PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

coaching speculation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

coaching speculation

Postby abezontar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:12 pm

If we were to fire Dement, do you think Steve Lavin would be a good replacement, and what dream world would we have to be living in to actually get him (i.e. what would we have to do and change to get him to come here?)
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: coaching speculation

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:40 pm

I hear Jim Herrick and Jerry Tarkanian are available. Tested, final four experienced coaches. Or should I say, lie detector tested? Just kidding guys but couldn't resist.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leadpony » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:45 pm

Getting Lavin is not going to happen. Because to get him the school would be making an national statement that we are SMU and that we are taking sports seriously.

Lavin would not only bring SMU instant NCAA basketball attention, not to mention the fact that we would be spoken about in a positive light for hiring 2 great coaches in major men's sports in as many years.
But he would be able to take a team with the talent that we will have next year to the NCAA tournament.

If SMU is serious about "the commitment" then they should dish out some cash and get Lavin. I'm sure that Lavin would not be licking his chops to be a Mustang. But with the right salary he would be singing "she'll be comin round the mountain" with the rest of us.

But getting a coach like Lavin aint going to happen.

Bennett is the answer to our football problems. I honestly beleive that. Now lets make some headway in our basketball program. Because I for one am tired of seeing great players and no results.
leadpony
Recruit

Postby BigEasyPony » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:22 pm

UCLA paid him about $540K for 2003-04 and bought out the remaining four (4) years of his contract at the base rate which is $150K per year. That means he has the financial flexibility to pick and choose the best place. I think he'll probably take a gig with ESPN for a year or so and then see what jobs open up. After this season ends there figures to be a lot of movement. If Kentucky can win the NCAA's expect Tubby Smith to go to the NBA. That would leave open two (2) of the most prestigious jobs in the country in UCLA and Kentucky. SMU would do best to lay low and see what the fallout would from those jobs.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:40 pm

The words to the fight song are either "she'll be loaded with Peruna," or "oh we'll all shout where's Peruan" when she comes.....heard it on an old 20's era recording.....uh....anyway

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:02 pm

Lavin's not coming to SMU any sooner than Jerry Tarkanian, Jim Harrick, Nolan Richardson, John Thompson or John Wooden. First of all, Herrick is under contract.

Second of all, so is Mike Dement. And he's not going anywhere.

Hang in there, Coach. Hit a few golf balls and then get the team ready for next year!
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:58 am

Dement is staying ...we all know this.

BUT here is a rundown of this year's coaches. Clemson coach stepped down.

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncb/03changes.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncb/03changes.html</A>
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:20 am

If Dement doesn't make the WAC champ. game next year, he's out. That will be the time for coach speculation....

As for Tubby Smith, he isn't going anywhre. He'll be at Kentucky for awhile... look what happened to Pitino at Boston. Tubby is smarter... he'll just push for a near NBA-size salary to stay in Lexington...and the Wildcat faithful will be more than willing to give it to him (esp. after they win the national champ. this year Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Fan » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am

My understanding is that he is not going anywhere this year but in my opinion, he has had MORE than enough time to get this program in the NCAA tournament, and I don't think anyone can say he has not had any players.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:03 am

he has not the first or second most talented team in his conference during any year during his tenure.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BigEasyPony » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:45 am

Isn't that the mark of a good coach that his players overachieve for him. Does the most talented team win every year. Basketball is not football. You can win in basketball with two (2) scorers and then some really good role players. Don't get me wrong talent is critical, but not as important as in football. Every year we witness upsets in conference tournaments and NCAA tournaments. Granted the teams with the combination of great talent and great coaching are the consistent winners, but a great coach can get your team in the tournament at least once in 8 years. What is Dement's strong suit? Recruiting? Coaching?

Also Tubby Smith will be in the NBA within two (2) years. I know this for a fact. As successful as Tubby has been at Kentucky he has not particularly enjoyed his stay there. I know it seems odd, but the Wildcat faithful have been tough on him.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Waz » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:14 pm

If, as Stallion says, Dement hasn't had top 1 or 2 tallent in any of his years here, the burning question would be why? Oh, I forgot, the JUCO thing and that awful academic situation.

That not withstanding, Dement certainly hasn't established his coaching expertise in the top one or two either. The WAC isn't top heavy with coaching talent. Yes there are some good coaches, but across the board, nothing outstanding.

SMU's best hope for escaping the world of basketball/WAC mediocrity is for Dement to head out on his own. Everyone should hope and pray for this. Dement would be happy, it would give the illusion that SMU has had a successful program, thus attracting a higer quality of applicant for the position. I fear if this doesn't happen, and Dement pulls another 15-17 win season next year, and another early exit from anything resembling post season, he will be back again, armed with a contract extension by Copeland.

Here is to some poor AD thinking that what Dement has done with our program at SMU is worth consideration for a promotion. Then they will be stuck with mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

As to the list of currently available head coaches, only Lavin and possibly Larry Shyatt would be an improvement. Shyatt has improved Clemson's program in each of the past three years, but apparently not fast enough. They must have some expectations in that program.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:22 pm

Hey smartass-the team that won the WAC had a First Team All-WAC Guard Damon Jackson from JC, Second Team All-WAC Forward in Hiram Fuller from JC, an All Newcomers F in Renaldo Major from JC and I haven't even started counting the non-qualifiers and partial qualifiers so I think that shows quite emphatically - once again-that SMU just like every other year since the WAC was started was beaten in the conference race by a team that relied substantially on JC/CC and or non-qualifiers and partial qualifiers who are not admitted to SMU. Deal with it!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PX » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:10 pm

Not disputing the others, but Damon Jackson actually first came to Fresno State as a high school recruit, and was a full qualifier. He redshirted his freshman year, because Fresno was loaded with guards then, and transferred to a junior college his sophomore year, because Tarkanian wouldnt promise him playing time. After one year at JC, he came back.

Fresno played a very small rotation this year, sticking with just 8 players. Besides the people already mentioned Noel Felix, Travis Demanby, Terry Pettis, and Mustafa Al-Sayyad were all high school recruits and all full qualifiers. Demanby is a a 5th year senior who redshirted early on, like Jackson. Rolando Todd was a JC transfer, and I dont know his academic status. Shantay Legans is sitting out this year after transferring from Cal, but he was also a full qualifier out of high school.
PX
Varsity

Postby abezontar » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:18 pm

Weren't Renaldo Bratten, and Damon Hancock transfers....I know Renalod was, but I thought Damon was as well. Or maybe it was the other way around.

abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball