PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I hate the Longhorns!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I hate the Longhorns!

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:42 am

Go Syracuse!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: I hate the Longhorns!

Postby SMUstang » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:56 pm

I'm with you. I'm for whoever is playing tu. Even though I live close to Austin. There is no semblence of parity here.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby whatasteve » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:15 pm

I'm struggling with this game — in fact, I probably won't watch it. I hate tu, too, but as a georgetown fan, I can't stand Suracuse, either. Interesting matchup, really, since Jim Boeheim is the basketball version of Mack Brown -- a coach who can recruit a team full of All-America players who never wins the big one.

Then again, the same can be said for Kansas coach Roy Williams. Another master recruiter who's won exactly nada. (Of course, now that I've said that, Syracuse and Kansas will end up in the final, meaning one of these non-coaches will be showered with questionable praise. I kind of hope Kansas doesn't win, either, so Williams will have to tapdance all over the place as he spews a bunch of empty rhetoric while trying to explain his lack of a title at Kansas .... as he bolts for North Carolina.)

In other words: Go Marquette!
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:07 am

Marquette can eat it. They pummeled my Bogans-less Kentucky Wildcats. Boo!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Fan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:02 am

I take nothing away from Texas as they have a really good team but as usual, Texas has some real success in a sport and they think they invented it. The arrogance is absolutely sickening.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:12 am

I love Marquette's coach, Crean. He is the real deal as his start player, Wade. They might not win it (I hope they do), but more importantly, if Crean stays, they will be a force very year.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby OldPony » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:15 pm

Boy that Williams is a choker. He has only gotten 4 teams to the FF in his last 20 years. I sure wouldn't want him for a coach. Look at all the coaches who have done bertter. Why there must be at least 2. No, he hasn't won the title. If his recruits are better than Duke's or UNC's or Kentucky's, please provide proof. Of Williams players who have made it to pro, only Paul Pierce is a star. The rest, I believe have had a hard time getting PT. Maybe Williams gets more from his players than their real talent? They should have won last year. This team though has 4 solid starters (since Simeon went down) and almost no bench). That KU is favored in the FF is simply a tribute to Williams. Roy will win the big one. Maybe not this year but he will get there sometime. He will stay at KU until he retires. He turned down a UNC program that was in less disarray last time. KU's AD who Williams doesn't like will be gone as soon as the FF is over. Roy is King at KU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:48 pm

I'm just still hoping for the day that we can be talking about our Ponies chances in one of these big games rather than those teams who would kick the sh**** out of us if we were to play.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:25 am

I think Williams takes the UNC job this time. It's well known he's not on the best of terms with the new AD. When the UNC job opened up three (3) years ago Bob Frederick was still the AD and they were very good friends. It will be intriguing b/c Roy Williams and Matt Doherty are very good friends. Matt was a Williams protege having been a player (when Roy was Dean's top asst.) and asst. coach to him (at KU). Williams probably feels Doherty coaches like he does.

Roy Williams does get a bum wrap for not winning the big one. Some other current NBA notables that have played for Roy Williams are Raef Lafrentz, Drew Gooden, Jacque Vaughn, Greg Ostertag and Scot Pollard.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:01 pm

UT fans are lame. They didn't really fill Erwin Center even though the Horns were ranked all year.
Now, you've got all these bandwagon fans. They don't appreciate their program - it's too much of a football school.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:06 pm

Roy will remain at KU. AD Bohl is gone. It just hasn't been announced. UNC has nothing to offer him that he doesn't have.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:11 pm

"Raef Lafrentz, Drew Gooden, Jacque Vaughn, Greg Ostertag and Scot Pollard" -- is that list meant as a tribute to Williams or a slap in his face?

LaFrentz = good frame, acceptable skills, nice shooting touch for a big man .... extremely inconsistent and overpaid. He's the Dallas version of Christian Laettner.

Gooden = Hard to tell, because it's so early, but this guy reeks of Derrick Coleman. All the talent in the world, and .... who knows if he'll ever "get it" in terms of work ethic and hustle and desire.

Vaughn = he's still in the league? He's .... Bimbo Coles? Actually, he reminds me of the old Texas guard, Travis Mays. Great college player whose skills didn't translate well to the NBA. The former Kansas "coach on the floor" (and the object of [deleted] Vitale's love that year) might make a good NBA coach one day, but as a player, he's very much a spare part.

Ostertag = Buzzcuts aside, this guy is impossible to tell apart from Eric Montross. They're both enormous and essentially useless, other than a very occasional blocked shot or rebound.

Scot Pollard = hard to believe this loon might be the best player on that list. He does all the dirty work for the Kings, doesn't score and has no interest in scoring - he dives all over the place to grab loose balls and get them to Webber, Stojakovic, etc. And he's just weird enough to be really interesting and entertaining. Every coach would want him. But nobody would trade for him.

Roy Williams is Coach K of the Midwest - except for all those championships Duke has won. Both coaches have produced a ton of great college players who went on to mediocrity in the pros. (Anyone touting Williams's ability to generate NBA players as got to start his list with Paul Pierce. THERE's a player.)
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:12 pm

BTW- Big Easy- I didn't say Roy had no others in the Bigs. I said he has had no stars in the pros except Pierce. All the others you named were great KU players but haven't made much of an impact as pros. I believe Collison will and possibly Hinrich but Collison is definitely a future star. Gooden may turn into one but he must get an attitude ajustment soon. BTW- I think Q will be a solid pro too.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:22 pm

I'm not about to make the argument that these guys are great pro players, but they are simply current NBA players who played for Roy Williams at KU. BTW my comment says current NBA notables that does not mean great or even good pros. Several of these guys are marginal NBA players, but they were still solid college players.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:04 pm

I really could careless who win the Final Four this year since my Wildcats are out Image!!! As long as TU and Marquette Ill be a happy camper lol
GO STANGS!

------------------
The Red And Blue Is Back! Let the Pony Pride Ride On The Hilltop!
Mustangs35SMU

Return to Basketball