PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone Else?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Anyone Else?

Postby shadowman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Is anyone else mad, slightly upset, even annoyed that we have put ourselves in this position again>

There has been a lot of blame and hate hurled toward the NCAA. We cheated, yet again, I don't really care if Larry knew or not, I don't care if we appeal or not. The bottom line is, we should never have been in this situation.

Yes, plenty of other teams cheat...Much different though from illegal contact from recruits..illegal text messages....

SMU actively cheated by having someone else do course work.

I don't really care that many others have done it, I don't really care that maybe our punishment is too harsh.

Bottom line, we should not have done it.

We need to just own up to the fact that we cheated, and someone else doing coursework is bad...

Cannot blame this on the NCAA or our past, we just did stupid things, and we have to pay for it.

And it makes me mad.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone Else?

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:15 pm

this was amateur hour intentional cheating-the entire mess around Frazier does not smell good to me. Right there with ya
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:17 pm

If you lived near a flagship state school with a huge and highly profitable athletic department, as I do, you see what only an idiot would not recognize as improper benefits being bestowed on scholarship athletes as a fact of life. No one should cheat, but when cheating is permissive for some, but not for the elite, then the environment is a class system with some above the law. "Cheating" is really the norm and is a meaningless term in such a circumstance.. Should it have happened? No. We are a little private school being targeted as an example to help preserve the false image the NCAA wants to project. We know that we are always suspect and yes, I am mad at the people responsible for this mess, but I hate the hypocrisy that permeates the investigation and finger pointing.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:18 pm

No
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby fifty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 pm

We are the permanent beta testers for new and exciting ncaa punishments.
fifty
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Hey the "hate" (aka strong disagreement) thrown out at the NCAA was due to their ridiculous punishments and lack thereof to the big $ schools. All I ask from the NCAA is they rule fairly to ALL. They clearly don't because they themselves cheat the little schools and do these kind of punishments to look like they actually are enforcing the rules. We should appeal the penalties and agree to Larry being 50-75% out and remove the ridiculous post-season ban and scholarships.
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:29 pm

I always advise anyone who subscribes to the purity of the NCAA to read Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Emperor's New Clothes'.

This is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE cheats, so much so that, as Topper alluded to, the word becomes meaningless.

You only have to look at two of the finest public universities in America to understand the severity of it all. The NCAA finds that SMU paid its entire FB team some $61k and gives us the death penalty. Less than a decade later, its discovered that only four U of Michigan BB players were paid some $620k. North Carolina has committed academic fraud for decades to benefit some 1,200 of its athletes.

Now I realize each circumstance is different and SMU was not very sophisticated in its cheating. But to the bigger point, everyone does it.

And less we forget, Hoopmanx warned us before he ever signed that Keith carried a lot of baggage, yet that did not prevent UT (another outstanding academic institution) from being one of his biggest pursuers.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Hard not to be pissed with the new pricing
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMUer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:58 pm

fifty wrote:We are the permanent beta testers for new and exciting ncaa punishments.

Solid
SMUer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Or can we be the face of a new way of thinking. When adversity knocks, so does opportunity...
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby NY Pony » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:42 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:Or can we be the face of a new way of thinking. When adversity knocks, so does opportunity...

Wax on, wax off
NY Pony
All-American

Anyone Else?

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 am

The entire idea of student-athlete is violated by creating majors for the express purpose of having an easy course of study for athletes. And yet everyone does that (including SMU - does anyone believe we would offer APSM without it having been asked for by the coaches?).

That said, the NCAA, whose purpose is to continue the smokescreen, is a total and complete joke.

Their business model is outdated and it's time to replace them with a forward-thinking organization that fits the present day.
CalallenStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:20 am

CalallenStang wrote:The entire idea of student-athlete is violated by creating majors for the express purpose of having an easy course of study for athletes. And yet everyone does that (including SMU - does anyone believe we would offer APSM without it having been asked for by the coaches?).

That said, the NCAA, whose purpose is to continue the smokescreen, is a total and complete joke.

Their business model is outdated and it's time to replace them with a forward-thinking organization that fits the present day.

yeah….like FIFA or the IOC. :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PK » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:25 pm

shadowman wrote:Is anyone else mad, slightly upset, even annoyed that we have put ourselves in this position again>

There has been a lot of blame and hate hurled toward the NCAA. We cheated, yet again, I don't really care if Larry knew or not, I don't care if we appeal or not. The bottom line is, we should never have been in this situation.

Yes, plenty of other teams cheat...Much different though from illegal contact from recruits..illegal text messages....

SMU actively cheated by having someone else do course work.

I don't really care that many others have done it, I don't really care that maybe our punishment is too harsh.

Bottom line, we should not have done it.

We need to just own up to the fact that we cheated, and someone else doing coursework is bad...

Cannot blame this on the NCAA or our past, we just did stupid things, and we have to pay for it.

And it makes me mad.
Not sure I understand this "we cheated" stuff. "We" discovered that someone took it upon themselves to break NCAA rules and "We" reported it and that includes the golf coach's actions. If "we" were cheating, why would "we" report it. "We" have a robust compliance staff in place. Stuff like that is going to happen anywhere. It has probably happened many times at many places and has never seen the light of day. It appears to me that "we" are doing what "we" can to keep these things from happening and when they do "we" react correctly to the situation. That is more than can be said about a lot of universities. I see no reason for embarrassment considering the efforts "We" make to run a clean program.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Someone in the system cheated, and I do not have a problem taking some punishment for that. however, you are correct, we run a very tight ship, we reported the incident, and they dropped the hammer. And therein lies the issue. We're getting nuked for a self-reported single violation, and we took reasonable action in-house. I expected that we lose a scholarship or two (but so many over so long?), I have no issue with LB being suspended for a few games (but 9? really?) and a post season ban? We have to stand up for ourselves and have at least attempt some of these sanctions rolled back.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball