PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

First Game

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:56 am

#2 Seed vs # 7 Seed Boise State.

Let's hope we can continue shooting lights out and roll over the Broncos. Nevada will be a challenge but I am glad we have TU on the other side. I'd hope we see Tu in the finals.

Go Mustangs!

<A HREF="http://www.wac.org/articles/artfiles/41411_men's_bracket.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wac.org/articles/artfiles/41411_men's_bracket.pdf</A>

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 03-09-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: First Game

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:07 pm

I must be dreaming. Did SMU actually win their end of season games and become the second seed in the WAC tournament? Just when I was about to give up hope for the program, this happens. If we were not playing out of town, I would get my hopes up for winning the tournament; but that is not going to happen if we meet Tulsa in the finals. Still it is nice to win and have some hope for the future.

------------------
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:15 pm

12:00 p.m., Boise State (7) vs. SMU (2)
2:30 p.m., La Tech (6) vs. Nevada (3)
6:00 p.m., Hawaii (5) vs. Rice (4)
8:30 p.m., UTEP/SJS vs. Tulsa (1)

This could not have worked out any better. Boise, then Nevada, then one game with Tulsa to go to the dance!! I know that is assuming a lot but that's all we can do at this point. And wouldn't it be great if either Hawaii or Rice could knock off Tulsa in the semis?? This is going to be fun!
Also, I have changed my tune, I think two wins gets us in the NIT if we lose the final.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:32 pm

Great seedings but let's not get too excited folks Image

I am sure last night's win gave them lots of confidence...hopefully they can keep up the intensity. Q was on fire last night and looked very focused.

I don't think I can ever remember stats like this for the Ponies:

11 3 balls
24 assists
Good rebounding
56% FG percentage
PG (Hopkins 7 assists, 2 TO's)
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:04 pm

One of the more telling stats was the 24 assists. That number of assists and the 2:1 assists:turnovers ratio is something you usually see from top 25 teams. I can't imagine how long it's been since the 'Stangs have posted those kind of numbers.
Charleston Pony

Postby mulletmike » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:48 pm

CP, you are dead-on. In my numerous rants about Dements "me' brand of basketball, one of the calling cards is the ratio of team assists to the number of field goals. Top tier D1 teams get 75%(or more) of their points off assists.

24 team assists is very good and a dramatic improvement.

The WAC draw is VERY favorable. It'd be nice to make some noise for once.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:37 pm

Right - the assists were huge. Hopkins and Q, in particular, passed the ball great last night.

I can't wait to see Hop healthy next year. Did you notice that one play where he knocked the ball away, beat the Bulldogs to the loose ball .... and got caught from behind? When he's healthy, there's no way that happens. We're going to need Hop at full speed next year. (And with more consistenly good shot selection than some of the quick bombs he heaved up last night. I thought Coach Dement's bowlcut was going to fall out of his head.)
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:29 pm

I was really impressed by Hopkins last night. He made great decisions, didn't make any rushed or stupid plays and looked like he had regained his hops. He looks like a totally different player from the beginning of the year... for that reason I think we have as good a chance as any team in the conference to win the WAC tournament.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby MustangFan » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:38 pm

I don't know, it still didn't look like he had the burst of speed and quickness he had in HS. He wasn't able to separate from the defense with he had a breakaway. But he is taking good care of the ball and making much better passes. Maybe he's broken through the "freshman wall."
MustangFan
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:41 pm

Perhaps that breakaway speed is there, it just doesn't look so nifty against college players.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball