PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

There IS a God....!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

There IS a God....!!!!

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:20 pm

And it's now quite obvious that He's NOT a Texas Longhorn!!!!! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: There IS a God....!!!!

Postby Jim Rome » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:37 pm

What was the reason behind Rick Barnes's meltdown at the end of the game last night? He was going Bobby Knight at the end of the game, and the announcers were saying he was furious. Was he angry at the refs? At his players for running out the last few seconds of the game?

Wonder how many UT fans were arrested on Bourbon Street last night.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:03 am

Barnes' meltdown can be attributed to one thing: BEING A SPOILED TEXAS LONGHORNS COACH!

And, frankly, I'd love it if EVERY Texas Longhorn was arrested in N.O. last night!!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:58 am

Boeheim is a great coach, and he had his game plan perfect for the Horns. Anthony having a career night didn't hurt either. I was nice to watch the Horns take it in the end. Then U-Conn beat their women. A doubly good weekend for the Big East and a lousy one for the Horns.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Corso » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:06 pm

I disagree about Boeheim being a great coach. He's a great recruiter.

Boeheim = Roy Williams = Mack Brown.

With enough talent, one of them will actually get a championship tonight. Hope it's Syracuse, so Williams has to squirm in front of the media while he's denying that he's headed to Chapel Hill .... when we all know he's headed to UNC.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:15 pm

He's a good recruiter, but he usually is one-step behind in the talent. His best teams in the late 70's, early 80's were always a little bit behind Georgetown, and in the 90's behind UConn. I do hope the Syracuse wins for the same reason. I love to see Tarheels squirm. It's almost as much fun as watching the Horns lose.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:16 pm

Boeheim may be in the same league as Williams but Barnes has a lot to prove to get there. Williams has been a head coach for (I believe) 15 years. This is his 4th Final Four. Now he inherited a great team and a great program but he has made it even better.
I don't understand the idea that Williams will leave KU. He will never be a legend at UNC, he's too old to get more than another 15 years. At the end of that time, he'll still be playing in the DeanDome.
At KU, after 30 years, he can be a legend. He may be still playing in Allen Fieldhouse but he'll have the court named after him or he'll get a road off of Naismith Dr.
UNC is his alma mater. Other than that, they don't have the tradition of KU nor anything to offer that KU can't match. He would be an idiot to go. Roy isn't an idiot.
The only negative at KU is Al Bohl who has been fired. It just hasn't been announced yet.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby In Tate We Trust » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:22 pm

I'd suggest Carolina has MORE of a tradition than Kansas. And nobody will be a legend there because of Dean Smith's shadow, much like nobody will be viewed as a great coach at UCLA because of the aura of Coach Wooden.

Williams will be in Chapel Hill within a couple of weeks. Kansas fans will be crying, after he got them close again - and came up short again.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:25 am

Corso, Boeheim isnt a great coach? Anthony is good, but only great coaching could have shut down Collison and Hinrich. Those players hustled down the court to get back on defense..they were prepared. Marquette was not. Boeheim is a great coach, and rightfully deserves this championship...he won it with a freshman star... where is our Carmello Anthony? Certainly no such stardom lies in Bryan Hopkins.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:41 am

8 players for Syracuse and 2 key freshman in the rotation...Anthony and McNamara
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:39 pm

In Tate- Hmm UNC has more tradition? Isn't their arena named after a KU guy? How about Kentucky's? Did the inventor of basketball coach at UNC? I will say that UNC has a great tradition but certainly no better than KU's. UNC has nothing to offer Roy that he can't get at KU and he will turn down UNC AGAIN.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby NCPony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:51 pm

There are some at UNC that don't want Roy b/c of how he basically gave the middle finger 3 years ago when Baddour couldn't close the deal. If Roy does go home to UNC they will be great. If he stays at KU then UNC will get Larry Brown and they will be great. The only problem is that Brown is 63 which only gives him 5 to 6 years to groom Phil Ford for the job. Also, if Roy goes to UNC, he'll need to get that AD fired too. Baddour is an embarrassment as he proved in the PC to get rid of Doherty. He could barely read his damn statement.
NCPony

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:08 pm

You are right. Either coach could keep either school great in b'ball. Actually, I have talked to players who played for Brown and Roy and they'll tell you that Brown is a better teacher. They'll also say that Brown is not nearly as good of a man as Williams. BTW-Announcement coming this afternoon that Al Bohl has been fired and a KU alum Drew Jennings will be named interin AD.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball