PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU statements on NCAA Infractions

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU statements on NCAA Infractions

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Stallion wrote:yes basic due process. Initial hearing or trial is a fact finding body. Appellate Court or appellate tribunals generally don't hear evidence although it is some times admissible with newly discovered evidence-but rare. The facts in this case seem pretty well established any way at least after Brown admitted "I lied". The Appellate Court is more concerned with applying established facts to the law and precedent.

So panel re hear or en banc and or we are done.

To the guy who just mentioned Carolina they haven't had their hearing yet
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:20 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:yes basic due process. Initial hearing or trial is a fact finding body. Appellate Court or appellate tribunals generally don't hear evidence although it is some times admissible with newly discovered evidence-but rare. The facts in this case seem pretty well established any way at least after Brown admitted "I lied". The Appellate Court is more concerned with applying established facts to the law and precedent.

Wasn't UNC hit for something very similar to what they have under investigation now 5-10 years ago? I know they got basically nothing for the football investigations or the prior NCAA one.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 pm

I believe you are right and it led to Butch Davis going gentle into the good night
RGV Pony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:

Wasn't UNC hit for something very similar to what they have under investigation now 5-10 years ago? I know they got basically nothing for the football investigations or the prior NCAA one.

It is irrelavent as the NCAA restructured their punishments for infractions around 3 years ago.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Need to wait the full 14 days, then appeal, that gets us further along into March and increases the chances that this season will not be affected. Hopefully, they have given this message to the players so they are not freaking out. Let them know this season is not in jeopardy.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:30 pm

shadowman wrote:Need to wait the full 14 days, then appeal, that gets us further along into March and increases the chances that this season will not be affected. Hopefully, they have given this message to the players so they are not freaking out. Let them know this season is not in jeopardy.

Agree 100%
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:52 pm

This will be a whole new committee with a new set of eyes to conduct the appellate hearing. For that reason alone-it might be worth the appeal-but generally they are required to accept the facts found by the lower committee as true.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Even if the facts remain the same can they rule on whether or not the punishment was too harsh?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby docabel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Stallion wrote:This will be a whole new committee with a new set of eyes to conduct the appellate hearing. For that reason alone-it might be worth the appeal-but generally they are required to accept the facts found by the lower committee as true.

If this is "really" true then there is NO explanation as to how penn state got completely off the hook since there has been nothing to contradict what the initial committee found
docabel
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:10 pm

You forget, it is the NCAA they play by two sets of rules.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:14 pm

I don't think the Committee found anything on Penn St. because NCAA investigation was impeded by ongoing criminal investigation assertions of 5th Amendment privilege by accused. I believe that case was a negotiated settlement where the NCAA simply accepted Penn St.'s private investigation report and self imposed sanctions. The State then questioned in Court the power of the university President to waive Sovereign immunity on behalf of the State-and further agreed alterations were made in the sanctions
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby ponyte » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:17 pm

One could expect nothing less from the NCAA. SMU and all smaller schools will receive out of proportion penalties as compared to the Big Boys.
ponyte

Postby smusportspage » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:18 pm

I forgot, if I ever knew, what were the Penn State self imposed sanctions again?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Stallion you kind of hit the nail on the head. State Universities, we'll agree to whatever you want, but if you hit us too hard, oops we never waived sovereign immunity. Private Universities, thank you sir, may I have another.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:31 pm

smusportspage wrote:I forgot, if I ever knew, what were the Penn State self imposed sanctions again?

can't remember exactly but I think it was a fine of about 60 Million? Maybe 100 Million, and 45-50 lost scholarships and 2-3 years no bowl

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball