PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts/Predictions?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts/Predictions?

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:11 pm

Although Dement is 1-6 on Senior Day and our recent past history, I would think we can pull this off.
La Tech was on a big winning streak and then hit a wall and have lost their last 4 games. I am surprised they got tripped up by UTEP. They haven't played since 3/1. Let's contain Felton and not let him get a career high again (27 pts last game) Meeking had a double double as well...UTEP held these two to 13pts total...I'd love to see that.

02/20 Rice L 65-63
02/22 Northern Iowa L 76-71
02/27 at UTEP L 75-57
03/1 at Boise State L 74-51

SMU 77
La Tech 70

Let's give Q a great farewell!!! He will be sorely missed next year.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 03-08-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts/Predictions?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:54 pm

I think we'll win this game tonight, 68-65 with Q scoring 20 pts or more in his last home game in front of the usual 1,500.

We will go on to Tulsa and beat La Tech again for a 1st round win before losing to Tulsa in 2nd round (Nevada will beat Tulsa tonight in Reno to earn the #1 seed)

Quinton Ross will pass Ira Terrell and become the 5th all-time leading scorer in SMU history and the Ponies will finish 17-13, which is slightly better than the .500 season C.P. predicted before the TCU game.

I will have to wait to see what our incoming Frosh look like before I predict whether we will be better next year and can make a run at a post season berth.

That's my prediction. Hope they prove me wrong and become the WAC's representative in the Big Dance at 19-12.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:25 pm

Expext very few students tonight!

SMU Spring Break began on Friday - I am sure that there will be no-one behind the Pony Bench this evening.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DickerJames » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:15 pm

I think we will win this game tonight, but if we don't, Dement should be fired on the spot. I truly don't understand where the optimism is coming from on this board concerning this team. The only reason to be happy about this season is the fact we beat TCU, Baylor, and Tulsa. Reality says we had to go to overtime to beat a pathetic horned frog squad at home, and IMO if Billy Tubbs were still the coach we would have lost. Baylor is bad and it also took overtime at home, and in the Tulsa game, Tulsa shot a million 3's and thankfully only made about 3. We lose out top scorer next year, and I still see posts saying how next yeaar we will be better. How does anybody still have faith left in this coaching staff?
DickerJames
All-American

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:32 pm

Note to DickerJames. While Baylor might not be too good, they just beat texas tech. We couldn't do that, but we still beat baylor, no matter how long it took. Dement isn't the greatest coach, but given our situation, we ought to support the team. Isn't that what fans do?

Go Ponies.
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:45 pm

Baylor won AT Okla State earlier this year, too. Anytime we can beat Baylor, TCU & UNT in the same year, I'm pleased.

Let's face it...SMU has a lot of fans who think it's our birth right to win championships, and anything short of that makes them want to berate the players, coaches, administration, etc... We don't have enough really supportive fans, and that's a big part of why we are solidly entrenched as a "mid-major" program.

Anyone who doesn't see the improvement in this team and hope for the future obviously hasn't been paying close attention.

Note to DickerJames: if you're in Dallas and posting at gametime, that tells me all I need to know about how big a supporter you are of our basketball program.

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 03-08-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Postby DickerJames » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:36 pm

Note to No Cal Pony: I support this team, I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years. This has been a very strange year and Dement got very lucky with the WAC having probably its weakest year ever, Baylor TCU and Tulsa having down years, and Fresno not being in the WAC tournament. Also, if I'm not mistaken, when we played Baylor their top scorer did not play due to injury.

Note to Charleston Pony: I was not posting at game time and was at the game last nite as always. I also said nothing about us having a birth right to win championships, nor did I berate the players or coaches or administrative staff. I do howerver expect more than one NIT appearance in 8 years under the same coach. We played a team last nite that had just been drubbed by UTEP, one of the worst teams in Div.1, and had a 4 or 5 game losing streak going. We won easily as we should, and I will say it again, IF WE HAD LOST TO THAT HEARTLESS TEAM LAST NITE DEMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED ON THE SPOT. I am not going to sit back and applaud mediocrity anymore, nor will I look through rose colored glasses and say the future looks bright. Take advantage of the opportunity that just fell in our laps and make it to the championship game, and I will give them my praise. Anything less is just more of the same tired story.

2nd note to Charleston Pony: Poor attendance isn't why we are so called Mid Major, lack of winning and going to the dance is the culprit.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby TUfan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>(Nevada will beat Tulsa tonight in Reno to earn the #1 seed).</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Looks like we spoiled that part of your plan. Image
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby The CPC » Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:58 pm

The Baylor game didnt go to overtime, we lead pretty much the whole way, and were up by at least 15. Baylor was very ragged early in the year, possibly because there best player was injured for awhile and even when he came back their chemistry was slow to develop. If they hadnt lost to SMU and TCU, they might have been in NIT consideration, because they are finishing a bit stronger.

CPC agrees whole heartedly that this is the weakest year the WAC has ever had (more on that later) and he was the first one to predict that last nights game should be a laugher because La. Tech was going through a serious melt down. But, that doesnt change the fact that the team is going into the tournament this year with a bit of momentum, a definite change from the last few seasons. CPC doesnt have any real illusions about beating Tulsa or even Nevada, but they should get past Boise State. If they dont, CPC will agree completely that they didnt fulfill their potential, but for now there is a little more reason for optomism.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball