stepping up to the plate with something more than a two sentence "zinger" or the common, hackneyed complaints of a disgruntled fan who knows absolutely NOTHING about the how the game really operates.

PF, your legitimacy is on the line. Show some guts.

Step up.

Also, Joey bag of donuts is my brother. My posting regarding the legend of Mark Buynoski was an inside joke. (See the Return to Glory thread). I apologize for subjecting the SMU Hoops community to that tyrade. But that comedic twist in no way effects the legitimacy of my comments regarding SMU hoops.

Finally, CPC is correct in his assessment of my spelling abilities. However, I do not proofread my comments simply because my time is too valuable. I simply make them and trust that the reader understands my point. I apologize in advance for any spelling errors to be committed.

Having said that, CPC is a huge tool. I actually acknowledged my spelling error for Purdue's head coach and CPC still felt the need to point it out.

We can only imagine CPC sitting at his cubicle, maticulously proofreading his postings for fear that he makes a casual spelling error.

CPC, in my mind, is approaching a level of patheticness formerly obtained only by Pony_Fan.

I'm out

Re: jc500's legitimacy cannot be challenged

Postby Eddie P » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:05 pm

Corey-

What are you doing way out in Oregon? Are you in grad school there? Just curious. You should see the new facilities at Umphrey Lee. I think you would be impressed, considering where you guys had to broadcast back during your time here.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:38 pm

Eddie P, I need a refresher. What's your last name?

I'm in law school now. I thought that might have been obvious given the level of obnoxiousness in my emails.

Hit me back with the name.

I'm out.

Postby GallopingGuy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:57 pm

Just a note that, given the quality of the Daily Campus in general, it doesn't mean much of anything to say you used to do anything for them. Image
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby GallopingGuy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:01 pm

One more thing.

<I>"My points are extremely powerful, and some react negatively to them at first glance. However, my credentials and knowledge of the SMU hoops program are impeccable."</I>

<I>"I possess legitmate credentials which justify my Pony Hoops bragadoccio."</I>

Who talks like that? You sound like Johnny Cochrane or Don King or Mike Tyson or Jesse Jackson or something. Image

--GG
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:26 pm

My proper name is Ed Pachecano.
As you can see by my handle, I take great pains to avoid revealing my identity.

We weren't particularly close or anything, I just remember you from the sports section of the DC and on the Mustang TV thing. And I was curious what was in Oregon.

Yes, you did sound a bit lawyerish but I know so many lawyers (keep four on retainer) that I'm kinda used to that type of writing.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:46 pm

GallopingGuy,

First, I understand the criticism of my language. I realize it's a little obnoxious, but I'm just trying to spice things up a bit.

In order to understand my high level of humor, you have to imagine that I'm mocking the oratory style of Johnny Cochran et al. I don't really communicate with people this way in my everyday life.

Get off my back GG.

Second, your criticism of the DC was already addressed in my previous posting. ie - I admitted the paper was a "jack rag publication." I went on to stress the actual efforts I had to employ in order to satisfy the duties of the job. These efforts and their incumbant knowledge legitimize my authority on the topic.

In light of your inability to give my postings the careful study and attention they command, you are hereby demoted to the pathetic status of Pony_Fan and CPC.

Don't ever cross me again.

I'm out

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 03-07-2003).]

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:00 pm

Eddie P,

I remember you. I like how you refer to yourself as a "philanthropist" in your bio. Which bar of yours is the outpost for your philanthropic efforts?

That kind of blatant dishonesty is the main reason I have so much RESPECT for you.

However, the Pony Hoops crowd should take note of your questionable behavior in the twilight of my days on the Hilltop.

Eddie P was the most consistent non-college-age attendee of frat parties. There was consensus that Eddie P's regular attendance was a good thing for the party, but there were whispers of a pathetic desire to cling to youth. I'm still trying to figure out whether I respect that or not.

In light of your good-hearted nature and your willingness (perhaps need) to drink heavily, I think I can finally say I respect it.

I'm kidding. Sort of. You were always a class act Eddie P. Good to hear from ya.

I'm out

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:49 pm

From our man JC500: " .... and the program might ought to be in a better position by now ...."

Didn't you say you were something of an editor at the DC? And you came up with "might ought"?

I'm not making fun of you. But if you're going to tout your former DC editorship (if you can use "might ought," I can make up words) as a reason to take you seriously, you might want to avoid phrases that would get you tossed out of Rhetoric 1.

I'm not taking you seriously until you toss out "a whole 'nuther." Nothing says expertise like splitting a word around another.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:26 am

Horseshoe,

You are exactly what is wrong with the educational system in America. Your criticism of my use of the phrase "might ought" can only be compared to Dan Quayle's classic potato(e) correction.

Your bio says you're a teacher in Irving? There can be no doubt that you are warping the impressionable minds of the Irving young.

"Might ought," while not the most artful phrase, is a perfectly acceptable phrase in the english language. The word "might" implies the concept of probability and/or chance. The word "ought" implies the concept of expectancy. My use of the phrase incorporated both of these concepts to convey what is obviously an idea that is too complex for your withered mind. I was acknowledging an expected counter-argument before crushing its uselessness in the vice grip that is my theoretical mind.

It's clear you did not give my posting the careful attention and study that it commands.

I am left wondering about the state of America's youth, as they are obviously in the hands of a desperate pseudo-intellectual clinging to nothing more than his maintenance of authority - not even cautious of the truth.

Also, I never touted my DC editorship. I simply used that FACT as a vehicle to explain the source of my expansive Pony Hoops knowledge. Please refer to my other postings for a primer on explanations I've already provided to those with similar inferior minds.

Horseshoe, you have proven yourself totally unworthy of any message board on which I post. You obviously have no Hoops knowledge to share.

Let me close with an analogy. This message board, by my mere presence, has been taken to another level of discussion. It's like you were at the courts in Dedman Rec Center, playing some pickup hoop. Then, some real players showed up and ran your pathetic squad off the court. At which point, you are relegated to the far court - where the DGs are looking for a tenth as they practice for their huge upcoming game with the Kappas.

Go over and box out Tiffany. Get off my court.

I'm out

Postby PK » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jonathancorey500:
<B>Horseshoe,

Your bio says you're a teacher in Irving? There can be no doubt that you are warping the impressionable minds of the Irving young.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you should spend more of your valuable time studying towards your law degree...you seem to still have a ways to go.

Maybe a jury would buy your leap of faith here, but just because someone lives in a certain community and is a teacher does not necessarily mean that the person actually teaches in that community. That is particularly true in a large urban area such as the DFW area in which there are many suburbs and many school districts and where you live does not always have a direct bearing on where you work.

That's twice now that you have not paid good attention in your research. This behavior could lead to your losing an important case in the future. Now back to your school work.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:01 pm

PK,

I like the enthusiansm and the effort, but I know you're capable of actual hoops-related chatter.

Come on now, you're better than that.

Also, the fact that I possibly mistaked Horseshoe's teaching residency as being in Irving is not in any way material to the actual point - that Horseshoe is a pathetic individual.

In addition, your creation of a potential slip-up is not even wholly correct. I clearly indicated that Horseshoe was having a deleterious effect on the children of America. Therefore, the Irving comment should be taken with a grain of salt.

Finally, PK, let's agree to let this slide. I am confident that my SMU Hoops legitimacy is firmly established on this message board. And I am confident that there are no holes in my hoops logic.

I ask you, and all others on this message board, to pay close attention to my next posting - which will outline the future of SMU Hoops.

My next posting will instruct the true Pony Hoops fans on how we, as a group, can lift this program out from the middle of the WAC pack.

I know that sounds like a difficult task, but my superior analytical skills and my creative knack for problem solving, combined with the ability and financial resources of the true Pony Hoops fans, I am 100% confident that we can get this done.

Pay careful attention - the future of the Pony Hoops program is riding on it.

I'm out

Postby GallopingGuy » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:36 am

And he's modest, too. Not egotistical at all. Image

--GG
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:01 pm

JC-

1) I own office buildings now, not bars.

2) I AM a philanthropist...it's the only thing I truly enjoy in this short life of mine.

3) I'm only 25 right now, so you can't really say I was a "non-college age" person at various parties. If I'm old, you're very close to my same grim fate, since you can't be more than 1-2 years younger than me.
I do look older, but I'm really not...

4) And for the sake of sanity, I must say that of the parties I attended, I can assure you that my personal ratio of party attendance vs. invite/polite declination slanted heavily towards the latter.

5) I don't drink anymore.

6) My profile was a bit outdated (like me) so I've updated it now. Thanks for the heads-up.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 03-09-2003).]

Postby jc500 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:15 am

Eddie P,

I actually thought about pulling my post when I read it over. It was funny when I wrote it, but I thought it might have come off as rude after reading it.

If you're 25, I'm actually older than you. So I guess I have to take back the non-college-age jab. Sorry dude.

Anyway, good to hear from ya.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Next

Return to Basketball