PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Appeal timeline

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Appeal timeline

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:51 am

Dutch wrote:
Junior wrote:based upon this timeline above, the dates would be as follows:

9/29/15
10/14/15
11/13/15
11/27/15
12/27/15
1/26/16

and lets just assume

does ANYONE work the week of thanksgiving? how about the week between Christmas Eve and New Years Day, especial people that work at institutes of higher learning when that's their break.

the appeals committee seems very smart/well educated, and other than the lady at UT, the other 4 are small/private school types. all with other jobs. other than Syracuse, what other appeals are currently pending? anyone know?

Also, keep in mind that the guidelines suggest an 8 week investigation timeline, but this one took 10. And this is the first time the new process has been put into place, so there will be inefficiencies. And there are several other schools being investigated, so keeping up with the timeline seems to be a bit optimistic.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:52 am

okcponyfan wrote:Just thinking about the appeal.

Lets say we win the appeal and the postseason ban is next year not this year.

Could SMU just redshirt its entire team and play 10 walk-ons next year?

Our top players have already used their year via transfer. You would be accomplishing the same thing that no post season this year would by denying them the right to play.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonySnob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

Dutch wrote:junior, using those numbers i get 119 days = 17 weeks, referencing this article, 'cuse was handed down their sanctions on 3/6/15, and filed appeal on 3/21/15

that means that Syracuse, by that schedule, would have had their appeal wrapped up on JULY 18, 2015. it is now 10.5 weeks later and they still have not gotten a result. SO, lets just say they get their answer by saturday (doubtful) and it took 11 extra weeks to come to a conclusion, that means it took them 30 weeks. if we file on the 14th of october and it takes 30 weeks, that's May 11. we only need to stretch it to 25 weeks which is 2 days after the championship game.

Guessing the NCAA will find a way to speed up the appeal process for SMU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:54 am

PonySnob wrote:
Dutch wrote:junior, using those numbers i get 119 days = 17 weeks, referencing this article, 'cuse was handed down their sanctions on 3/6/15, and filed appeal on 3/21/15

that means that Syracuse, by that schedule, would have had their appeal wrapped up on JULY 18, 2015. it is now 10.5 weeks later and they still have not gotten a result. SO, lets just say they get their answer by saturday (doubtful) and it took 11 extra weeks to come to a conclusion, that means it took them 30 weeks. if we file on the 14th of october and it takes 30 weeks, that's May 11. we only need to stretch it to 25 weeks which is 2 days after the championship game.

They at least owe us that much! :wink:
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:17 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
PonySnob wrote:

They at least owe us that much! :wink:

This is a rare instance where we want them to be slow. If we win, anytime is fine, but if we lose we need that decision in April at the earliest.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:18 am

If we appeal, no way I see us getting banned this postseason. The NCAA hater backlash has already been pretty severe, but then to let these kids play, win, and become a tourney story, justo yank it away in late Feb or March, is just bad pr form. they'd be vilified by everyone as being anti student athlete etc.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:20 am

I could see them saying "if it was any school but smu we would certainly reconsider the sanctions. But SMUs track record is so egregious, combined with the responsibility that must be assumed by the head coach and his prior transgressions, we have no choice but to set an example that there is simply no tolerance for academic fraud. "
RGV Pony

Postby skyscraper » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 am

There's no drawback to appealing, IMO.
We appeal, we should push it back past March and get our seniors a chance to go dancing again.
If the NCAA does stay firm to its timeline and deny us in February, the uproar would be unreal and we become America's darlings - and there's no postseason ban for 16-17 when we'd go on a scorched earth F-everyone rampage through the schedule.
skyscraper

Postby Dutch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 am

hoopmanx wrote:If we appeal, no way I see us getting banned this postseason. The NCAA hater backlash has already been pretty severe, but then to let these kids play, win, and become a tourney story, justo yank it away in late Feb or March, is just bad pr form. they'd be vilified by everyone as being anti student athlete etc.

exactly. and internally, they know that even if they didn't like it, it would be a story, just like we made headlines for the snub in '14 then burned through the NIT. and we made headlines when we FINALLY made it last year only to get screwed on a botched call (not that it should have come down to one play). SMU makes news, news gets attention, attention gets people watching games/teams they may otherwise not, and bottom line, that means $ to the NCAA, they may not like us, but they're not dumb when it comes to their pocketbook.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Dutch wrote:
Junior wrote:based upon this timeline above, the dates would be as follows:

9/29/15
10/14/15
11/13/15
11/27/15
12/27/15
1/26/16

and lets just assume

does ANYONE work the week of thanksgiving? how about the week between Christmas Eve and New Years Day, especial people that work at institutes of higher learning when that's their break.

the appeals committee seems very smart/well educated, and other than the lady at UT, the other 4 are small/private school types. all with other jobs. other than Syracuse, what other appeals are currently pending? anyone know?

i wasn't disagreeing. i was just laying it out as a starting point to see how much the holidays would most likely impact the schedule. if you look at my post right before the timeline, i say it should easily stretch into March. i don't think there's any way they meeting the strict "timeline" dates.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 pm

If we are looking likely to make the tourney then they will move fast to keep the ban in place. If we are looking likely to miss it then they will move slow so the ban ends up being in place for the next year.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 pm

We can also choose to only appeal certain parts which is what is likely. We will appeal post season and also appeal total scholarship reduction. Larry will sit out first 9 of this season either way.
gostangs

Postby ponydawg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:25 pm

If that is the case, Larry will miss Indiana and Michigan. Will be interesting to see Jank in action when he knows its all him.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:37 pm

gostangs wrote:We can also choose to only appeal certain parts which is what is likely. We will appeal post season and also appeal total scholarship reduction. Larry will sit out first 9 of this season either way.

Just 9 games, right? Is there anything that states it has to be consecutive or at the start of the season?
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Syracuse appealed 7 months ago and still has not had a hearing per ESPN. They were saying if SMU made an appeal they would probably have a chance for the senior to play in the tournament if things go as long as the Syracuse appeal.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball