PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From someone who was there

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

From someone who was there

Postby Hoss » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:20 pm

I was glad to play hooky yesterday to go watch my Ponies play.

Quinton Ross was sensational. He looked like he could have played a doubleheader, he was so energetic. He shot very well, especially from behind the 3-point line, but I thought he was even more impressive with his passing and defense. He's a fantastic player.

Patrick Simpson was strong, but in spurts. When he puts together a full 40 minutes, he's going to present a lot of problems for opponents. He's very long and shoots pretty well - I wish he got a little more lift in his legs on his jumper. Those long arms are great on defense -- he altered a lot of Boise shots.

Not sure what Justin Isham was thinking out there. He forced tough shots, and bypassed a couple of easy looks. I don't know if it was a confidence thing, or if he's confused, or what. At least he didn't let his offensive struggles carry over to his effort on defense. He was very active on the defensive end.

Hopkins looked hot and cold, but it's clear he's going to be a terrific player before he's through at SMU. I've read all year on ths board that he's not quite healthy, and when I was watching yesterday, it struck me that there are a lot of guards out there who would love to play like he does when healthy, much less when injured. He looks like a guard who could dominate a game, which I guess he'll have to do next year.

I'll post my view of tonight's game either late tonight or tomorrow.
GO PONIES!
Hoss
All-American

Return to Basketball