PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Are any of you suprised?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Are any of you suprised?

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:03 pm

The season turned out exactly as I said it would several months ago. Another Dement coached team failed to make any post-season play. SMU fans need to expect more out of the basketball team. It is time to let Dement go. In other words, fire his [deleted]. I have repeatedly posted this theme on this board for many months now. It is time to act before another season is wasted. In protest, I only went to one basketball game this season. I also noticed from many posts on this board that many others followed Johnny's lead and did not attend the games. Johnny will take his protest one step farther. I will not attend any more Dement coached games. If he is the coach for several more seasons, then so be it. Johnny will not be there. I am sorry it came to this, but it is time to take a stand that mediocrity will not be tolerated at SMU. I hope many follow my lead.
Johnny Rock

Re: Are any of you suprised?

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:52 pm

I cannot believe you'd go (or not go) because of the coach. I went to all of the home games because I like college basketball and I support our team! Maybe you should go to the Maverick games where your attitude would be appreciated. I'm not gonna stay home because of who the coach is.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:17 pm

Johnny wouldn't go anyway. I believe that is what is wrong with many SMU fans. Either win a lot or we won't come. Great school spirit, huh? I would expect that from unaffiliated Dallas fans but not SMU frads or students. BTW- Do you think SMU might win more games with large noisy crowd support. It seems to help other teams so not going is a way to prove a point- not support a team.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:46 pm

I certainly expect much more and Dement needs to go but I'll at least support the team and keep my seats. There are plenty of schools whose spirit is huge despite losses. I am just a fan of the school and of college basketball.

Maybe not support the Mustang Club, but not going to games doesn't help anything.
Pony_Fan

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:59 pm

It appears that Johnny has been misunderstood. Johnny does not believe that SMU must win (or go to the NCAAs) for him to end his boycott. I would like to see the administration make a commitment to winning with the men's basketball team. Dement has not achieved what he planned to do for whatever reasons, so he must be replaced. If a new coach is hired with proven success then Johnny will be on the front row cheering again. For instance, Johnny went to all of the football games and we did not have a winning record. Why? Because Johnny believes SMU made the commitment to win at football and hired a proven successful coach in Bennett. I actually look forward to the upcoming football season, win or lose, and I plan to attend all of the games. I hope that Johnny has the same enthusiasm for basketball in the near future. It is painful for me to not attend the basketball games, but it is something I must do. Many of you will thank me one day, until then I only wish the best for all of SMU.
Johnny Rock

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:44 am

Don't think you'll be missed, J.R. I'll take a buddy with me to the Rice game to make up for your former one-game-a-year attendance policy.
Bergermeister

Postby OldPony » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:51 am

Actually Johnny, if you look at it, Dement was more of a proven coach than Bennett. Dement had success in D-1 as a head coach. Although I like the hire of Bennett and hope he does well, he has shown nothing that Dement hasn't so far. His recruiting was great this year by previous standards (for many reasons not just his personality) but most seem to think Dement has recruited pretty well too. Bennett has shown us nothing so far as to how good of a coach he may be by winning games. Cavan won that many. Let's wait until success shows on the fiield before we start cannonizing Bennett. Dement has worked under the same restrictions as Cavan?Bennett in recruiting and has brought in good athletes and good guys. If you don't like Dement, that's fine but you shouldn't compare the two yet. PS-Bennett has a new stadium to sell and a football tradition. What does Dement have to sell?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:28 pm

One thing the administration never has to worry about is Dement getting recruited away by another University. Let's face it schools like SMU are always afraid that a coach is only using their school as a stepping stone for a better job. At least we don't have to worry. We're just on one big plateau with no steps in sight.

I can't remember Dement being mentioned for another job.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby BTPony » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:32 pm

Tulsa was being spanked by Nevada in the first half of the finals and the Golden Hurricane fans knew it was time to go crazy (and they did). They were loud, it rattled Nevada, Tulsa won.

I firmly believe we'd have a better record with stronger fan support.
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:51 pm

Right on the money, BT. SMU has no significant home field/court advantage because of our pathetic fan support. Opposing teams will tell you that (I've seen some quotes along those lines over the years) and I've got to believe it would help our recruiting if guys coming to visit saw that we had support for the program.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball