PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some thoughts...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Some thoughts...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:22 am

I will readily admit that I'm not really a basketball fan. Or, at least, I wasn't until this year. But a very dear friend has turned me into one. I've come to appreciate the skill that this game requires. And the intensity that players have to have to stay in the game. I'm sorry our Mustangs didn't make it to 'the dance' (why is it called that anyway?) and that many of you will be disappointed and calling for all sorts of changes in the Mustangs' basketball program. I'm VERY PROUD of our Mustangs! They had a fine season! They were competitive! They made other teams take notice of them! I hope that the students on The Hilltop will give each player a 'high five' for a season well-played and let them know that their talents are appreciated by all Mustangs! GO MUSTANGS! STAND TALL AND PROUD!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Some thoughts...

Postby Ringer » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:54 pm

Thanks MrMustang for a good post. Those that call for all sorts of changes to Mustang Basketball are just frustated to see the season end without a tournament bid. This team really did not show the talent to be in the tournament. That does not mean that they were not a good team. This team showed signs of being a tournament team but they were not nearly consistant enough. I think that next year's team will be better. I like the level of talent that is returning with Castro and Simpson. For the first time in a long time I see a one two punch down low for SMU. With BHop having a years experience under his built and the off season to truly get his legs underneath him, things really are not as dim as some on this board would have you to believe. The reality is that this team did not play the level of basketball that it takes to get to the tournament. Yes I wished with all my heart that they would make it. But deep down, I knew that this team really did not belong in the big dance.

Hope you return as enthusiastic as you are now for next year. Next year's team can build on this year.
Ringer
Recruit

Re: Some thoughts...

Postby Ikus » Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:30 pm

Thanks,'65. My other posts tonight might have sounded negative, and they weren't meant that way. I meant to be analytical (for whatever my analysis is worth), and that, coupled with the frustration from last night's game and all the green beer I chugged today might have made me seem more negative than I am. Like you, I am very proud of our guys, particularly Nigel Smith, Jibran Kelley and of course, The Q.

Things appeared bleak early in the year, and it's a credit to every guy on this team that they never quit and reversed the team's fortunes to make a nice run down the stretch. 5 out of the last 6 is a really nice finish to the season. Congratulations to all the Ponies and the coaches.
Ikus
Heisman

Return to Basketball