PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is anybody else as sick of constant disappointment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is anybody else as sick of constant disappointment

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:10 am

as I am??? I once again let this late season run (as opposed to our typical year end collapse) lure me into believing we had a pretty good shot at going to the Dance for the first time in 10 years. But,no, once again we come out flat and can't hit throw it in the ocean, while the other team shots 3's like they are uncontested layups. I really don't understand the "flat thing" with the opportunity we had in front of us. Anybody is free to support Mike Dement or not, but I have to lay it at his feet. He has been here 8 seasons, with a lot of good players, with one pitiful NIT performance to show for it. I know he will be here next year ("The Commitment" or not), but prospects for us to be a better team next year are not realistically good.

Sorry I rambled so long....I needed to vent.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: Is anybody else as sick of constant disappointment

Postby SmooBoy » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:20 am

<raised hand> I am! I've only been following Mustang Sports since the late 70's, so I at least enjoyed a few years of satisfaction in Football and some good Bliss-led b-ball teams in the 80's. While I know it affected the school in multi-faceted ways, how long can we use the "death-penalty" excuse for our major-sport woes (yes, I know of our dominant aquatic athletes and soccer teams).

The time is now to break through the malaise of SM-who to being a somewhat consistent winner in a lower-level conference. We're getting decent talent but have zero to show for it.

Constantly disappointed, yes. Giving up my SMU fandom, never.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:27 am

Me! We never seem to have what it takes to win that championship. In basketball, football, tennis, soccer, whatever. I think we can do better.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:35 am

I'm pretty frustrated with that showing tonight. And the future looks fairly lukewarm at the moment. We just dont seem to get enough physical athletes and well rounded basketball players. I would argue that Q has been the only well rounded player SMU has had in the last several years. And we still do not have a physical prescence in the post. Finally, Dement has not shown the ability to lift the team above its talent level. Average talent combined with average coaching will get you average results every time. Some people may not want to hear that, but its the truth as I see it. We have great kids, SOME good D-1 ball players and a decent coach. SMUs admin seems satisfied with that recipe. I dont expect to be Duke or even win WAC championships on a regular basis. I do think you have to give the fans something every 4 years or so. If that means sacrificing a season or two by playing freshmen, thats one way to get there.
Hoop Fan

Postby ponyte » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:39 am

I too had high hopes but at the same time I realize that this is a young team. Four starters that are soph or younger. One must have realistic expectations and I for did not have realistic expectations. This team did very well. Maybe (as always) next year.

I am proud of our late season run and our
first round win. Good job Ponies.
ponyte

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:13 am

Anyone relying on Simpson or Castro for consistent game-in-game-out scoring next season will be disappointed. Isham and especially Miller are both liabilities on the offensive end, maybe with the proper coaching they can…..oh forget that thought.

Personally, I think we will be lucky to make the second round of the WAC tourney next year.

One final note, what a waste of a year it was for Donatas. Was he ever a difference in even one game this year? I can’t think of any as he only averaged 5 minutes per game. This wasted year will matter three years from now.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:00 am

Does this really surprise anyone??
Pony_Fan

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:30 am

One reason SMU appears to play flat is because we don't recruit quality shooters. Yes we get some athletes like Sasser, Davis, Isham etc but these guys are not pure shooters with the exception of Ross and maybe Hancock We need to recruit some kids that are athletes AND that can shoot from downtown. Dontas is and and was a player recruited on potential just like I said last year when you guys were saying that he was a Top 15 Center. 17-13 is just about where our talent level allows us to achieve. You want to win titles and go to the tournament-go recruit better players-its as simple that. There is some hope that Demetric Bennett might be a kid that can hit from outside although I don't think he had the year he did as a junior.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:36 am

Just got in from work. I was very disappointed to see the final outcome of the season. I wish the team well, and support the kids, but that doesn't mean I an not disappointed. We should've done much better. We have a good group of kids, and a good coach, but where does that seem to get us?

While many are quick to blame Dement, it is not entirely his fault. He is a good coach, but not great. Maybe jc5oo will finally realize this. He gets some good talent, and lets it go to waste. From what I've heard and read, we were totally flat. Not what a great, motivated coach would allow.

While on the face of it, Dement carries blame, so does the administration of SMU. To allow us to wallow in such mediocracy is horrible. We are a quality university, in a major city. This should not happen or tolerated. Time to wake up to the reality of what is going on in college athletics, and the impact it has on a school overall. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate going for the lowest common denominator, but come on. I don't want to have a Jim Harrick situation, or something like a St. Bonnie senario, but give the programs a fighting chance again. We have the premier academic program in the WAC, except in some regards bowing to rice. This also means SMU ought to field the best athletic teams possible too. To try to blame poor facilities, fans, etc. is just bs. Play well, and win, and that has no bearing. You ever been to half of the places other schools play at who have excelled in bball? I have. Many play in gyms that make Moody seem like a palace. Give me a break. Old Pony calls the WAC a "poor conference." I'm tired of that excuse also. WAC teams really aren't all that bad. Look at the strides made by nevada and boise. Given our history, we ought to be doing a lot better than those schools. Look at the monies poured into fresno st. If we want to be considered for better situations, we need to beat our fellow conference mates. End of story. The WAC doesn't also doesn't get respect because the leadership is weak, not totally the schools fault.

So back to where I started. We should've beat nevada. Contrary to what some may think, we had the better team. We just didn't seem to have the drive. If we want better, then time to put the pressure on the leadership of SMU. Time to put pressure on Dement. I love my alma mater, and I believe we deserve better.

Here is to a better tomorrow.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:38 am

Yes Stallion, you are correct we have absolutely noone who can shoot consistently and haven't in a long time. Sasser launched plenty of crooked shots to become the all-time shooter. When was the last pure shooter? Woods?? Not counting Ross of course. We need a Carl English type player - he is a very pure and I love to watch him play. Someone who is $$ off the screen.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 03-15-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:57 am

Couldn't agree more about the need for a couple of "pure" shooters on our roster. While Q was a slightly better shooter than Sasser, both had very flat shots and that doesn't usually lead to high percentage shooting. I think Q shot a better percentage because he was more patient and had better shot selection than Sasser, but the bottom line is that we haven't had a good pure shooter in a while now.

I had hopes for Voc Atkins, but it appears his injury problems will keep him from improving on what we saw from him as a true frosh. I haven't seen Bennett, but he appears to be next year's hope. On the current roster, we have to hope that Isham continues to improve. His numbers and improvement from his Frosh to Soph years are similar to what Damon Hancock did. Damon really broke out his Jr year when he averaged 16 pts/game. We will definitely need double figures from Isham next year. Miller was supposed to be another shooter and the question is whether he will develop into anything the next 3 yrs. Bhop looked like a Frosh PG this year, and I look for significant improvement from him. I expect we will see an improved assist/turnover ratio and better shot selection and he will definitely lead this team better than he did this year.

I like our low post players Simpson & Castro, but we will need Rack and the incoming Frosh to contribute depth. Could be an interesting rotation next year with the 3 spot the one to watch. I expect Lowe to start at the 3, but the question is whether Pearson has the game to contribute as a Frosh.

Yes, I'm disappointed with the way the season ended (not that I expected to beat Nevada, but I expected it to be a close game), but the 17-13 finish was slightly better than what I expected coming in and I can't say anyone performed worse than I expected. I know a lot of people are down on Bhop, but if you've paid attention through the years, most players will improve dramatically betwen their Frosh and Soph years, so I will wait until next year before judging whether he was over-hyped as a top national level recruit. I think Isham, Simpson & Castro made good progress and I do think we have a chance to be slightly better next year.

For those who feel anything less than post season is a failure, I will just say that two years from now (when 4 of this year's starters will be upperclassmen), I will also expect this team to be playing in the post season.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:15 pm

I really thought Elsey was going to be that type of "shooter" after seeing his clutch ferformances vs. UNLV etc. Not as good as English - but as good as any "Shooter" we have had around here in a while -

Boy did he flush it all down the toilet by darting off to WACO.

you are all right though - we need a "Shooter" Before Elsey - it was Chad Allen. Since Elsey - it has been - No-one.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BigEasyPony » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:25 pm

Since I graduated from SMU in 1989 the SMU basketball team has been an absolute joke save for one (1) season under Shumate. This is unacceptable! If I hear one (1) more time that Mike Dement has won at least 15 games since he's been at SMU I'm going to throw up. That tells me he is a mediocre coach. I am quite sure he's a nice guy and he may even be a good coach, but he's not getting it done on the Hilltop. He bears 100% responsibility for the pathetic play of our team. It's fine to say that we don't have good enough shooters. Well, in case you haven't realized we're in year 8 of the Dement regime and he obviously is not recruiting shooters. I also think it is a joke that he has never recruited an inside defensive presence.

Of course the administration is to blame for accepting this mediocrity and in that sense we are too. We should demand of our teams that we compete for conference championships. We don't. We should demand an occasional trip to the NCAA's. We don't. We should demand that Mike Dement do his job. (His JOB is to coach winning basketball!). We don't and he doesn't. There is absolutely no reason that SMU cannot compete with the Gonzaga's, Butler's, Southern Illinois', and other schools.

This is a wakeup call for all of us, we should demand more and if we don't get it then there needs to be a change. Mr. Copeland, it's time you show your commitment to winning basketball. As an alumnus of SMU, We demand it!
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Ringer » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:49 pm

I am disappointed but really not surprised. SMU just did not have the guns to get to the dance this year. A quality team needs several players that can be counted on to score consistantly. I emphasize the word consistant. SMU did not have that this year. SMU did its best when they had more then two players in double digits. I know that is not a novel idea just a reminder that the conisistancy was not there this season. Just like it was not there during the tournament. Hevada had five players in double digits last night. They won the game.

Q showed tremendous heart the last part of this season. We will miss him. I quess the biggest question in my mind is why in both tournament games the team seemed to play flat? I think Bhop was a little tired in both games due to Voc being unable to sub for him because of his back problem. Anyway, best of luck to Q.

Thought for next year: I would like to see more of that kid Aitkenhead from Guatemala. He got one opportunity this year, did great, and then did not see the light of day off the bench. I think he might offer the some of the intangibles that SMU was missing this year.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:33 pm

I am telling you, it is the coaching and until we make a change, we are going to be continually disappointed. He has been here long enough with NO results. Like our AD said last year about Mike Cavan, "I have seen enough".
Pony Fan
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball