PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thursday was a big one - Saturday could be the biggest ever

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thursday was a big one - Saturday could be the biggest ever

Postby NCPony » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:46 pm

You can't look at scoring as the primary stat for a PG. It would be better to look at a bunch of factors and what is needed on a team. Blake gets the ball to the right players at the right time, and, like CO81 mentioned, can score when the team needs it. He helps makes Maryland a lot better.

This is not to say that Rid does not make Oregon the best they can be. But comparing point guards based on only scoring doesn't work.

Dement has had enough time to implement his system and build his recruiting ties in Texas and it's not working. 8 Years and only one poor NIT showing out of a weak conference: what's so AMAZING about that?

Nothing. Cut our losses and find a new coach like UCLA is doing with Lavin after 7 years. There are some good coaches out there we could at least try talking to like Lon Kruger, Lavin, possibly Matt Doherty, some guy named Harrick.
JOKES! Those are jokes.
Seriously, Dement might be a great guy and a good coach but it's time to cut the line and let him go.
NCPony

Postby BTPony » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:05 pm

Lavin's firing demonstrates a "COMMITMENT" to winning. We'd be dancing in the streets if SMU had UCLA's record over the past 7 years.

We've lowered our expectations such that mediocrity is acceptable. It's a sad day!

PS: No comments Stallion, our team play was well below our POTENTIAL (this year). Nobody's fault but the coach.
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Pony Fan » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:47 pm

I agree with you that we accept medicrity and have no commitment to winning big time. And we all sit and wonder why we did not get in to Conference USA or any other decent conference....not enough support, no winning programs except soccer and the country club sports, no real commitment by the administration, no real effort on the administration's part to do anything about the above comments. HOPEFULLY, we can start getting some people back with some football wins. We are not going to get it back with basketball.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:19 pm

"our play was well below our potential" -according to who -you- I thought we were picked for 6th in the WAC and finished tied for third. Where should we have finished?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BTPony » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:34 pm

Stallion,
We finished 2nd in the WAC in terms of tournament seeding. We should have been in the finals. If criteria for success is living up to pre-season polls then your opinion means squat! We earned a higher seed than Nevada and failed to deliver in the end. They're playing (were playing) in the NIT and we're not. It's astonishing to me that you see this year as a success given our potential for post season play at the end of the year. Forget about your paper logic and look at reality.
BTPony
Recruit

Postby OldPony » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:38 pm

I think people should give the new coach hire a rest. Dement will be our coach next year. While I agree that he had his most talented team this year, most of that talent was very young. For the last half of SMU's season, the Ponies were 11-5. That shows tremendous improvement (they were 6-7 for the first half)as these players bought into Dement's philosophy and learned to execute it better. I expect much next year. If not, then is the time to start this discussion.
OldPony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball