PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nevada game thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nevada game thoughts

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:26 pm

1. Castro MUST play better. Ellis got 15 pts and 14 boards. Castro had 5 TO's. I'd like to see us start of the game well and get him involved.

2. Hopkins needs to control offense obviously. My worries are they will hound him like BS did and he'll TO again. Zero assists from a PG is NOT GOOD.

3. Like all year, 3 pt def, Snyder, Okeson and Green can light it up. but they only hit 4 of 13. Their quickness worries me a bit.

4. Snyder vs Q - Snyder had 25 pts and Q had 29 pts. Whoever wins this might win the game.

5. More assists and passing - BS game was too much of the same ole dribble, dribble. Need back door cuts by Isham...he was 0-7..we need him to contribute.

6. Keep rebounding well...we won the boards 41-33. Simpson had 9 boards and almost a double, double.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Nevada game thoughts

Postby mulletmike » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:03 pm

All points are very solid!

Definately would be nice if Voc can go. It'll help keep us fresh which is important considering our lapses in transition and perimeter defense. Really need to focus on contesting every position and cleaning the glass.

Hop needs to settle down. He's elite athletcially but doesn't have the PG mentality. More a lead guard. He needs to get us in our sets quicker and more consistently. Less 1on 1 and 3 bombs, more attention to detail.

It's all about defense and offensive execution. Of course, we'll have to hit some shots, but we need to get easy looks first.

Isham needs to get easy looks by being active in and around the rack. Best way to kickstart him.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:18 pm

Who do you think will cover Q, Snyder or Hill-Thomas? It looks like Simpson will have a mismatch either way, so he could be a key to getting us off to an early start. Hopefully he will start off like he did yesterday (and then of course maintain that).

Whoever Snyder is guarding, I would hope that we feed him the ball. Getting him in foul trouble would be a huge plus.

On defense, I sure hope we play very little zone. This team has killed us in both games that we played them this year from 3-point land. We need to get up in there face and contest those outside shots.

I'm just not sure how this game is going to go, although I do think it will be close. If B-Hop gets rid of those freshman jitters, relaxes, and plays a solid game with only a couple of turnovers, that could be the difference.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Nacho » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:32 pm

Nevada has 4 jucos. Could be trouble based on the Stallion Juco-0-meter. Nevada favored by 4. For professionals this is the opportunity of a lifetime. I am out. I don't know what I am out of but I am out.
Nacho

Postby ponyte » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:52 pm

We started off well ahead of Nevada last time we played. Then we went cold as ice and didn't defend the 3-pointer well. We can play with this team and we can beat this team. Better defense and a consistent offense will go a long way. We are the hot team right now with a win streak and some big and important wins down the stretch.

In addition, we have not had a week off before this game. Our last 2 games had about a week between previous games. We will be a little looser to start. And being an underdog gives us nothing to lose.
ponyte

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:12 pm

Snyder and Q might come out as a wash -- in which case the game will be decided by the likes of Hopkins, Isham, Simpson and Castro. Based on yesterday, that makes tonight's game .... interesting, to say the least.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Basketball