PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fans and Spirit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fans and Spirit

Postby Fresh » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:44 pm

Thumbs up to the fans who showed up, screamed their lungs out and gave a well-deserved ovation to Quinton Ross, Jibran Kelley and Nigel Smith. Those three deserve every bit of the applause and support they got.

Thumbs up to the five cheerleaders who were at the game.

Thumbs down to those cheerleaders and members of the dance team who couldn't see their way clear to dip into their precious spring break party time to help send off the seniors in style and cheer for the Ponies in the final home game of the year. Especially to those who were in the stands instead of on the floor instead of being where they should have been - urging on the crowd. (Who wants to place bets on whether they make the oh-so-long trip to Tulsa for the tournament, which without Tulsa could lead to an NCAA bid? Not a chance. If it was in Honolulu, they'd be there. But the three hours it takes to get to Tulsa is undoubtedly too inconvenient.)
Fresh
Varsity

Re: Fans and Spirit

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:32 pm

Mmhmm, way to go band.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:21 pm

The dance team wasn't scheduled to perform. This is NOT up to the girls. The one girl who was there NEVER misses a game. She will be in Tulsa, from what I hear. If you have complaints, talk to their coach. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fresh:
<B>Thumbs up to the fans who showed up, screamed their lungs out and gave a well-deserved ovation to Quinton Ross, Jibran Kelley and Nigel Smith. Those three deserve every bit of the applause and support they got.

Thumbs up to the five cheerleaders who were at the game.

Thumbs down to those cheerleaders and members of the dance team who couldn't see their way clear to dip into their precious spring break party time to help send off the seniors in style and cheer for the Ponies in the final home game of the year. Especially to those who were in the stands instead of on the floor instead of being where they should have been - urging on the crowd. (Who wants to place bets on whether they make the oh-so-long trip to Tulsa for the tournament, which without Tulsa could lead to an NCAA bid? Not a chance. If it was in Honolulu, they'd be there. But the three hours it takes to get to Tulsa is undoubtedly too inconvenient.)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby couch 'em » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:29 pm

How could a spirit squad not be scheduled to perform at such an important MEN'S GAME!!?!? That coach should be fired. This is not a knock against the girls, who I'm sure try very hard, but most of those random dance squads that come in are better than they are. They dont' seem to make much noise, or get the crowd into it....why are they there?

Let's see if the cheerleaders show up for the first game at the tourney..... I remember last year waking up at 4:30am to get on a bus to make the first women's game.... too bad the cheerleaders didn't. Maybe it'll be different this year.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:32 pm

I assure you, these girls WERE NOT scheduled to be at the game. I disagree with you about the girls' performance. They look good and seem to be very talented. Why are you knocking a group of girls that are doing what they are told to do? A dance team's job is not that of a cheerleader. They dance. You are not being fair. They are evidently doing what their coach says to do. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by couch 'em:
<B>How could a spirit squad not be scheduled to perform at such an important MEN'S GAME!!?!? That coach should be fired. This is not a knock against the girls, who I'm sure try very hard, but most of those random dance squads that come in are better than they are. They dont' seem to make much noise, or get the crowd into it....why are they there?

Let's see if the cheerleaders show up for the first game at the tourney..... I remember last year waking up at 4:30am to get on a bus to make the first women's game.... too bad the cheerleaders didn't. Maybe it'll be different this year.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:06 pm

From what I hear, this spirit squad is seriously slacking. Who's the coach? Do other WAC programs have similar problems?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanggirl:
<B>I assure you, these girls WERE NOT scheduled to be at the game. I disagree with you about the girls' performance. They look good and seem to be very talented. Why are you knocking a group of girls that are doing what they are told to do? A dance team's job is not that of a cheerleader. They dance. You are not being fair. They are evidently doing what their coach says to do. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not faulting the girls - I'm sure they are doing exactly what they are instructed.... that is the problem. There is no excuse for any spirit group to not be scheduled at ANY game...much less a mens game... or a mens game as important as this one. Also, any group which is a "spirit organization" should be involved in the game and yell, cheer, etc. The band's job is not that of the cheerleaders... but we try to compliment them by doing the job of fans... i.e. yelling, cheering, paying attention to the game, trying to make a contribution, etc. Like so many SMU organizations.... it seems like it is time for a coaching change, lol.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Ringer » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:23 am

O.K. this is something is seriously wrong if the cheerleaders or the spirit squad get any games off. When I was in school in the eighies I can qurantee you no cheerleader or "Pom-Pom girl" as they were called, ever were allowed to miss a game unless they were on their death bed. If it is funding (don't see how that can be) than that is another matter, but if it is just the whim of their coach than I say get rid of the coach. Both squads should have 100% attendance at men's games and make a certain percentage of the women's games. That is just how things should be run. You don't do those things halfway. It should be a given.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:28 am

I agree that they should be there. I bet the girls would, too. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ringer:
<B>O.K. this is something is seriously wrong if the cheerleaders or the spirit squad get any games off. When I was in school in the eighies I can qurantee you no cheerleader or "Pom-Pom girl" as they were called, ever were allowed to miss a game unless they were on their death bed. If it is funding (don't see how that can be) than that is another matter, but if it is just the whim of their coach than I say get rid of the coach. Both squads should have 100% attendance at men's games and make a certain percentage of the women's games. That is just how things should be run. You don't do those things halfway. It should be a given.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby the informant » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:51 am

If the girls wanted to be there, then why weren't they? I seriously doubt someone such as the game day ops people said, "if you are not scheduled, you cannot attend." Shawn, Alan, and the rest of the marketing department people would throw up if they heard something like that.

That is a poor excuse stanggirl. If the dance team wanted to be there, they could have been there and danced. No one is stopping you all. You can do it with or without a coach present. It is motivation by the WHOLE team.

I know who the lone dance girl is (brunette, tall) and I am not questioning her loyalty. I am just questioning your quote..."I bet the girls would, too."[want to be there]. It is simple; if you want to go, go.

Also, the dance coach is pretty hot.

------------------
I've got the 411.
I've got the 411.
the informant

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:53 am

1. Way to go Peruna! What a talent. I am disappointed that he is a senior. I hope he has trained someone to do as good a job as he has done. If you ever watch him at the games, the kids really love him. He's got the knack.
2. No reason we cannot have 10-12 cheerleaders pumping it up at every game. That's a choice. Obviously, their responsibilities as a cheerleader take a back seat to social and personal interests.
3. Scrap the so-called dance team. They're cheezy and an embarrassment to the school. I think most people cringe when they perform (football, especially). They're not full-time so it won't be any great loss. They can have EVERY Saturday night off.
4. Thanks to the players and coaches for some exciting games at Moody this year. It's fun to go.
4.5 Thumbs down to the ticket office.
5. I barely recognized Lance at the La Tech game without his shorts and sandals.
5.5 Here's hoping somebody cleans the coliseum before next season. It is filthy.
6. (Saving the BEST for last) The Mustang Band is the greatest. Terrific leadershiip, great musicians, incredible enthusiasm, a lotta spunk and true loyalty to SMU. Thanks!
Bergermeister

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:06 pm

A few comments:

1.) They should be there - period - that is my opinion.

2.) It was senior day - and the senior cheerleaders and band members were honored. I am sure that the senior pom girls would have been honored too if they had shown up - but I guess that they don't care.

3.) If the coach made the decision not to be there - The coach should be canned.

4.) If the choice were to have the seven hottest SMU girls who were the 7 best dancers at SMU join in the pom squad, but have them sporadically show up, vs. having 7 extremely dedicated average-looking girls who show up to every game - I would take the latter.

5.) If the band is there - the rest of the spirit teams should be there.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:47 pm

Bergermeister makes a good point - Peruna is more entertaining this year than he ever has been before.

And with the Drummin' Cowboy leading the way, the Band is having a good year, too.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:50 pm

We've been over the spirit squad issue before. With respect to the dance team, Maggie really is dedicated and should be commended for putting up with all the crap to try to make it work. That said, as I've said before, the dance team should be all or nothing, and because "all" wasn't happening, it is my understanding that they were "asked" to do nothing for the remainder of the season. I'm okay with that. Let's regroup for next season.

Cheerleaders are a mystery to me. First of all, this should be a prestigious position at this school with plenty of people trying out. Why it's not, I don't understand. (Same with the dance team. Girls should be crawling all over each other to get on a dance team for a Div. 1 school). Not to mention the fact that SMU hosts one of the biggest, most successful cheerleading camps every summer.

I am absolutely mystified why such a small cheerleading squad alternates and gives half the squad nights off. I don't get it. I don't know what needs to happen, but whatever it is, I hope someone up high is thinking how to get these groups on track.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:01 pm

Who's Maggie?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball