PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA brackets

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA brackets

Postby Lefty » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:49 pm

OK, PonyFans, I need some help with my bracket here. Who do you see as top teams who are susceptible to an upset, or sleepers who might make some serious noise?
Lefty
All-American

Re: NCAA brackets

Postby Phil Fan » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:46 pm

No guarantees, of course, but first-round sleepers might include:

- Weber State over Wisconsin

- Southern Illinois over Mizzou (Mizzou's Big 12 tournament showing notwithstanding)

- Butler over Mississippi State

- Arizona State over Memphis

- San Diego over Stanford (this is my biggest reach)
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby boulevard bum » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phil Fan:
<B>No guarantees, of course, but first-round sleepers might include:

- Weber State over Wisconsin

- Southern Illinois over Mizzou (Mizzou's Big 12 tournament showing notwithstanding)

- Butler over Mississippi State

- Arizona State over Memphis

- San Diego over Stanford (this is my biggest reach)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like your San Diego pick but have you seen Miss State play??? There's no way they will get beat by Butler. They may even go to the Final Four.You are nuts. Never mind. I didn't see the Weber fiasco you listed. And Memphis will not lose to A State. And Missouri ousted by that spare SIU??????You've got to be kidding. Are you just picking the underdog in every game?
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Phil Fan » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:15 pm

Uh .... no. If I'd gone for the underdog in every game, you'd see 32 games listed (since nobody in his right mind would set a line on the UNC-Asheville/Texas Southern game.

That's why they're called upsets. I'm guessing. But there's some logic to it. Southern Illinois made the Sweet 16 last year and didn't lose much. Their record would have been even better than the 24-6 mark they had without some injuries.

Mississippi State just doesn't do it for me. To me, they're Austin and four other interchangeable parts. Maybe I'm wrong. But Final Four? That seems like more of a reach than my upsets.

And I just like the big Texas kid in the middle for Arizona State. Memphis has been too hot-and-cold for my taste.

OK, Bum, rather than ripping me for going out on a limb with some guesses, how about some of yours. Show me the error of my ways!
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:29 am

Watch out for The Fighting Illini.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:29 pm

I agree. Their point guard is unbelievably quick. Digger Phelps said he's the fastest player in America, even quicker than T.J. Ford.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Basketball