PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Christie's Tomorrow for Game!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Christie's Tomorrow for Game!

Postby DiamondM » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:22 pm

Do not go to Humperdink's tomorrow. They did not get the game. Of course, they didn't bother to tell us that until all 15-20 of the SMU people there for the game ordered, eaten, and it was half time. They kept stringing us along telling us it was a satellite problem.

SOOOO... about 11 of us trekked down to Christie's in Uptown, where they put us up on their big screen and turned sound on.

The manager assured me that the game will be on tomorrow. The catch is that it is up against the UT game (possibly against TTech) so it will probably not be on the main big screen, and we probably won't get sound. However, it's all about numbers. If there are 20 of us (and there were 11 today for the 2nd half) they may put us on the other big screen and cover a couple of pool tables for us to gather round.

It's more fun when we watch together, and the more people we have, the more likely we are to get one of the other big screens. But get there early to stake out an SMU area. I'll try to be there about 5:30 since I work down the street.

Go Mustangs!!
DiamondM
Heisman

Re: Christie's Tomorrow for Game!

Postby D » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:30 pm

They did the same thing to me at a sports bar in nashville. Finally at halftime I headed home and watched the game on the webcast - which was cool. Be good to have a large group at Christie's tomorrow. Wish I could be there. Don't think I have been to a big SMU watching party since we played Tulsa several years ago when we had about 30 people at Humperdinks.
D
Varsity

Postby Sonic » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:16 pm

I was over at Christy's as well and it was a decent showing. It is a great place to watch a game...Everyone come out tomorrow!
Sonic
Scout Team

Postby RI Stang » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:06 pm

The MAT also told us that they will be showing the game tomorrow evening.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:56 pm

Just got back from ESPN Zone in NY, watching the Mustangs, in the midst of 150 or so screaming St. Johns fans. St. Johns was playing, unfortunately, at the same time, and it was a helluva game (they lost). When I arrived, I was informed that SMU would be shown on only one of the TINIEST screens that they have, one of approximately 100 in the place (no exaggeration). There were actually more screens showing ESPN CLASSIC than the SMU-Boise game! We finally got a seat in front of the game, and we STILL could barely see, cause it was so small. At ESPN Zone for cryin out loud!

I am thrilled we won, even though it was not a banner outing. We need better perimeter defense!!!!! DEFENSE GOD*****IT!!!! I was worried when that 3 pt. thing was going to rear its ugly head again.

Anyhoo, let's do a little WORK tomorrow against Nevada, and hit Tulsa HARD the next day.

S-M-U spells SMU!!!
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:12 pm

I tried to watch a Stars vs. Colorado hockey playoff game 7 at ESPN Zone...of course the Knicks were playing and we got 1 TV at the bar standing up.

ESPN ZONE in NY is NY Zone...not a tourist place like they make you think...ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 03-13-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:34 pm

I'm There! See you all at Christies! If you don't know where it is . . . please post a reply!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StangEsq » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:17 pm

ESPN Zone in Times Square is a JOKE. A few months ago we stopped in to see the Cowboys play AZ, and they herded us into a waiting area with about 30 or 40 other cowboys fans (where we couldn't see the game)... about 10 minutes into the game they began to seat us... at 30 bucks a person minimum... then we found out that the feed they had wouldn't allow them to show the cowboys game until the game before it (which was in overtime) ended... so instead of missing another 30 mins, we left, totally PO'ed.

Of course, there are NO other sports bars within 30 blocks of times square. We took a bus and a cab all the way up to somewhere around 79th, and found a cool little dive about the size of humperdinks on greenville, with about 300 people packed into it... and about 100 televisions showing every game. I only caught the second half of a miserable Cowboys loss that proved to be the end of the Q-Car era.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby boulevard bum » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyTime:
<B>I'm There! See you all at Christies! If you don't know where it is . . . please post a reply!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea where christie's is. Please let me know. Thanks.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:36 am

From SMUMUSTANGS.COM:

The game will be broadcasted live at Two-Rows restaurant on Greenville Ave. in Dallas.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:20 am

Christies is on MCKinney. From woodall Roger take right on pearl and a right on McKinney. About two or three miles on the left.
I do not know the cross street.

Good food menu too.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyTime » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:26 am

It is on McKinney - just south of where McKinney turns into a one way street. From SMU (or Central) you need to get off on Hall or Lemon and go south on Cole to get to McKinney going South.

It is between Breadwinners and Chipolte on the West side of McKinney - parking is tricky - but there is supposedly parking in the back.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:29 pm

Whatasteve and I wound up at McKinney Avenue Tavern after ditching Hump's and got to watch the second half on a big screen there. It is located on McKinney Avenue close to Christie's at the intersection of McKinney Ave. and Allen. If Christie's fills up with too many tea sips, you might want to try this place.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Basketball