PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Controversial Coaching Change Suggestion

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Controversial Coaching Change Suggestion

Postby jc500 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:31 pm

Gents,

Before I begin, I must reiterate that I am thoroughly opposed to making a change at the Head Coach position. You all know that I think Dement is an AMAZING coach.

Having said that, I must address coaches that could be successful at SMU if we decide to make a premature coaching change.

While it is a controversial topic, I think it's necessary for the board to consider RACE as a factor in hiring a new coach, and not just because of the moral implications.

I truly believe that an African American head coach at a program of SMU's questionable caliber would be more equipped to succesfully recruit some of Texas' better players. While I do not have extensive knowledge of black coaches currently seeking a head coaching job, I will offer one suggestion - Coleman Crawford.

Crawford has prior head coaching experience (Akron from '90-'95), he is a proven recruiter (heavily involved with FSU's stellar recruiting class in 2000 - although that might not have yielded too much), and has knowledge and familiarity with current and future Ponies.

All other suggestions - Lavin, Tarkanian, harrick, etc. - reflect an inability to acknowledge the dire situation that SMU hoops is currently mired in - a situation that precludes SMU from hiring a KNOWN NCAA commodity.

Because of our position, we must find someone willing to take a chance on a program that doesn't have exceptional institutional support. Because of the lack of institutional support, we need a LEADER that can succesfully dissuade the state's top talent from playing at its bigger, more athlete-friendly schools. Having a black HEAD coach is one way of reasuring African American recruits that SMU is committed to diversity - and is not simply a racist institution cloaked in the rhetoric of diversity.

(I'm not saying SMU is a racist institution. I'm just saying that dispelling that myth is best accomplished with actions to the contrary.)

I think a black coach would be more equipped for accomplishment within the limitations of the SMU program than a high-priced NAME in the college hoops game.

I think that any discussion for a replacement MUST give exhaustive consideration to qualified black coaches.

Race is always a factor.

I'm out
jc500
Recruit

Re: Controversial Coaching Change Suggestion

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:51 am

I for one just want a good coach. I don't care what color he is, as long as he can recruit and know what he is doing on game day. If Dement can still fit that mold next year, then great. From what I know, I too think Crawford would be a good candidate to consider if Dement fails next year.

P.S. Don't bring back John Shumate
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: Controversial Coaching Change Suggestion

Postby Waz » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:28 pm

Steve Robinson at Kansas has some familiarity with the league and fits your other credential. I would guess that he might have some other opportunities depending on how deep Kansas goes in the tournament. He may well only get mid major consideration though after his stint at Florida State. I would guess that he would be confident of bringing SMU into the spotlight most likely in his first year, but definitley in the second. We have current talent base and a great location for beefing up the talent with local recruits. Now all we need is a coach that can coach.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball