PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eric Castro

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eric Castro

Postby WildHorse » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:59 pm

What's happened to EC? He sat most of the LaTech game (although to be fair, the seniors were playing pretty well in their farewell game) and then he was not very effective today. Not a big deal, since we won, but we'll need him tomorrow against Nevada. Any insight?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Eric Castro

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:11 pm

If you were at the game last Saturday night it was obvious he got into Dement's doghouse again. Dement has ridden him hard all year and Eric had his head down at the end of the game. I felt sorry for him
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:13 pm

Is he in the doghouse? Or was he just the victim (against LaTech) of being on the bench because Jibran and even Nigel Smith were playing well?

I'm not nearly as worried about Castro as I am about Isham's shot selection today. He was heaving prayers. At least he played good defense.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PX » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:31 pm

Isham and Hopkins both need to pick their shots a little more carefully. I also didnt think that just 1 field goal from our bench, and that from a guy who has hardly played at all this year, looked very good, either.

I have a better question, though. Where is Voc Atkins? Castro didnt see the ball too often, but at least he was on the court for 24 minutes. Voc isnt even in the box score. All the walk ons got to play at the end of the game. Is Voc hurt?
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:37 pm

PX, I was just about to post the same thing.
I am not sure what the deal is with Voc either. Not that he does much from the bench anyway. Isham was waaaaay off today...very sloppy shots...he usually makes better decisions. I just didn't see much teamwork overall like the La Tech game. Castro and Simpson seems to like to work with each other and pass.

Castro has kinda disappeared lately but guys aren't really getting him the ball either...he seems to be in good post position a lot of times. Not sure what is up there.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:53 pm

Voc was in street clothes today, along with the likes of Alex Craft and Duke Biggers.
I watched the game with PK, and he said (I think) that Voc is sick.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:01 pm

The radio network said that Voc was having back problems.

Q really stepped it up today, with BHop and Isham having horrible games offensively.

Not having Voc is going to hurt us at the end of the game on Friday if the game is close because BHop will get really worn out at some point. Hopefully Bryan can turn it around and settle down for the next game in the tourney.

The bench did not produce a lot of points, but they rebounded well and defended well. We got more minutes out of the bench today than we normally do, and that bodes will going on in the tourney.
JasonB

Postby Pony4Life » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:07 pm

Hop's shot selection didn't bother me nearly as much as Isham's. For Hopkins, it looked like one of those days when his shots just weren't falling - all players go through days like that. But Isham threw up some really questionable bombs. That turnaround fall-away he tossed up from the corner (in double coverage, no less) made me want to pull him from the game myself.

It would be nice to have Voc back, but Bobby Aitkenhead can spell Hopkins if needed. I'm not saying put the ball in his hands in the last minute of a tie game, but he has shown in his limited time that he's capable of at least keeping the team on course.

Getting Isham squared away is much more vital. Hope it was just a bad night for him.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:21 pm

At the LA Tech game, it looked like Kelley and Smith were getting a lot of PT because it was senior night and the game was over before halftime. I wouldn't read too much into that game...
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:02 pm

Did Nigel play at all yesterday?
Maybe he and Kelley should have gotten more PT.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby PK » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:19 pm

In the DMN report this morning, they said Voc was having problems with back spasms. I would assume that if that clears up, he will be able to play again.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Basketball