PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UGA Basketball Woes

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UGA Basketball Woes

Postby No Quarter » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:47 am

Front page news in the AJC:

ajc.com

Main article:

<A HREF="http://ads.specificpop.com/pop-code;gid=17,pid=303,bid=597" TARGET=_blank>http://ads.specificpop.com/pop-code;gid=17,pid=303,bid=597</A>
No Quarter
Heisman

Re: UGA Basketball Woes

Postby Ikus » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:51 am

Has Harrick ever coached a team that DIDN'T have a black cloud hanging over it?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby NCPony » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:11 pm

I feel so bad for those players who deserve to be in the SEC and NCAA. UGA is about to have some serious shake-ups. This may be the final undoing of Vince Dooley, as it sounds like the NCAA is going to look into the football program too.

I hope all the UGA players transfer and do to the school what the school is doing to them right now.

Dr. Adams, the president, needs to go, and I hope that Dooley will be gone too. Those guys have screwed up more stuff at UGA in the past 5 years with the firing of Jim Donnan, hiring Harrick, and admitting Tony Cole.

No one even told the bball players what was going to happen before it was made public. The players found out they were not going to the tournaments on TV. Real class act by Dr. Adams, Vince Dooley, and Jim Harrick. Way to let those kids down.
NCPony

Postby No Quarter » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:38 pm

Whether Adams or Dooley survives remains to be seen. Adams was instrumental in (a) changing (shortening) Dooley's contract, (b) getting rid of Donnan, and (c) hiring Herrick.

A little ironic though that Dooley was originally hired by Joel Eaves who replaced AD (and former FB coach) Wally Butts following a scandal including a Saturday Evening Post article wherein Butts was accused of scouting the Georgia team for Bear Bryant.

So far as academics versus athletics at UGA is concerned this is at least somewhat similar to a previous incident where a special education instructor revealed considerations for ball players and inside the SEC morality observed at places like Alabama and Tennessee.

Dooley's comment at that time was that the Georgia FB program could not "unilaterally disarm."
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby k pony » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:15 pm

I am so sick and tired of hearing those poor players are being punished for someone else's doing. People need to look at SMU and see how the Death Penalty is still hurting us in every sport.
k pony
Recruit

Postby NCPony » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:58 pm

NoQ- I agree shortening Dooley's contract is a good thing but I don't think the other two (b & c) were great moves.

In retrospect, and the success of M Richt, getting rid of Donnan looks like a great move. I think Donnan was about to turn the corner with that program and they would be, at least, where they are today, in the top 5 in the nation. But I am biased.

Harrick and Dr. Adams are boys from the past- I believe they were friends from Providence(?). Harrick has some serious baggage, but that's easy to say looking back. He is/was a successful coach with a NC on his resume. Trouble seems to follow him.

On a side note: an SMU alum just called in on a radio show (in Atlanta) to talk about the Death Penalty. They discussed SMU's first game back which was against Notre Dame, the previous year's NC. SMU was only a 71 point underdog. Those days are behind us and hopefully Bennett will erase those memories.
NCPony

Postby PX » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:22 pm

The first game back was against Rice. 35-6 if I remember the score correctly. We didnt play Notre Dame until midseason, and there wasnt any line. It was one of those "One team is not competitive" deals. Houston beat us by 70 that year, that may be what the caller was remembering.
PX
Varsity

Postby NCPony » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:36 pm

Thanks PX. That was a tough year.
NCPony

Return to Basketball