PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Devon Pearson To Fla Final 4

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Devon Pearson To Fla Final 4

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:26 pm

...finding out info on Pearson hasn't been easy but lately there has been some more info. Northwestern started slowly this year but has played well over the last month or so and is 22-8 but they seem to play a top flight schedule full of national and regional tournaments against top competition. Northwestern scores generally appear to be in the 50-60 range so they don't appear to play an up and down game. PPG therefore might be deceptive. They have won their first two playoff games and head to the Florida 6A Final 4 this weekend. Pearson in the latest game had 16 points and his 8 3rd quarter points were apparently very inmportant in turning the tide of the game. About a month ago Northwestern played in a Exhibition Tournament including the No. 2 Team in the Nation Columbus Brookhaven. Northwestern fell far behind but apparently Pearson led a furious comeback since they only lost by 2 and Pearson had a tremendous 25 points and something like 11 rebounds against the No. 2 Team in the nation. Dillard who they will play in the first round of the Final 4 is 30-1 and going for their 4th straight 6A Title. One scout commenting on that game said Mike Dement may have pulled the wool over the recruiting world's eye's by getting Pearson. Now that he is in the Final Four maybe we'll be able to get more info. But apparently Dillard dominates the press down there. I another top tournament in December Pearson had 21 points and 13 points but his team was soundly defeated. Again those numbers are impressive in that his team only scored in the mid 50s. I've seen stories on several games and they have never gotten to even the 70s.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 03-13-2003).]

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Devon Pearson To Fla Final 4

Postby abezontar » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:01 pm

Is he another Damon and Jeryl, or more like Q?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:16 pm

He is none of these. He was originally listed as 6"8" but he is closer to 6'6" and is playing power forward. He had a miserable appearance here in Dallas in December but has really picked it up since then. Stallion is right about his scoring but most of the reports I am getting are raving about his rebounding.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby PX » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abezontar:
<B>Is he another Damon and Jeryl, or more like Q?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of the above. Pearson is a short post player. He handles the ball, and shoots from the perimeter once in awhile, but his real game is in the post. Strong kid, about 6'6", can really jump. Kind of a bull inside. I wouldnt compare him to any of the guys you mentioned, he would never be your primary ball handler. If he was, its a problem.
PX
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:36 pm

yeah he's a Bull since that's their mascot but I agree it doesn't appear that he is a polished offensive machine who will dominate a game with his scoring but you know that's hard to determine when you play on a team that averages in the 50s. Hopefully with that kind of team he has developed solid defensive skills. Sounds more like the Tim Mason kid in the early 1990s also from Fla. that just keep getting better and better and better until he was a solid player. His breakout games against good competition are significant though. He's had other games with like 12 points and 8 rebounds but again playing in a slow down offense it wouldn't be fair to compare him to kids who get up and down the court.

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:39 pm

Sounds like a Bryant Stith type, of U. Virginia and D. Nuggets fame. Good enough for me!
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby PX » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:00 pm

Mason was taller and lighter than Pearson, and had a better jump shot. Pearson is stronger than Tim was at that age.
I'm not basing any of this on his statistics, I've seen him play several times. Not just with his high school team, but also with his summer league team and when he played pick-up with our players during his recruiting visit. He's a different kind of players than what we've had at the forward spots the last few years. He likes to get the ball with his back to the basket, drop a shoulder and go in hard. He can play facing the basket, but his real game is body to body. I've seen him take a few 3-point shots, but he prefers to shoot from 3 feet in. He may play a few minutes at the 3 next year, because its going to take more than just one guy to fill the vacuum when Q graduates, but he's really a 4 with a little outside game. He wont ever be the guy who brings the ball up the court to start the offense, he's much more effective off the ball.
PX
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:15 pm

Mason wasn't taller than 6-6 was he? Mason wasn't much to look at in his early years but he improved his strength and game over his career tremendously. I agree he appears to be unlike other kids that size we've signed in the past which is great because it will give us another dimension rather than an Isham twin. Pearson might be able to help us with strength on the inside especially rebounding which might be a nice complement to Simpson and Castro. Sometimes you get lucky with those 6-6 strong inside players and they grow to 6-8 studs. That would be just what the Doctor ordered as you see this team developing in the coming years.

Stallion

Postby Pony4Life » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:49 pm

If memory serves, Mason was more of a perimeter guy. By the time he was a senior, he was quite a 3-point shooter. This guy sounds like .... I can't remember his name, but he was a short, thick inside guy for Oklahoma State maybe 6-8 years ago. Can anyone remember who I'm talking about?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:40 pm

As you guys are describing Pearson and his game, sounds more like Larry Davis than anyone that has played for SMU since Davis. True?
Charleston Pony

Postby PX » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:53 pm

Mason was an inch or so taller. He was broad in the shoulders, but not filled out the way Pearson is, not at that age.
Judging just from his upper body development and facial hair, Pearson looks like he has already gone through the hormonal changes that signal the closing of the growth plates in your bones. I could be wrong, but I dont think he will be getting much taller.
He's a strong kid, like you said in your other post, he muscles guys around inside. Very good rebounder. If I had to compare him to anyone our fans might recognize, it would be David Shelton, the forward who played at Tulsa a couple of years ago. Similar size and style of play.
PX
Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:37 pm

Where have you seen him play?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:49 pm

They played in a tournament here last December....I believe it was in Garland.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PX » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:08 pm

I think I said this already, but I saw him play this past summer with his summer league team at the Peach Jam in Atlanta, when he came for his recruiting visit he played pick-up with our players, then his high school played in a tournament here in Dallas this past December.
PX
Varsity

Return to Basketball