PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:21 am

What a game and career by Q. 29 points, 10 boards all in the flow of the game. BHop played one of his best games of the year I thought. La Tech laid down, but SMU played strong. This was Qs night. The crowd was more vocal than most this year and sent the seniors out the right way.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:30 am

Does anyone know where Castro was tonight? I know he played 12 mins... is he injured and I just missed hearing that info? GREAT GAME btw! GO STANGS!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:57 am

Anybody who was at the game: what was attendance? 1700? 2000? 3000? I know there were not many students there w/ spring break. Hope we were able to bump it up some, in their absence.

Great job Mustangs!

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 03-08-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:03 am

box score listed 4000, so definitely not a bad showing with the students absent!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby The CPC » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:54 am

The 3 seniors started, and Nigel and Jibran were doing fairly well, so thats why Castro didnt get his normal minutes. In a blowout game it was probably a nice thing to give the seniors lots of time. CPC actually thought Q got too much time. With 4 minutes left in the game and close to a 30 point lead it was time to take Q out, no sense risking an injury in a game thats already over, right before the tourney. Take him out, let the crowd give him a standing O, and save him for games that might be important.

4000? Yeah, sure, if 2,000 of them were Easter Bunnies. Maybe a few Tooth Fairies to keep them company. Someone in the ticket office has a real sense of humor, or they're fond of fairy tales. Who do they think they're fooling with this? Anyone who actually comes to a game is going to see its BS, and then we come off looking like schmucks. Oh well, what can you do?
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:47 am

There was the usual 1500-2000 on hand tonight and the lucky $20K winner of the Mustang Idol contest.

Way to go Q...he was on fire tonight!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mulletmike » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:25 pm

Gonna miss Q!!! He's been a great Stang, pure class. Helluva player!
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:33 pm

I'm like the rest of you — I can't describe how much I've enjoyed watching Q (and Nigel SMith and Jibran Kelley) play over the years. I just hope that when he's in the NBA, he doesn't big-time us and forget SMU. Hopefully he'll be one NBA player who comes back to visit the Hilltop.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:55 pm

Ross ended last night's game 5 points shy of Ira Terrell for 5th place on the school scoring list.

He'll pass I.T. in the first couple of minutes Thursday afternoon.

Go Ponies!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:09 pm

I was at the game and, candidly, I was shocked to see as many people show up and be vocal during Spring Break. I personally think the attendance was well north of 2k...possibly 2,500 to 3,000. It was bolstered by the Marketing Dept bringing in groups, but the atmosphere was good, and many more butts in seats than I expected.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby D » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:49 pm

Just saw the article about Q and Hop getting WAC honors. Great to see Q selected as the WAC player of the year. He was as consistent as it gets during WAC play. Not to jump the gun before the tourney this week, but we will truly miss him next year and need someone to step up to take his place.
Also, nice to see Hop get named the Newcomer of the year. He has had an up and down year with the injuries, but he really has a ton of potential, showed signs of greatness and I hope he develops into a player of the year for us.
Good luck to the team in the tourney this weekend. Can't help but expect great things based on recent performance. At the least, hopefully we will get past the first couple of games and secure a postseason berth (NIT) to give our younger guys some experience to build on. Beyond that, I would love to see the momentum continue and have the ponies ride into the NCAA tourney. Maybe they will make it to the Nashville bracket where I have tickets for the the 1st and 2nd round. That would be awesome to see.
D
Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:27 am

Great news about Q. Let's hope we can maintain the quality of play and players. Here's to the future WAC player of the year, B. Hopkins! Now, let's win the WAC tourney!!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Basketball