PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why SMU did not fire LB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why SMU did not fire LB

Postby BenW » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:09 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:The MAJOR issue not many are talking about it the possibility of transfers tanking our APR. That could result in a second post season ban.

As long as they are in proper academic standing when they transfer, it won't hurt your APR.
BenW
Recruit

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 am

Bottom line is that we frequently get into trouble over kids who are marginal and/or who are not academic qualifiers. There were big battles on this board a few year back when JJ kept trying to sneak in kids who were not qualifiers and then place the blame on SMU and the fall out from kids not admitted then showing up for summer practice. We could eliminate 80% of our problems by just setting the academic standards for the coaches to understand and then recruit accordingly. Seems like we seldom hear about academic issues with Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, Boston College, Wake Forest which are institutions with whom we should compare. We appear to have the inferiority complex that we need to do anything including the recruitment of academically unqualified kids in order to compete.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:48 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:If Larry goes after this season I have zero faith in Jank to put the pieces back together. Go to SFA with a blank check and bring back Brad Underwood

Jank would run circles around Underwood...wtf? Jank is very well thought of around the country....he is committed to SMU, or at least was until this week.
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:51 am

I sure hope Jank stays. I'm really interested in seeing how he will do if/when he takes over this program.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:06 pm

We will see how Jank does against Michigan and Stanford with a talented SMU team (if nobody has transferred).
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU1523 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 pm

I think Jank will be great. There has been no reason for me to think otherwise just yet.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby ponydawg » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Last Saturday, before the bomb hit, I was talking to Nic and asked him about playing under self.
He said something along the lines of "he's great. But it wasn't new, the way he coached and things he said were just like....jank."

I assumed he was going to say LB.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 am

PoconoPony wrote:Bottom line is that we frequently get into trouble over kids who are marginal and/or who are not academic qualifiers. There were big battles on this board a few year back when JJ kept trying to sneak in kids who were not qualifiers and then place the blame on SMU and the fall out from kids not admitted then showing up for summer practice. We could eliminate 80% of our problems by just setting the academic standards for the coaches to understand and then recruit accordingly. Seems like we seldom hear about academic issues with Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, Boston College, Wake Forest which are institutions with whom we should compare. We appear to have the inferiority complex that we need to do anything including the recruitment of academically unqualified kids in order to compete.

Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford and Northwestern are in a different league academically than SMU. I'm a proud SMU alum but I tire of some of the unrealistic "academic peer" associations I see brought up on this board as they are more often than not wishful thinking. SMU is academically similar to private schools like Tulane, Boston College, Tulsa, BYU and maybe Wake Forrest.
orguy
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 pm

orguy wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Bottom line is that we frequently get into trouble over kids who are marginal and/or who are not academic qualifiers. There were big battles on this board a few year back when JJ kept trying to sneak in kids who were not qualifiers and then place the blame on SMU and the fall out from kids not admitted then showing up for summer practice. We could eliminate 80% of our problems by just setting the academic standards for the coaches to understand and then recruit accordingly. Seems like we seldom hear about academic issues with Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, Boston College, Wake Forest which are institutions with whom we should compare. We appear to have the inferiority complex that we need to do anything including the recruitment of academically unqualified kids in order to compete.

Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford and Northwestern are in a different league academically than SMU. I'm a proud SMU alum but I tire of some of the unrealistic "academic peer" associations I see brought up on this board as they are more often than not wishful thinking. SMU is academically similar to private schools like Tulane, Boston College, Tulsa, BYU and maybe Wake Forrest.

You missed the point. Point is that we must recruit academically qualified kids and still compete.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:44 pm

everybody has to raise their standards this year especially in Basketball-its going to be of less importance from now on.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Junior wrote:RGT is not committed to Shi'ite.

Turner is all in and that is what has kept me going
smupony94

Previous

Return to Basketball