PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Perspective That Made Me Think (and be happy)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A Perspective That Made Me Think (and be happy)

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:19 am

Rebel10 wrote:
texasmustang10 wrote:Agree with this silver linings approach. If we win 25+ games this year, we look great and end the season on a high, while the NCAA looks bad for excluding a top-15 team from the tournament. If an appeal would truly risk postponing our penalty to 2016-2017, I would hate to mortgage our future for a sweet sixteen run, before returning to mediocrity and irrelevance. Let's just kick [deleted] this season, say screw the tournament, and continue building a year-in, year-out competitive program.

Do you realize that if we do not appeal that Nic, MK and possibly even Tolbert could be gone? Also, most of the high level recruits in the 2016 class that SMU was recruiting have committed elsewhere. So if the ban were moved to next year it would not hurt the class as much as you think because the 2016 won't be filled with as much talent as LB probably wanted. They are going to have have a really good 2017 class which won't have a post season ban wither way. Oh, and don't forget we have major recruiting restrictions for some time to come. I am with OBF in that the best thing we can do is make a run in the Big Dance this year.

I thought people have been saying it's too late to transfer and nobody can? Or has something else come out?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:39 am

mustangxc wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Don't see any positives in us playing from an AAC perspective. Every game we are in, the focus becomes us and our infractions; and at any time during the tourney, what if we knock off a bubble team, a very real possibility given how few at-large bids the AAC receives.

Then again we would provide a strong resume win for any team that managed to beat us.

Of course I certainly hope we are allowed to play in the ACC tourney. If this season turns out to be 1981 SMU football redux, I can live with that.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 am

They can transfer to a school that uses the quarter system like UCLA. They can also transfer after the first semester and play immediately.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 am

Rebel10 wrote:They can transfer to a school that uses the quarter system like UCLA. They can also transfer after the first semester and play immediately.

Gotcha, thank you. Can they still transfer if they play a game here this season? Or will we be on pins and needles no matter what until January?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 am

The latter
RGV Pony

Postby Mestengo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 am

Define mojo moody magic:

M M M are you staying or going?
Please don't go.

This one goes out to all the seniors

https://youtu.be/ngnWsPe0mx0
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blunt Pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am

Rebel10 wrote:They can transfer to a school that uses the quarter system like UCLA. They can also transfer after the first semester and play immediately.

Why would Nic or MK transfer at this point? Do you think that playing in the post season is more important than preparing for professional basketball? If I were either of those guys, I would stay put and get in another season under the guidance of a Hall of Fame coach who knows everyone at the next level. Players perspective would have to be "what gives me the best chance to cash a check playing basketball." Would seem like a poor decision to jump ship for what is really a 3-4 month window to play in the NCAA tournament.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Blunt Pony wrote:
Why would Nic or MK transfer at this point? Do you think that playing in the post season is more important than preparing for professional basketball? If I were either of those guys, I would stay put and get in another season under the guidance of a Hall of Fame coach who knows everyone at the next level. Players perspective would have to be "what gives me the best chance to cash a check playing basketball." Would seem like a poor decision to jump ship for what is really a 3-4 month window to play in the NCAA tournament.

Plus, if they were to transfer to a top level school there is no guarantee they would see a lot of playing time. How quickly could they blend in with a totally new team that would be very talented?
redpony

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Right it could in fact hurt their chances for NBA if they transfer and don't jell immediately with new team
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mr. pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
texasmustang10 wrote:Agree with this silver linings approach. If we win 25+ games this year, we look great and end the season on a high, while the NCAA looks bad for excluding a top-15 team from the tournament. If an appeal would truly risk postponing our penalty to 2016-2017, I would hate to mortgage our future for a sweet sixteen run, before returning to mediocrity and irrelevance. Let's just kick [deleted] this season, say screw the tournament, and continue building a year-in, year-out competitive program.

Do you realize that if we do not appeal that Nic, MK and possibly even Tolbert could be gone? Also, most of the high level recruits in the 2016 class that SMU was recruiting have committed elsewhere. So if the ban were moved to next year it would not hurt the class as much as you think because the 2016 won't be filled with as much talent as LB probably wanted. They are going to have have a really good 2017 class which won't have a post season ban wither way. Oh, and don't forget we have major recruiting restrictions for some time to come. I am with OBF in that the best thing we can do is make a run in the Big Dance this year.

I agree. There's a lot of loser talk here.
APPEAL THIS SOB - NOW!!!!!
AND WIN!!!!!
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Here here Mr Johnson.. If only Hedley Lamar would listen
RGV Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:30 am

Nic is a great player, but I really don't see him in the NBA due to his size. MK different story.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:14 am

Next level meaning NBA, Europe, China, somewhere. Nic can make a living playing basketball. He will also have a nice degree to fall back on. No reason to jump ship at this point.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am

Why not appeal sooner rather than at the end of the 15 day window? By appealing, you stand by your players. If you win, then the likely result is the removal of the post-season ban and maybe reduction by 1 or 2 scholarships of the initial punishment. If you lose, they instate the current sanctions (correct?). So we have a great team, we push hard and run all season and our play pressures the NCAA to make that decision with outside influence of more eyes on a top ranked program. If they lose the appeal before the NCAA tournament, then we lose our post-season. If we win, we go. Either way, seems like it works out better if those were the two results. Add to that voluntary application of all punishments for this season as enumerated by the NCAA...think it is a good option.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby texasmustang10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:53 am

we also made a deep tournament run in '56.. and no one cares about that because we sucked for a long time afterward. I'd rather build slowly and the "right way" than win 2 games in the tournament and push out the dark cloud for another year.

Also, what are MK and Nic going to do, change teams mid-season? That's a ridiculous argument
texasmustang10
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball