PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

jc500's legitimacy cannot be challenged

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: jc500's legitimacy cannot be challenged

Postby the informant » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:38 am

I will challenge your legitimacy right now.

1) By being a sports editor for the daily campus does not give you insight into the SMU basketball program. All it provides you with is mere exposure to a small amount of the program. You are not there to see what really goes on in the locker room. <B>You have no knowledge of player-to-player, player to coach, coach to coach, or coach to administrative relationships. And if you did have this knowledge you would not be saying what you are saying.</B> You can by no means say you know the motivation and dedication of the SMU Basketball program or its representatives. Do you think coaches are going to say or act like they are not committed to the team? Do you think rival coaches will just badmouth their colleagues? Do you think most coaches are not dedicated to their teams? What you saw at your stint at the DC was public relations, or a coach/player to media relationship. Members of media have no right to judge programs or individuals other that what they produce on the court or in the public’s eye. So don’t act like you know what really goes on because you have little to know credibility in that field.

2) Eddie P does still drink

Mr. Corey, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what you said about SMU making the tourney, because I have not read your opinions on the matter. I simply came across this post and found a major illegitimacy in your thoughts. One thing I agree with you on: I cannot stand it when people dwell on spelling errors--it is a form of changing the subject.

By imitating J. Cochran, you are what is wrong with America, Cochran is the type of lawyer that gives lawyers a bad name. I just hope you don't become the type of lawyer that continues to ruin the greatness of America through courtroom abuse.

One last note, you build credibility though; your spelling does reflect that of a DC writer/editor.

I look forward to seeing your attempt in defending yourself. So go ahead and un-unregister. I know you will for two reasons: your ego, and you want to be a paid arguer (lawyer).

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby Eddie P » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:48 am

The Informant-

You're right...wait until I get to Tulsa.

JC-

I wasn't offended. My tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I wrote my response to yours.

Postby jc500 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:07 pm

Before I begin, allow me to thank "the informant" for actually supplying what at least appears to be a well-reasoned response. In supplying half-truths to support a response guided by personal animosity, informant at least approaches rationality. His effort is far more laudable than those of anyone else thus far.

informant,

I've got to disagree with your summation of my experience. I think a look back at my initial posting would be helpful for you.

While my obnoxious writing style doesn't help people locate the actual points I'm making, if you look back, you'll see that my experience covering the program is not effected by your comments.

When you look back, make sure you realize that my criticisms of the program were largely INSTITUTIONALLY-BASED - ie, they're not necessarily Dement's fault. (When large-scale forces are working against your success, there's only so much that good coaching can accomplish.) And it is indeed these institutional flaws that plague the on-court coaching performance of Mike Dement.

You state that I had limited experience with the Hoops program - essentially relying on the idea that coaches would lie to me and that I was not privy to locker room knowledge. Both of these contentions were already addressed in my initial posting.

First, in the initial posting, I listed the duties which are required in covering the Hoops team - ie, attending practices, interviewing coaches and players, talking to fellow coaches, etc. It is in the watching of a practice that you see the true teaching abilities of a coach. As I stated earlier, Mike Dement is a passionate coach. His practice time intensity is beyond belief.

The man had absolute control over his team - his authority was not questioned in any practice I observed.

And there is no way that Dement was hamming it up for me. When I viewed practices at court level, behavior was consistent with those times when I just sat in the stands.

If you don't believe me, go watch a practice one day. They're open to the public. All you have to do is walk into Moody at the right time. You could probably call the SID for practice times.

Viewing a practice can also give you insight into team dynamics. While you were correct in saying that I was not privy to the locker-room relationships of the team, I think you underestimate what one can learn by seeing the team practicing as a unit. If you've ever played on a team, you know there is a definite social hierarchy within any team, and any careful observer can divine this hierarchy.

I think it's obvious that you have no idea what can be learned from covering a team. As stated earlier, your criticisms are driven entirely by a personal animosity whose aims cannot be achieved. I realize it's frustrating to know that my Hoops knowledge absolutely dominates yours, but as I stated earlier, the quicker you realize that I am the master and you are the student, the better off you will be.

Second, I prefaced my reliance on the comments of fellow WAC coaches with the idea that I have an ability to tell when someone is expressing a sincere opinion. There were plenty of times when I could tell coaches were lying. (for instance, whenever I asked whether they thought SMU could become a strong national program, I was always given a pat response.)

However, belief in Dement's ability was consensus. (Tarkanian was the only coach who knew nothing about Dement. I'm convinced that Tarkanian knows hoops, and he knows talent, but I don't think he gives a shiznit about knowing the lay of the college hoops land. I think he's more focused on what he can control. Maybe that's what makes him successful, but I think his success is based on his ability to find/pay good talent.)

The fact is, coaches know about other coaches. They compete for jobs in the "win now or you're out" atmosphere of college hoops. They know who's stock is on the rise and who's is falling and why both are happening.

In addition, the networks of college coaches inevitably intertwine. Everyone has coached or played with someone who has coached or played with someone else. THere is a fairly reliable network of knowlede that supports these opinions.

Third, I disagree with your philosophy that a coach should only be judged by his wins and losses. (I'm assuming that's your philosophy because you said that's the only way the media should judge a coach.) While on-court performance is the most important measure of success, limiting your analysis of a coach's abilities to that statistic can cause serious damage to the program.

Given that Mike Dement is an AMAZING coach, firing him in no way cures the institutional problems that inhibit the program's success. In fact, firing Dement (who is known in coaching circles as an excellent coach) will likely make it harder to attract a worthy replacement because the really good coaches will not want to walk into a situation doomed to preclude their success. That leaves the program two options - hire a less-than-qualified coach, or pay a good coach a lot of money. We all can agree that a coach worse than Dement is not an option. And if we pay a good coach a lot of money to come to the Hilltop, that will deplete much-needed cash from the program's coffers. Either way, firing Dement accomplishes nothing.

Fourth, I agree that courtroom abuse does plague this country, and I have no plans to undertake such behavior when I practice. However, I have absolutely no problem with message board abuse. I like to raise the stakes on hoops discussion, and this board obviously needs the rhetorical stakes to be raised.

(I must admit, I'm impressed with the Pony Hoops fandom's knowledge about this year's squad and its chances in the WAC tourney, as those chances are baased on well-reasoned summations of the year's performances. However, I respectfully disagree with any opinions that predict an NCAA tourney berth.)

Informant, your effort was much better than that of others before you, but you need to make sure you are addressing the actual points that were made rather than trying to attack something you know nothing about. Your point is summarized by the following quotation: "the media knows nothing." While I don't disagree with you that the media (assuming you can address thousands of different entities with as many different cultures as one) doesn't truly convey reality. But I do not agree that members of the media are somehow incapable of understanding what is happening.

Finally, I would like to remind all Pony fans on this board that I am currently penning what will go down in the history of SMU athletics as the document that brought glory back to the Men's Basketball program. Currently, "The Report" exceeds ten type-written pages, but there is much more work to be done. Research regarding NCAA rules must be done, and more information about current Pony Hoops booster club efforts is needed.

As I am an extremely busy individual, and my time is incredibly valuable, I do not anticipate finishing The Report until after the NCAA tourney - probably in early April. (My school-wide NCAA pool will take up a considerable amount of my already precious time.) I ask that all true Pony Hoops fans stay vigilant to the Basketball board for the release of The Report.

It is your duty as a fan to assist the program. Careful study of The Report and its reccomendations is the only way that we can rip the program from the moorings of mediocrity.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Postby the informant » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:01 pm

First of all, please direct me to the below quotation that it seems you claim I said. Second, if you feel that is my summary, you have poor interpretive skills and research ability.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc500:
<B>Your point is summarized by the following quotation: "the media knows nothing." </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On to the argument...
There is no animosity anywhere except to people who feel like they "know" what is really happening.

All sports are hamstrung at SMU. That is a fact. But to say the administration is working against Dement ["When large-scale forces are working against your success, there's only so much that good coaching can accomplish"] is a joke.

I do not believe the coaches lied to you and nowhere did I say that. You interpreted my quote of coaches having a PR relationship with you, which is true. By no means did I mean coaches feed you false information. But the relationship and interaction any coach has with the media is different than how they act around their team and staff. Despite how much you will argue and disagree with the following comment, you have to understand, that media are essentially looking through a window, with an occasional step or two inside.

Mike Dement does have great intensity. But intensity does not translate into great coaching. Just like intensity does not translate into great playing. It is a characteristic that is necessary in athletics and greatly benefits, but it by no means translates to anything more. Nor am I questioning Mike Dements passion. I seriously doubt he wants to lose games or ever wants to quit on his team. In fact, I know he doesn't.

You stated: "The man had absolute control over his team - his authority was not questioned in any practice I observed." <B>For anyone that was truly around the SMU basketball team during the Sasser, Davis, Hancock era knows this is a falsity.</B> Most fans that attended games during this era will also agree. The fact that you stated this shows that you have interpretive problems and hurts your credibility and arguements. I will come back to this point later, because this point builds my case like no other and I thank you for saying this.

There is no need for me to go see more practices. I spent years in Moody, behind doors you never even knew existed and if you did, you would not be allowed in, because you were member of the "media," while my credentials were different.

My SMU hoops knowledge is exponentially greater than yours. I am not going to dwell on this because it is childish. I will not reveal myself, but if I did you would agree, so just trust me. I am yet to come across a Daily Campus Sports Editor with great, or good, insight into any SMU sports. Just because you went to practice, participated in the post game press conference, and read the box score, does not mean you have legitimacy. You were the sports editor for the freaking Daily Campus, which hurts your legitimacy and credibility greatly.

There are only two things that matter if you are a coach or in the athletic business...revenue and winning. You are living in a fantasyland if you believe otherwise. I have been in the athletic industry for 8 years now and you cannot persuade me differently. If graduation rates or any other little characteristic other than wins and money are important to you or the SMU athletic department, then that is what is wrong with the department.

I am by no means saying Dement should be fired. I am not saying firing or keeping him is the cure to the program. Once again, your shoddy interpretation skills at work.

Thank God you will not partake in the abuse of our courts.

Now back to the point about Dement's control of the team:
You stated that you were the sports editor for the DC. I forgot the dates of this stint, but I believe it was in the early years of the Sasser/Davis/Hancock era. I am sorry to do this, but your legitimacy is about to be tossed out the window. Dement lost control of his team with this trio of talent. Dement had the chance to take SMU bball to the highest level with three players that were all in consideration of All American status at one point in their career. Dement had the cards lain out in front of him for the 2000-2001 season. He had two prospective All American senior leaders in Davis and Sasser. He had a up an coming junior point guard who was drawing the attention of the NBA (Hancock). He had sophmore Q Ross, the just named WAC player of the year. He had two junior big men in Niemi and Forinash. We were receiving local and national publicity, DMN named us top 25, and most national poll listed us top 30. Dement had a tough schedule which featured out of conference games against Tulane, New Mexico State, Houston, Nebraska, OU (top 25), and Tennessee (top 25). We lost every big game. Do you know why? Because Dement could not get the team to function as a team. He could not get control over them. Sasser and Davis were out for themselves and made it clear in every time out and at every practice. There were countless times on the bench when Dement and Sasser or Dement and Davis got into arguments. This was clear from the stands, from the TV, from the bench, or from Europe. Dement lost control of his team and is yet to regain it. Once a team experiences this, there is no going back and regaining it.

You see, there is something about playing a team sport that just requires the need for a team. A coach has many responsibilities. Strategy, passion, and intensity do not do it all. There is a key term you are missing…CHEMISTRY. Under Dement, there has been no chemistry. This years team has shown signs and even whole game halves of it. Chemistry could have taken us deep into the NCAA tourney that year or many other years. Strategy can win you games like Morris Brown, UTEP, Rice, and sometimes TCU, Tulsa, or Fresno. But chemistry is what takes you to the next level. If you look at Dement’s history at SMU you will see he has ZERO top 25 wins. He has ZERO NCAA births. He has ZERO NIT wins. He has 5 conferences tourney wins in 7 years equating to 1 post-season birth (NIT). That is not a sign of greatness with the talent he has had.

I just want to make it clear to you and everyone reading this topic that you, jc500, have little understanding of the SMU basketball program. You also have to understand that there is more to coaching than X’s and O’s.

I am going to leave with the reprinting of perhaps the most ludicrous statement EVER on ponyfans.com. One that brings laughter to me and many I know… "The man had absolute control over his team - his authority was not questioned in any practice I observed." I cannot thank you enough for making me laugh at this statement. Also, thanks for shooting yourself in the foot.

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby the informant » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:02 pm

And Mr. Corey,

I am looking forward to your memo on the SMU basktball program and your plan for sucess. But before you go and make a fool of yourselve, you may want to make sure you know what is really going on over in Moody.

Yours Truely,
TI

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby PX » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:40 pm

I was going to stay out of this, because I thought it had to be a joke, but if you guys are seriously going to argue about this, it shouldnt be too hard to settle.

Even the most biased observer could not ever try to claim that the basketball team was under control by anybody in those years. The evidence is fairly overwhelming. Teams that are under control and focused dont produce incidents like what happened at the team hotel in Fresno during the WAC tournament. Teams under control dont see repeated player suspensions in a single season. Suspensions are a last resort, they're what a coach has to do when he's lost control. Teams under control dont repeatedly blow close games because of bad decisions at crunch time. From Dewayne Floyd throwing his gum into the stands and making obscene gestures at the crowd in their season opener, to Tommy Nabity's brief scuffle with a referee after the last home game, the 2000-2001 season was a train wreck, looking for places to happen. In between, Willie Davis was suspended after a blow up in the locker room after the UTEP game, Willie and Jeryl were benched for missing team meetings, while Dewayne and Nigel missed the last 5 games for academic reasons. Maybe Chad Elsey was the smart one, he transferred before the season even started.

You really dont need to go beyond the Fresno hotel freak party. If that doesnt scream out to you that no one had their hands on the steering wheel, then you're blind.
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:06 pm

Well said 411 and PX. To me the "hoops legitimacy" was lost when JC said Dement was ...and I quote, "an AMAZING coach" and a "legend". PX, I too thought this was a complete joke at first.

I think Floyd was a bad seed from the get go but he was nice off the bench. Dement admitted in an email to me that he "lost control of Sasser his sophomore year." Coaches control their players. Please explain to me why we saw 1 on 5 basketball during all those years...I'd love to see the assist totals...As a bubble Top 25 program, the wheels came off completely that year for whatever reason...but I think lack of chemistry and control are right up there.

I think the Informant has spelled it out pretty clear for us.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:31 pm

there is rarely a coach that hasn't lost control of his team at one time or another-Dave Bliss who has unquestioned credentials had an absolute train wreck on his hands in at least two years during the Carl Wight years. The common thread in both years were players like Carl Wright and Larry Davis---and Jerryl Sasser and Willie Davis who refused to play team basketball. Now if we had a deep, talented team in those years Dement could have sat their [deleted] on the bench when Saser played matador defense or Willie Davis jacked up 3 after 3 after 3 with his 20% shooting average- Guess what there was nobody on the bench who could repace them. SMU in the Dement years never had Top 25 talent-Never-it is an absolute farce to suggest otherwise-maybe its been so long since you people have seen a Top 25 team that you've lost perspective. I suggest you attend the Big 12 Tourney this week in Dallas to see the inside power those teams have. Top 25 teams don't count on players like Jon Forinash or Michael Niemi-think you just blew any credibility you had by even mentioning their names. SMU got beat in those years because they were blistered by the inside players at TCU, Tulsa and Fresno St-those players were largely JUCO All-Americans, non-qualifiers and/or thugs with criminal records-those are the facts-don't sit here and pontificate about Dement not getting us to the tournament when he has had 2 hands tied behind his back by the administration and has been beaten by the very players SMU refuses to admit to the university. There is one school in Texas that has played under the same general guidelines as Dement and he has owned that team for several years. When Forninash and Niemi proved to be stiffs Mike Dement did not have the opportunity to go recruit a couple of JC Blue Chippers Centers and PFs like Tulsa, TCU and Fresno St did. 95% of the programs in this country would have done just that-and SMU would have been quite stout with even average inside players. Dement maybe hasn't achieved what you people in La-La Dreamland hoped but most of you have been wrong for 20 combined years of FB and BB seasons. 0-20 should tell some of you that there is something much more basic that is wrong with this program. Most of you people are the same ones who said that Mike Cavan was all that's wrong with the FB and that all we needed was someone to motivate the boys and install discipline. How did that work out for ya. I'll tell you-SMU had one of the weakest teams in its history with a Sagrain rating- what- in the 120's? Stop looking for the easy answer or start firing the people hiring the alleged idiots.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 03-10-2003).]

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby the informant » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:33 am

First, Stallion, I think you state some great facts. But may I make a suggestion. Please break up your comments into paragraphs; it makes it easier on the eye. But I do not want to take away from anything you said, it just looks like you said it in one raging breath. (haha)

What I would like to do is point out that I never said Niemi and Forinash were great, or even good. I just said he had two big men. Which leads me to a point I forgot to make. Under Dement's regime, big men have come here and never developed. Is that coaching or a lack of talent? Never seemed to be much emphasis on the development of a big man, despite our dire needs for a big man.

In Dement's defense, my people tell me the new assistant (Crawford) is setting out to develop the big man for SMU.

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby the informant » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:45 am

And Stallion, you do say some not so good things (after re-reading).

Mike Cavan was a problem. BUT, so where his players. SMU had poor talent and they still do. But it is getting better. The past two years of recruiting will pay off shortly. A coach cannot come in and make a winning team in one year, not even two. If Bennett can do it in three years, he is a damn good coach. Start judging after three, that is what I did with Cavan. I did not buy into him after that one good year.

As an informant, I can tell you, the things Bennett is doing are right.

And there are coaches that maintain control. Bobby Knight, Phil Jackson, Coach K, Dean Smith. No I am not putting Dement into that category, but jc500 is by calling Dement a legend.

And yes SMU did have the talent to be a top 25 team that year. True we did not have a lot of depth, but if you are able to control a game (or at least be in it) against teams like OU, Tennessee, Nebraska, Tulsa, and Fresno until the last 5 minutes and lose, you have the talent. <B>It comes down to chemistry, coaching, and discipline to win. SMU did not have it.</B>

I hate to single people out, but I am the INFORMER!

PS: thanks to PX for bringing up specific examples I wish to forget about.

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:27 am

if you think SMU had Top 25 talent then let me assure you that you are the ONLY source that thinks so.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby the informant » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> if you think SMU had Top 25 talent then let me assure you that you are the ONLY source that thinks so.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. There is no reason to make stuff up just because it is not your opinion...
<A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/news/00-01/001107mbb.asp" TARGET=_blank>SMU No. 23 in Dallas Morning News Preseason Poll</A>
Some more proof:
-we lost by 9 against #6 Tennessee (we controlled game until last 10 minutes)
-we beat Virginia
-we lost by 2 to Nebraska (8 pt. lead with 7.5 minutes)
-we lost by 1 in OT to #17 Oklahoma (blew it in final 2 minutes)
-we lost by 6 to #25 Fresno

And I stated something wrong earlier. I said most national poll had us top 30, well I meant top 40. Here is some proof before you try and dispute that, Stallion:
9-22-2000 "SMU Ranked No. 28 by Lindy's College Basketball"
11-2-2000 "SMU Men's Basketball Opens Season 41st in Coaches Poll"
11-6-2000 "SMU Ranked 40th in First AP Men's Basketball Poll of the Year"

I would say there are more people than myself and the DMN that thought we had top 25 TALENT.

------------------
I've got the 411.

[This message has been edited by the informant (edited 03-10-2003).]
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby jc500 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:16 am

Informant,

Solid post. To the inferior mind it might appear as if you have broached my superiority. However, the overall legitimacy of my knowledge about the program and its institutionally-based restrictions stands tall above your critique because you fail to address the points that I made. Once again, you have failed to understand and react accordingly to the vastness at which my mind operates - demonstrating the crude, result-driven view of the problems that plague the program.

Given that you have been a pawn in the athletic business for 8 years, it's understandable that your mind operates at an astonishing level of simplicity.

First, the "quotation" "the media knows nothing" was not a direct quote, but quotation as a summation. Technical error on my behalf. Apologies.

Second, because public relations work is inherently dishonest, my surmizing your pr-mentality point is totally justified.

Third, my coverage of the Hoops team was in 97-98, the freshman year of Sasser and Willie Davis. Damon Hancock, whose recruitment some in the program questioned because he was thought to be a bad seed, was not even a member of the team at that time.

Therefore, my statement about coach Dement's command over the team is entirely correct. (If you read carefully, as I have instructed you to do, you'll notice that it described control over the team in 97-98.) This fact completely decimates the entirety of your argument because you place such heavy reliance on the erroneous belief that this was a "ludicrous statement."

Fourth, I think you make an excellent point in discussing team chemistry. My earlier postings omitted this concept because it was not a topic of discussion. Now that you've brought it into the fold, it shall be addressed.

Dement is not at fault for any poor chemistry that resulted in the years after 97-98. Again, you have to look at the institutional problems that produced poor chemistry. Because of SMU's lackluster ability to recruit, they had to take the best players they could without regard to team chemistry. Hancock was obviously a direct result of this policy.

Hancock and Sasser did not co-exist during their years of playing together. Number of shots was an issue because both felt they had the requisite game to assume the position of team leader. I have full confidence that Mike Dement did everything in his power to cure that situation. But there is only so much that good coaching can do for team members who refuse to coexist.

Again, you've got to look at the institutional factors that forced the program to take Hancock under their wing.

Fifth, Tulane, New Mexico State, Houston and Nebraska are not quality non-conference foes. There can be no doubt that Tennessee and Oklahoma were quality foes, but you do yourself a great disservice by listing the other teams.

Sixth, your statements about what matters in coaching and the athletic business are totally unintelligible in that they relate to absolutely nothing discussed previously. In fact, your statement shows that you did not read a prior posting of mine carefully. As I indicated previously, following the "win or your out" prevailing philosophy in college hoops will do more harm than good for the Pony Hoops program.

You might have been referring to an earlier posting in which I pointed out Dement's incredible ability to run a clean program. However, this point was related to the legendary status of Mike Dement - which has little to do with my argument that Dement needs to be retained.

Seventh, I must again ask that you read my prior postings. My claim to unassailable legitimacy was in no way based on the fact that I worked at the DC. I correctly labeled the DC as a cut-rate jack rag. However, the DC's rep has nothing to do with mine. You have to remember that the legitimacy debate began because someone thought I was making up facts based on my current residence in Eugene, OR. My brief DC editorship only served to provide reliable, web-accesible proof that I was on the Hilltop a few years ago.

Eight, the administration is indeed working against Dement in that they will not provide an obviously superior coach the kind of tools it takes to win in D-I hoops. The lack of recruiting assistance and good non-conference schedules has severely hampered Dement's ability to win and recruit.

It strikes me currently that you may indeed be in that administration, given your somewhat laudable argumentative skills and your complete defense of an administration that has not really lived up to their end of the bargain. If this is so, I really hope you will accept defeat in this argument, pay careful attention to the forthcoming Report, and utilize its reccomendations. You, more than anyone else, have a responsibility to the program.

In addition, if you are a member of the administration, it makes sense that you feel such a raging need to disrespect the finest basketball coach SMU has ever had the privilege of employing. In which case, you are simply trying to rationalize what could be the worst decision in your professional career.

Alternatively, perhaps you are a booster that contributed in some nefarious way to the Hancock addition and the debacle it caused. If this is the case, I understand your hesitancy to reveal your identity. Also, in the future, please make sure you screen out potential non-team-players when you engage in some fringe recruiting behavior.

Ninth, please tell me you didn't try to squeeze in Niemi and Forinash as support for your argument. While I have respect for those two guys personally, and while I respect their efforts on the court, there is absolutely no way that you can claim they were a solid piece of any puzzle. Those two guys are the college equivalents of the pro-game of Greg Ostertag - yeah they made it to that level of competition, but in comparison to EVERYONE ELSE on the court, they are lumbering, uncoordinated, akward, slow and ugly.

In summation, it's clear you cannot accept the fact that the Atletic Department's neglect of the program is the major source of its downfall. This puzzles me. Your other points are pure abstractions - in no way dealing with the issues on the table.

Again, I applaud the effort, but cannot accept its conclusions. I would ask for more comment from you, but I don't think much would be resolved by it. I think this is a good point to respect our differences of opinion and move on.

Having said that, I really question the non-disclosure of your position within the program. I would like very much for you to reveal your role so that it might be subjected to the same kind of scrutiny and scorn that I have utterly decimated.

I must shift gears to discuss the pitiful efforts by PX and Pony_Fan.

First, let me address the pathetic nature of the timing of your comments. It's clear that you two have been reading all other responses to this thread, hoping eagerly to jump on the bandwagon of a post that appeared to have merit. With this hesitantcy in mind, your comments are all the more ridiculous because they reflect no original thought. What's next, some more spelling error accusations?

You two have a lot to learn.

Second, the Dwayne floyd incident was entirely over-blown. Player frustrations are constant, and the manifestations of these frustrations are inevitable. Throwing your gum into the stands, while admittedly not a smart move, is not credible evidence of a loss of control.

Third, I know Tom Nabbity personally. I like Tom Nabbity. The guy is the nicest person you will ever meet.

Having said that, I never hung out with Nabbity that much because he was an inveterate straight-laced individual. (My days on the Hilltop consisted of a lot more drinking than Nab's.) You cannot tell me for one second that Nabbity's incredibly minor outburst had anything to do with subversion of MD's authority.

I would bet you that MD appreciated
jc500
Recruit

Postby the informant » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:09 am

To make everyone happy I will reveal myself...but it is at the end of the post.

A quick note, DeWayne shoved a ref in Beaumont, Texas after the Lamar game and was placed in police custody. He was also under no control by the coach at SMU during his years there, just ask anyone that was there.

Well, the fact that you were "close" to the SMU basketball program for one year is really impressive. But the SMU basketball program has struggled for many years, and has spiraled since you granted SMU peace by leaving.

I understand what you are saying now about the administration working against Dement. I please ask that you re-word that statement. The administration is not "working against" him. You make it seem as though they are trying to make him fail. They are not. Athletics loses millions every year. There is simply not enough money for any department in athletics to operate the way they wish. It is a numbers game. If the money was there, trust me, the administration would fund it. Now, yes, the teaching faculty is working against Dement, and all athletics for that matter, but that is a different issue.

Here are some facts for you. Tulane, UofH, etc are much better out of conference teams than the Morris Browns and Arkansas Pine Bluffs that Dement so loves to play to cushion his record. The administration pushes these bigger games for many reasons, mainly revenue.

I will agree that we could argue the differences of opinions until eternity. I will accept your motion to move on. I was just glad to discredit you. Or at least get an admittance that I made a dent.

In summary:
-I understand you understand the numbing mediocrity of the DC. My argument is this: you were a student reporter. Unless you had some other connection to the team, besides knowing Tommy Nabity, I will question your legitimacy, because you have not seen the whole story.
-Dement has had opportunity while he has been here to be more successful than he has been. In other words, the stage has been set for post-season births.
-The only thing I am truly challenging you on is your credibility and legitimacy of "knowing" the SMU bball program, which I am yet to see you prove.

Sorry jc500, it would take one thing from you to join your little memo we are all waiting for...money. I am an informant, I inform for money. It would hurt my reputation to join your side, you don't know enough about what really goes on.

And I am not being paid for this information being posted on ponyfans.com. This is community service for uncivil activity I was convicted of.

Now to my revelation: I am Keyser Soze.

haha, gotcha!

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby PX » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:15 am

Pathetic? I have a news flash for you pal, Dement makes up his own schedule. Always has. Playing the Savannah States and Hardin Simmons and Austin Colleges of the hoops world was his idea, not anyone elses. When he got here we were playing Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. He didnt waste any time getting all those schools off the schedule. Prior to Dements arrival an Assistant AD (Mark Peterson) did the scheduling, that was when we played a serious schedule. Peterson was transferred to the admissions office, and Dement filled the schedule with Harvard, Prairie View and Florida Atlantic. Saying that the administration wouldnt give him a competitive schedule is laughable, you have it directly backwards. The administration wasnt standing in his waay, they were begging him to play someone decent. But he wanted guaranteed wins, wanted to assure himself a winning record every year.

Was Dement in control of the team in Jeryls freshman year? Maybe. But its clear to anyone with eyes that he had lost control less than a year later. Even if you wave away everything else, the Fresno incident is still sitting there, and there's really no need for me to say anything else. That one is pretty definitive.
Dewayne Floyd was a serious head case, the gum incident was just the tip of the iceberg with him. If you dont know that, you really dont have any idea what was actually going on.
Dont give me any crap about Tom, we've been friends for years and I know the guy a hell of a lot better than you do.

Finally, and most importantly, if you actually knew what you were saying then your words would speak for you. If there was any truth or wisdom to them, it would be self evident. You wouldnt have to go around whining about your legitimacy, or making silly claims of superiority. If you actually were insightful, people would see it without you having to beg them to stroke your ego. A good orator can convince his audience of the accuracy of his opinions without stooping to whining, or insulting them. Come back and try again when you grow up.
PX
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball