PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Keith Frazier

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Keith Frazier

Postby Top Twenty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Notwithstanding our possible forthcoming forfeiture of wins, he was eligible in the first place, in both our eyes and the NCAA's. He struggled at the end of the first semester last year, resulting in his not being able to play, but he regained his eligibility over the summer. The guy has really hung with it, and he has fought his way back.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 pm

smupony94 wrote:The [deleted] thing is the players didn't want food or drinks as that's against NCAA regs

Wow, that is messed up. That is just silly and the NCAA is to blame.It was hot and they could not even accept something to drink....say a bottled water. NCAA is truly a freak show.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 pm

So we are saying Keith knew nothing about the cheating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Keith's towel is innocent
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:45 pm

smupony94 wrote:Keith's towel is innocent

Until they gove towlie a drug test... "wanna get banned???"
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:So we are saying Keith knew nothing about the cheating?

He immediately asked to report it to compliance once he found out, so that would suggest "no, he did not".
JasonB

Postby Dutch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 pm

smusportspage wrote:
smupony94 wrote:The [deleted] thing is the players didn't want food or drinks as that's against NCAA regs

Wow, that is messed up. That is just silly and the NCAA is to blame.It was hot and they could not even accept something to drink....say a bottled water. NCAA is truly a freak show.

Right. But what got Larry in trouble at KU - paying for a student athlete to go home to visit a sick family member, is now not only not against the rules, but permissible if the school pays. Not unlike when SMU payed for Markus to go visit his mom before her military deployment a couple years ago.

So party of why LB is being punished -being a repeat offender - is now permissible by new standards.

Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:40 pm

smupony94 wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:
smupony94 wrote:Image

You are the [Deleted] for repeatadly posting this.

Any words on morale in the program?

Well on Saturday it was we are going to conquer the world. Hope it's the same today

Yes I am in that pic

Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:32 pm

I don't believe a single word out of SMU. I'm sorry. Keith had to pass a class online and was unaware that someone entirely of their own volition chose to complete for his without his knowledge? Am I missing something.

When are we going to admit what happened was cheating?

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 am

So it isn't plausible that a kid was told to register for an online course, was told that the course had to be completed by the end of the summer, went and played basketball all summer (we know he wasn't a great student), then decided it was time to cram for the course and was told by the admin she did everything for him?

Keith was granted full immunity by SMU and by the NCAA. There is no reason for him to deceive after he reported the violation initially.

The NCAA report infers that they believe Ulrich acted on his own and told the secretary to take the tests for Keith and encouraged Keith to sign up for the class. However, because the secretary stopped talking to the NCAA, they could not prove it.

The NCAA does not accuse Brown of knowing anything of what was going on. But, it does say he is guilty because he purposely stuck his head in the sand and "trusted" the people around him to follow the rules. Which is the new NCAA policy and I think it is the right stance for them to take.

The report also makes it clear that Brown is babysitting the team from an academic standpoint. I think Brown doesn't want to babysit his assistant coaches. Which is fine, as long as they stay clean. I don't think he is putting his head in the stand so that they have an opportunity to cheat. I think he is just treating them as adults and trusting them at their word.

The biggest problem I have is that the University is making the lone wolf claim when I think nobody believes it. So everyone is going to put a lot of blame and hate towards LB instead of Ulrich who is ultimately responsible (IMHO).
JasonB

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 am

I take your points but to be honest I don't buy it. It doesn't appear to me like we have told the truth (and by that I mean the whole truth) and I am ashamed of the program as a result. I think the sanctions are heavy handed and punish the wrong people but I am appalled at what SMU has done.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Keith Frazier

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:27 am

Dutch wrote:
smusportspage wrote:

Right. But what got Larry in trouble at KU - paying for a student athlete to go home to visit a sick family member, is now not only not against the rules, but permissible if the school pays. Not unlike when SMU payed for Markus to go visit his mom before her military deployment a couple years ago.

So party of why LB is being punished -being a repeat offender - is now permissible by new standards.

You realize with the stipends now in place, what we did to get the DP for the most part is now also permissible. We should be acknowledged as a trend setter ahead of our time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smusportspage » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 am

Mustangsabu wrote:I take your points but to be honest I don't buy it. It doesn't appear to me like we have told the truth (and by that I mean the whole truth) and I am ashamed of the program as a result. I think the sanctions are heavy handed and punish the wrong people but I am appalled at what SMU has done.

You do realize that all of this was self reported to begin with?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 am

Mustangsabu wrote:I don't believe a single word out of SMU. I'm sorry. Keith had to pass a class online and was unaware that someone entirely of their own volition chose to complete for his without his knowledge? Am I missing something.

When are we going to admit what happened was cheating?

I feel like almost everyone I have seen post and the school officials themselves have acknowledged that it was cheating and people just think the punishment did not fit the crime. Who is "we" in your last sentence?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:20 am

Here's what's going to happen:

1 - We appeal, thus delaying the post season ban for this year (LB still sits, which will only help in the long run, and we lose schollies which REALLY sucks).

2 - Keith has the season of his career. Taking out all his frustrations, but now matured and with a higher bball IQ, becomes our leading scorer. MK and Nic remain MK and Nic. Shake proves to be the real deal.

3 - Once Semi gets on the court and LB is back in the chair, we take the AAC by storm and march into the Sweet 16 (and lose a heartbreaker there - can't be TOO successful or the NCAA will find some other BS to punish us with after all).

4 - Our appeal lifts the postseason ban (we still lose the schollies, which again really sucks, and LB has already sat out). So 2016 recruiting gets hurt (maybe next season we don't make the tourney), but 2017 we land a big fish or 2 and move on.

Bottom line is that the ONLY justifiable punishment that any reasonable person could accept in this situation is LB sitting because of the new rules reading head coaches (which is still arguably stupid as we fired the person who violated the rules and the assistant who was also allegedly involved). Loss of schollies is stupid since it didn't impact Keith's eligibility or enrollment ultimately and post season ban is absofreakingly ridiculously excessive and any rational person sees it the same way!
Last edited by ojaipony on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball