PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Friday's loss and Rid's undeniable DOMINANCE over the college hoops landscape

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Friday's loss and Rid's undeniable DOMINANCE over the college hoops landscape

Postby jc500 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:43 am

Gents,

Friday's loss was indeed a disappointment. However, we must not kid ourselves - we all saw this coming. The key is to avoid reacting emotionally about the situation.

I warned the entire board (see my "Tourney Dreams guarantee a letdown" thread) that the first round victory and subsequent loss was imminent. This is no time to call for Dement's head. I stand firm in my conviction that the guy is an AMAZING coach.

Also, I don't think everyone should be so concerned about filling the scoring void left by Q's departure. I'm not saying that Q isn't an outstanding player - we all know the guy is incredibly gifted. However, unbalanced scoring is a hallmark of teams that simply do not have enough talent and that do not have the requisite building blocks of success - ie size and strength.

I will not claim to have knowledge about the Pony Hoops strength training regimen, but by all appearances, it's lacking.

Because SMU is forced to recruit less-prized big men, a vigorous work-out program and a merciless attention to our big-men's games is necessary. Teams like Gonzaga succeed on the backs of bulked up centers like Corey Violette - you cannot tell me that guy was a great athlete coming out of high school. There is aboslutely no reason that Castro and Simpson cannot put on weight.

(I don't think Castro would necessarily put on weight, but he could definitely add muscle and lose fat - which would have an amazing impact on his quickness. Simpson can definitely put on some weight.)

Finally, please tell me that somebody watched Oregon's AMAZING run through the Pac 10 tourney.

If you saw it, you KNOW that Luke Ridnour is the absolute best point guard in the nation. The man was simply unstoppable. Double teams, traps, full-court pressure; Ridnour foiled everything Henry Bibby tried.

Having said that, I don't think the Ducks will go too far in the tourney. THey simply do not have the inside play that is necessary as you face the nation's best teams.

However, as long as Ridnour is handling the ball, one never knows how far the Ducks will go.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Re: Friday's loss and Rid's undeniable DOMINANCE over the college hoops landscape

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:05 pm

I watched Oregons run and I have been a fan of Ridnours for the last couple of years. I like his game and creativity. I do like the ducks to get by Utah, and they may give Kentucky some problems. Good guard play in the tournament can go a long way.

Upset special Oregon over Kentucky.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Return to Basketball