PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NIT Outlook

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NIT Outlook

Postby PonyTime » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:25 pm

Seems like Rice thinks they are in the NIT - too bad we did not win one more game this season (Boise, Tulsa at home, Fresno at home, UNLV come to mind)

See Houston Chron Story:

<A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1819896" TARGET=_blank>http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1819896</A>
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: NIT Outlook

Postby PX » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:25 pm

Rice might have a shot, I had forgotten that the NIT started inviting 40 teams last year (up from 32) that might open up spots for Rice and Nevada. The news article says their RPI is 89, so if there arent too many upsets in conference tournaments, putting teams like IUPUI into the big dance, then Rice could get in. Poor attendance is still their biggest weakness, though, and it doesnt look like the proposed matchup with Texas Tech is that likely anymore. Tech may have renewed their NCAA prospects by beating UT last night.
PX
Varsity

Postby Ikus » Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:22 pm

So is it safe to assume we have no shot at the NIT? I heard on the radio that there are tons of teams threatening major upsets by winning their conference titles, meaning a lot of bubble teams are sweating. If a lot of scrubs earn guaranteed bids, and then the Arizonas and Marylands and Texases of the world earn their bids, there might be a lot of pretty strong teams heading to the NIT.

And thanks to Bob Knight for knocking off the damn Horns.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:06 pm

Too bad they couldn't knock off the Sooners, too! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ikus:
<B>So is it safe to assume we have no shot at the NIT? I heard on the radio that there are tons of teams threatening major upsets by winning their conference titles, meaning a lot of bubble teams are sweating. If a lot of scrubs earn guaranteed bids, and then the Arizonas and Marylands and Texases of the world earn their bids, there might be a lot of pretty strong teams heading to the NIT.

And thanks to Bob Knight for knocking off the damn Horns.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say our chances are close to non-existent. If you do the math there are 105 total postseason bids (65 NCAA, 40 NIT.) Looking at todays Sagarin Rankings, we're #124. At least 11 conferences will have a team win their automatic bid, who are ranked behind us. Some teams ranked in front of us wont get in because their record is too poor, but they played such a tough schedule (such as South Carolina) their ranking is better. There are 3-4 teams like San Diego state that are ranked between 105-124 that are on the bubble for the NIT, and who have had better seasons than we have. Almost right behind us is a 20-9 Boston Univ. team that got upset by Vermont in their conference tourney, but winning their conferences regular season title will probably get them into the NIT. The numbers just arent in our favor.
Nevada, Hawaii, and Rice are all borderline, but ranked in front of SMU. Nevada is probably the most attractive to the NIT, because they draw more fans. One of the other 2 might also get in, but not neccesarily both.
PX
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:24 am

I had also forgotten the NIT expanded to 40 and agree that gives hope to Rice, Nevada and Hawaii, who might all finish with RPIs under 100 (I'm assuming Tulsa will hold their 8 pt lead and win the WAC bid to the NCAA Tourney).

As I watch these post season conference tourneys, I find myself more interested in the mid-major tourneys...because they have more meaning. Winners go, losers often are either done or hope for NIT consideration. That's a lot more interesing to me than whether UConn or Pitt wins the Big east, when you know both teams are playing on.

I've got to believe a football playoff would be huge and that there would be significant interest in the mid-major conference championships games...to see who gets to go play against the big boys in a 16 team playoff.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:59 pm

Boston College, Tenn., and Texas Tech all left out of the big dance. These were teams with RPI's in the 40's. It may be tough for anyone over 90 to slip into the NIT. Nevada is 91.

I wanted to make a point about our chances. In 2000, SMU finished 20-9 and was 65th in the Sagarin rankings, we got into the NIT, but had to play on the road. In 2001 we were 18-12, and 78th in the Sagarin rankings, but didnt get a bid. This year we're 17-13 and 124th in the Sagarin Rankings. So, we're 46 spots behind where we were in 2001, and that wasnt good enough to get in. This is the reality of our position in college basketball, we dont draw well, we arent an interesting TV matchup for anyone, and so we dont make a good candidate for the NIT. If we had won one more game, or two more, or even possibly 3, we may not have been attractive enough to get a bid.
PX
Varsity

Postby PX » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:48 am

Hawaii and Nevada are in. Rice is out.
PX
Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:52 pm

The reason Rice is out is they can't bring fans to their home court. If you think we have attendance problems check out theirs.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby PX » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boulevard bum:
<B>The reason Rice is out is they can't bring fans to their home court. If you think we have attendance problems check out theirs. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont need to, I've already said that several times. Once earlier in this same thread. Thanks for being redundant, though.
PX
Varsity

Return to Basketball