PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2003 team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2003 team

Postby OldPony » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:40 pm

Does anyone have a roster of next year's team? Are their signees who have a chance to push the starters? Do we have any scholarships left to give? Thanks
OldPony
Heisman

Re: 2003 team

Postby PX » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:17 pm

One scholarships left to give,

Next Year:
Seniors: Kris Lowe.
Juniors: Voc Atkins, Eric Castro, Justin Isham, Patrick Simpson.
Sophomores: Bryan and Ryan Hopkins, Brian Miller, Donatas Rackauskas.
Freshmen: Devon Pearson (6'6" forward) Demetric Bennet (6'4" shooting guard) and Chris Reay (6'8" center.)
Walkons: Mike Dement, Bobby Aitkenhead, Duke Biggers.

[This message has been edited by PX (edited 03-29-2003).]
PX
Varsity

Postby BigEasyPony » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:06 pm

Looks to me like Bryan Hopkins has to have an absolute monster year and Pat Simpson and Eric Castro have to have career years as well for the Ponies to do anything next year. Also, Dement needs to learn how to coach good perimeter defense. If SMU doesn't learn how to defend against the three, it will be a long year.

GO SMU!
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:16 pm

It's amazing to watch these teams who can actually match up, be well-coached, and execute a good defense. Defense is SO important and creates so much opportunity.

Unless these frosh and Hop can contribute immensely..it's IS going to be a long year. This year we had absolutely nothing off the bench.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:57 pm

Are there any concerns about the 3 guys who have committed qualifying to get in? Is that why we are still considering others for next year's class? What about Craft? Any indication he could see playing time, or is it possible he will transfer for the opportunity to play somewhere else. If he went to another Division I school (Is Tex A&M-CC a Division I Independent?) would he have to sit out another year and lose a year of eligibility? I've speculated that Voc Atkins might not make it through 4 years of eligibility, given his injury status. What's his academic status? I assume he's entering his Sr year and might graduate and be gone after next year, but that wouldn't impact next year's class.
Charleston Pony

Postby 50's PONY » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:39 pm

All three are in! Craft -- don't ask!
We will be entering year 9 -- just where we were 9 years ago!
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby PX » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:07 am

One recruit didnt have his test score when he committed, but he's qualified now.

A&M-CC is 1-AA, I believe a player could transfer there from here and play immediately. Going to another 1-A school, he would have to redshirt. Talking specifically about Craft, if he had to sit out someplace, he would lose a year of eligibility, because he's already redshirted.

Voc is close to on time to graduate next May.
PX
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:50 am

I didn't think they had 1-AA in basketball. Only Division II and III. That is how the Butlers, Gonzagas, UNCW's, and Penn's of the world get to play in the dance.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PX » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:12 pm

Right, all 1-A and 1-AA schools play in the same Div. 1 basketball tournament, and the AA designation refers only to football. I have to retracct my previous statement, looking back at a few basketball players who have transferred to 1-AA schools, I think they all had to sit out a year, too.
PX
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:31 pm

If I were a betting man, I would seriously doubt Craft transferring anywhere for MORE playing time. Read into that what you will.

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:55 pm

Texas A&M Corpus Christi turned Division 1 a couple of years ago.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:02 pm

Thanks, PX. I think the 4 returning starters can be really good next year with some help from the freshmen. Q is a huge loss but all of the rest of the starters should be improved. We need an outside scoring threat but maybe Miller, Voc(at least as a part timer) or one of the freshmen can step up. The D should be improved as these guys have matured a lot this past year.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PonyPower » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:39 pm

I agree with BigEasyPony except that I'd add Justin Isham to the list of players who need to have breakout years next year. From what I saw this year, his ball-handling is much improved, his defense is very good and we all know about his athleticism. I'd challenge him to shoot 500-1,000 jumpers A DAY between now and the start of next year. If he becomes a viable threat on the perimeter, he'll boost our scoring options and he'll force defenses to cover him on the perimeter - which would then open lanes for him to go by people for one of his high-flying dunks.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:57 pm

An improved and healthy Bhop, more experienced and consistent play from Castro and Simpson, as well as the incoming frosh will have the Mustangs in solid position next year. I don't think the 'Stangs are in trouble at all. Someone needs to step up to be a consistant scorer besides Bhop and Simpson. Once that happens, the Mustangs will be fine, and I think possibly a little deeper than they were this year.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:31 pm

Isham is a huge key for next year, and I personally expect him to step up. He very quietly had the best shooting precentage of any of our guards (meaning he's the most patient re: shot selection). He also has the best assist:turnover ratio among our guards. Quinton will be hard to replace, but I really do believe we will be BETTER next year, because we will have more balance and Bhop is going to become the point guard we all hoped he'd be.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball