PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Alum letter to Turner

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Alum letter to Turner

Postby Topper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:
gostangs wrote:Bob is missing some key facts. How can he be informed and say he is not sure if TCU is better academically.? As poor as our team currently is in football, we are closer to them in football than they are to us academically. The SAT average difference is staggering.

I will take 3-4 yrs of athletics fun followed by 2 yrs of no fun every time vs multiple yrs of medicroity. If that is the trade off we have to make then fine by me.

Emory?? That is your target school Bob? Most of the country has never heard of them and never will. You couldn't be more clueless, and I am ashamed you are an alumnus.

By the way, is getting an MBA in one year after you graduate even possible? I call BS.

Lol, how the hell have you not heard of Emory? Top 20 school easily. SMU should be looking to emulate them.

And btw, we are not ranked that much higher than TCU. As per US News, SMU is #61 (tied with Clemson, Purdue, Georgia, Syracuse) and TCU is #82. Last I checked, their business school was on par with the great Cox School of Business.

I recently read in the Economist that TCUs MBAs are starting out at higher pay than Cox grads. I suspect the Barnett Shale had something to do with that but the Barnett is not the factor it used to be. If I am right the starting pay for Frogs will recede.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby NastyStang » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm

skyscraper wrote:I had to restrain myself from answering on facebook.
So much idiocy

Right there with you - yes its been a bad week, but bailing on D1 sports kills the school.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I haven't posted on PF in a while, but I am completely on board with shipping Bob to Canada.

I understand we are supposed to respect the opinion of others (especially other SMU alums), but Bob just committed [deleted] Pony Treason.

Edit: Better yet. Do you think Eastern Washington would take him?
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Probably a June or Copeland lover
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Footballdad's lover
smupony94

Postby Dutch » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:35 pm

NastyStang wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I had to restrain myself from answering on facebook.
So much idiocy

Right there with you - yes its been a bad week, but bailing on D1 sports kills the school.

agreed. And frankly, your life/career has been an utter failure if you are worried about the "value of your degree" nearly 35 years after graduating. Your worth/value int he job force (the only need for 'degree value') should come from what you've done with your life post graduation. If that doesn't stand on its own merit, you have much bigger problems than basketball and golf violations at your former school.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

What's annoying is that we all saw that post and it's out there now. The views of one deranged graduate. Awesome.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Dutch » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:46 pm

click on the drop down arrow on the top right of the post. click report to admin. maybe we can get someone from SMU to remove it with enough reports. it's not in violation of FB policy so they won't remove it, but whoever runs the SMU ALUMNI WORLDWIDE facebook page can.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:What's annoying is that we all saw that post and it's out there now. The views of one deranged graduate. Awesome.

Did you read the comments? There is more than one deranged idiot.

It is sad to see that these intellectual dignitaries with their valued degrees can't see there is a correlation between increased applications and big time college athletics.

Austin College is an excellent school, but outside of North Texas no one has heard of it. Sure, we have received from bad publicity due to our athletics program, but there is no substitute that is anywhere near the value for brand recognition than to be on national TV twice a week during basketball season or even 8-10 times a year during football season. Is it worse to have to deal with some bad PR every once in a while or to never be thought of at all?
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:08 pm

SMU1523 wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:What's annoying is that we all saw that post and it's out there now. The views of one deranged graduate. Awesome.

It is sad to see that these intellectual dignitaries with their valued degrees can't see there is a correlation between increased applications and big time college athletics.

Austin College is an excellent school, but outside of North Texas no one has heard of it. Sure, we have received from bad publicity due to our athletics program, but there is no substitute that is anywhere near the value for brand recognition than to be on national TV twice a week during basketball season or even 8-10 times a year during football season. Is it worse to have to deal with some bad PR every once in a while or to never be thought of at all?

I knew what would happen if I read the comments, so I made a point not to. Thankfully the idea won't go anywhere, but wow.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Pony64 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm

PonySnob wrote:Interesting letter sent to worldwide Facebook group for SMU by Bob King:

The text of my letter to President Turner follows. I think it's time SMU alums quit jonesing for a win over TCU and start to worry about the national perception of our degrees.

I love college athletics, and I never thought I would arrive at the conclusion that it is time for SMU to drop D1 athletics. But the reputation of our academic credentials is increasingly at stake.

I don't expect many to agree, and in fact I expect a lot to belittle this opinion. But this point of view must be considered. If the only people who Mr. Turner listens to are the big dollar donors with suites at Ford Stadium or at Moody Coliseum, our sheepskins become less and less valuable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear President Turner,

This will be as brief as I am capable of being because you have better things to do than to read long letters from alums who are not major donors.

Proud though I am of my SMU degrees, I am beyond weary of the need to defend my alma mater’s reputation. The predominant impression of SMU around the country is not about superior academics. It is that we put athletics first, cannot stop ourselves from cheating, and are nonetheless unsuccessful. After finally becoming athletically relevant in something, this latest fiasco reinforces the idea everywhere that SMU is synonymous with NCAA scandal.

The tempting defense that the NCAA enforces the rules selectively is not helpful. Even if it is true that others have behaved worse yet received lesser punishment (and I believe that is an undeniable fact), such arguments fail to defend the value of my SMU degrees. Falling back on that argument, in fact, devalues it further.

This latest debacle should tell us two things: first, we still can't win at the D1 level without cheating; and second, we are not the kind of program that the NCAA will allow to cheat and get away with it. Rather than cite the injustice and spend decades fighting a losing battle, why don’t we admit that, for whatever reasons, we can’t be competitive in D1 sports with integrity? It’s just a fact that is increasingly obvious to everybody outside of University Park.

I would be prouder of SMU (and probably contribute more to the university) if we withdrew from D1 sports and reinvested all that energy into making SMU academically comparable to Vanderbilt or Tulane or Emory. In 1979 I turned down a full scholarship at TCU to attend SMU with minimal scholarship support. Why? Because SMU was, then, so obviously a better school than TCU. I’m not sure we can say the same thing now.

This is just one alum’s opinion, but I would rather we focus on making SMU a leaps and bounds better academic institution than TCU than spend all that energy trying to beat the Frogs on the playing field. Thirty years of fighting this losing battle is enough.

Sincerely,

Bob King
BA '82, MBA '83

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He should have gone to TCU.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Revenge of the Nerds Part II

hope the Nerd don't win this time-because that's a real [deleted]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 am

smupony94 wrote:Footballdad's lover

Could you imagine the SMU hate pillow talk?!
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 am

Dutch wrote:And frankly, your life/career has been an utter failure if you are worried about the "value of your degree" nearly 35 years after graduating. Your worth/value int he job force (the only need for 'degree value') should come from what you've done with your life post graduation. If that doesn't stand on its own merit, you have much bigger problems than basketball and golf violations at your former school.

Definitely failing in life.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby footballdad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:20 am

PerunasHoof wrote:
SMU1523 wrote:

I knew what would happen if I read the comments, so I made a point not to. Thankfully the idea won't go anywhere, but wow.

Like the kid who puts his hands over his ears and screams La,La,La,La,La,La......and stomps his feet.

Funny how everyone attacks this SMU ALUM, when many on this board were calling for the football program to be shut down not all that long ago. How quickly we forget.

This guy is just saying what a lot of other SMU alumni, students, and faculty are already thinking. Why have any sports programs when they end up embarrassing us, and at the end of the day we don't really care about them anyways. (check attendance this weekend)
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball