PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fans and Spirit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fans and Spirit

Postby PX » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DallasDiehard:
<B>Who's Maggie?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maggie is the dance squads captain. People on the board have given her a hard time because she was sitting in the stands on Saturday night, instead of performing. I dont see this as being her fault, though. If the rest of the team isnt going to be there, how silly would it look to have just one girl? At least she came to the game. She's always at the games, regardless of wether the dancers are performing or not, and I dont think she should be given a hard time for supporting the team, even when the rest of the dancers arent.
PX
Varsity

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:15 pm

I have heard a few rumours that the dance team won't be there (basketball games) next year either. But there's no way to be for sure, since the rumour mill is a-running.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:48 pm

Not true. You should not spread rumors that you can't back up. Enough of this. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jonas Seuraut:
<B>I have heard a few rumours that the dance team won't be there (basketball games) next year either. But there's no way to be for sure, since the rumour mill is a-running.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:46 pm

The problem is summed up in two words: greek life.

I think all of the cheerleaders are in sororities... I know Kristen (the captain) is, as well as a few others. I'm going to ask Kristen's sister what the deal is and I'll get back to yahs.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Eddie P » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:58 pm

Isn't that a bit much...blaming Greek life for the absence of the dance squad? Unless things have changed dramatically since my days on the Hilltop, it's not like people arrive at the parties until 11pmish at the earliest...

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:17 pm

Maybe SMU could work a deal with the Highland Park High School drill/dance team. Director Cathy Wheat always has a much more talented group than anything SMU can put up. And they'd all be there (on time)!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:29 pm

Before I make my comment I would like to point out that I am not a cheerleader/dance team "homer." My experiences with them as a spirit organization have been mostly unpleasant, and except for a few persons on the whole I have found them rude, and rather whiney. Now having said that, before we start harping on them, it would be important to point out that they are just a microcosm of the student population as a whole. THe students don't care about the teams, because they have been too bad for too long. Win and things will change. When we begin to win, the students and the community become interested, and there will then you will see your cheerleader and dance team roles suddenly become prestigous. No one wants to be associated with a loser, that is why our alumni in the area don't attend in large numbers, that is why the band is small (even if they still are pretty damn good), that's why the cheerleaders don't mind rotating off, and the dance team doesn't mind not showing up at all. Seriously who wants to perform in front of 400 people at a women's basketball game. I did, but that is only because I love SMU and I loved playing in the band. No matter how bad our teams get, as long as I am in Dallas, I am going to keep trying to go to the games. I am like most of the posters here, the exception. Winning cures the problems, and no matter what you do, no one will ever get excited about a losing team. Every sports movie ever made will prove that to you, and every sports franchise faces the same thing.....sorry, kinda got off on a rant.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:32 pm

um...yeah...my point is don't harp on those individuals when those individuals are just a small part of the larger problem....SMU students are not used to winning...that is what has to change.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanggirl:
<B>Not true. You should not spread rumors that you can't back up. Enough of this. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have zero beef with pom squad, but this is what I heard. True I cannot back it up from my resource, but that IS why I said it was a rumour and did not say it is a fact. I'm just wondering why you feel the need to fight for them regardless of circumstance.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Postby couch 'em » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>The problem is summed up in two words: greek life.

I think all of the cheerleaders are in sororities... I know Kristen (the captain) is, as well as a few others. I'm going to ask Kristen's sister what the deal is and I'll get back to yahs.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't true.... there are many band members who are greek and they seem to have no trouble meeting the requirements. We are allowed to miss only THREE games all semester, and that is out of all mens and womens games. How hard is it to go to the game, which gets done about 9:00, then take two hours to clean up and eat before going to party? There is plenty of time to get ready to go get drunk..... maybe even start at the game.. it'll make you more rowdy. Just show up. All it takes is the SLIGHTEST bit of dedication.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball