PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wake loss

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wake loss

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:38 pm

After seeing Wake win the ACC regular season title, that early drubbing we took doesn't hurt as much.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Wake loss

Postby Nacho » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:33 pm

The losses that bother me the most were home losses to Fresno, Boise and Tulsa. On a positive note this team is peaking now. I don't see this team losing in either the first or second round of the tournament. If Hawaii beats Tulsa (not impossible given Tulsa's history against Hawaii in the tournament) in the second round we could easily end up as tourney winners. It would be much tougher to beat Tulsa but they are as afraid of us as we are of them.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 03-10-2003).]
Nacho

Postby ponyte » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:41 pm

First, we beat the stuffing out of Boise State. Anything less is a momentum killer. Then we beat who ever is next. Last, I hope we play Tulsa.

As Nacho put it, we are peaking at the right time. We have played quality teams (Wake for one) and we are playing well as a team. This is the time to take on the best and to beat the best.

This is the best TEAM we have had in a while. We do have great athletes. Now is the time to prove that SMU can play in crucial games and win. I am proud that this team has place itself in such a good position.
ponyte

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:42 pm

I thought all the experts on this board had concluded that Wake and SMU had comparable talent and it was bad coaching that caused us to get stomped on the road-
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby giacfsp » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:05 pm

Losing to Tulsa wasn't bad. They're a team that has struggled, but they certainly have a lot of talent. And we played well enough to win - just didn't happen.

For my money, the loss to Oral Roberts and getting slapped by Appalachian State are the ones that still sting....
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby The CPC » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:11 pm

Definitely. Particulary when you see both those teams got dumped in their conferences tourneys. Oral Roberts lost to UMKC in the first round, and App. State was blown out 98-67 by Chattanooga in the 2nd round of the Southern Conference Tourney. Contrary to what some people thought, neither of those teams are going to see any post season, their year is over.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball