PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Shots Fired (Players Issue Statement to NCAA)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Shots Fired (Players Issue Statement to NCAA)

Postby Pony147 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 am

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... m-unfairly

We, the student-athlete members of the SMU Basketball family, wish to express our profound disappointment and vehement disagreement with the sanctions levied upon us as student-athletes, and with the conclusions drawn by the NCAA Committee on Infractions about our men's basketball program and our coach, Larry Brown. We believe the NCAA exercised questionable judgment in punishing innocent people, and we strongly disagree that a dedicated group of blameless, amateur athletes should bear the overwhelming weight of the consequences in this case. We also wish to make known that the NCAA's conclusion that the SMU Men's Basketball program is not compliant with NCAA rules is simply incorrect.

We are dedicated students and athletes, and we believe in rules, honor and fair play. Each and every one of us understands the seriousness of the underlying violation of NCAA rules, and we understand the role of the NCAA in fairly enforcing the rules and adjudicating infractions cases. We also believe in proportionality and due process. As student-athletes directly impacted by these sanctions, we believe the sanctions are disproportionate to the infraction and unfairly punish us for things we had nothing to do with and over which we had no control.

The NCAA has imposed an immediate postseason ban that unfairly punishes our entire team. This punishment is especially unfair to our seniors, who will lose an opportunity of a lifetime despite doing nothing wrong. None of our players, especially our seniors, had any role in this case nor could possibly have known about any rules infraction. And not one member of our team was born when SMU Football was before the NCAA in the 1980s.

The suggestion or conclusion that SMU Basketball does not recognize the importance of NCAA rules and compliance with those rules cannot be farther from the truth. Every single day Coach Brown and our compliance staff remind and educate us about specific rules and the general principles of fair competition, honesty, and decency.

Coach Brown is not only a great basketball coach, he is a life-skills teacher, a constantly available adviser, and a father figure to all of his players. We are a family, and we support Coach Brown completely, and appreciate his unyielding support of us.

We, the student-athletes, had no voice in this case, and believe we were denied our due process. We ask that the NCAA reconsider the sanctions that unfairly target and disproportionately affect the innocent, and allow SMU Men's Basketball to compete for a berth in postseason play. That sanctions disproportionately affecting the student-athlete have been levied in the past is no reason to continue such an unfair practice in this case, or in future cases.

In the meantime, we will assess our options while continuing to work harder each day to make SMU students, faculty and fans proud of us and our basketball program. We are proud to play for them as they make Moody Coliseum the best arena in college basketball.

"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Re: Shots Fired (Players Issue Statement to NCAA)

Postby SMU1523 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:04 am

I love this move. I just hope it yields some results.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:05 am

The pr blitz is only beginning
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:05 am

Cool.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:06 am

Has the NCAA ever rescinded a penalty?

Don't like the end part about exploring options though.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby KWhiz77 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:17 am

This may or may not do anything, but it was a strong, classy move on their part. It speaks volumes in regards to our program on so many levels. I am proud of these guys.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:22 am

Awesome.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:24 am

Love it.
skyscraper

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:24 am

It probably won't change anything but that is impressive. Very well done.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponydawg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:27 am

Markus wrote the chit out of that, nice work!
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 am

Good to see the secretary can still write..I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness, great move by the squad
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 am

PerunasHoof wrote:Has the NCAA ever rescinded a penalty?

That's a legal threat
CalallenStang

Postby Smulaw90 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:42 am

We (as Alums and as a University), should applaud the players for exercising their rights. This was done in a concerted, coordinated manner and shows solidarity with the Coach and within the team.
I'm proud of these guys. Part of what we want them to learn as students is how to deal with adversity. Handling problems in the right manner, at the right time, with the proper response. When was the last time we saw a response like this from a Team? I can't remember a time.

To the Non-Offenders, Kudos!!

I'm sad for Keith Frazier. Let's not forget he's just a kid. Let's also not forget (and I know I will get flamed for this), that we were all once kids and except for the Grace of God, we all did things that could've easily landed us in jail or put us in a house of shame. Keith was old enough to know better and should've done right. But that being said, this whole ordeal has been an unfair weight for him to bear. He's already served his sentence by missing a semester of basketball. Now his team will suffer.

Rewind a bit to the Pony Express days and look what happened to David Stanley and Sean Stopperich. I don't want that to be KF in 15 years. If only this Team could play in the Tournament . . . . . .
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am

CalallenStang wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:Has the NCAA ever rescinded a penalty?

That's a legal threat

OK, good.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 am

If I were the NCAA I would say if you don't like it then appeal it. If not the statement does not have legs to stand on. I wonder what lawyer put that together.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball